What Scale To Use?

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

25 Oct 2013 19:35

I am interested in creating new content, and am wondering what scale is used for prefab models? Is the scale 1:1 (in other words 1m = 1 m)?

Can ZModeler import .3ds format mesh? I would prefer to work in my usual Autodesk Max 2012 environment, then finish up using either ZModeler or Blender.
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

RoadRageDude
Donation rank:

25 Oct 2013 20:25

well i dont know what scale it is but what new content u talking about?

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

25 Oct 2013 22:44

Zmod can use .3ds, in fact we look for people with some 3d modelling skill. I know a couple of people using Cinema4D/3DSmax and then get it into their game with zmod3.

Scale of the road I have no idea. I think lot's is defaulted in sii files (like the roads). Prefabs got to be matching them, no idea how they get it that right.

For buildings I just look to a SCS model and than scale it accordingly myself.
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

26 Oct 2013 00:02

Okay thanks. I guess I'll install Blender and use it to view some of the prefab buildings to get some idea of the actual scale. I've got a wild hair to create some custom buildings, beginning with my local Aldi store. I can easily take some really hi-res photos with my camera and tripod to get nice images of all four sides of the building, Maybe later a McDonalds, Burger King, etc.

I might also take some photos of one of the nearby TA truck stops (Travel America).

For FSX and Prepar3d we use "1 unit = 1 meter" which is essentially 1:1 ratio. I suspect that ETS2 uses the same scale.
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

26 Oct 2013 09:46

Just something worth noticing: Blender doesn't want to open the real ppd prefab files wich will give loading bays etc...

But I was thinking about this: Could you send me the created models and I am more than happy to convert it to a ETS2 prefab (if we could use it in promods that would be even cooler. Maybe some mac/burger king company loading bays ;). Ofc credits will be given ;)

RoadRageDude
Donation rank:

26 Oct 2013 17:50

Mcdonalds and Burger King in ETS2? i will feel hungry if i saw one and drove to one.

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

26 Oct 2013 18:49

Nico wrote:Just something worth noticing: Blender doesn't want to open the real ppd prefab files wich will give loading bays etc...

But I was thinking about this: Could you send me the created models and I am more than happy to convert it to a ETS2 prefab (if we could use it in promods that would be even cooler. Maybe some mac/burger king company loading bays ;). Ofc credits will be given ;)
Sure. I'll take some time tomorrow (Sunday afternoon) to do a photo shoot at Aldi and McDonalds. There is a McDonalds in the Europe Rebuilding map, but whoever modeled it didn't include a parking lot or a "drive up window"! :shock:

As for Blender not being able to load the .ppd files, that sucks. I really don't want to buy ZMod3 just to look at existing files, but I guess I'll have to do just that. Darn it! :lol:
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

27 Oct 2013 09:51

Looks fab mate. Just keep us posted on the progress ;)

And if you need help just ask me, but looks like you can figure it out ;)

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information