Why do most on ramps have give way sign in EU?

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Gazer75
Donation rank:

27 Oct 2013 21:28

Been wondering this ever since I started with ETS2.

Here in Norway at least there is a mutual give way, or "zipper rule" if you like.
Example of signs on both main road and on ramp: http://goo.gl/maps/ZCFH3

Must be very annoying if you have to stop due to heavy traffic and then try to get in on a motorway with 100km/h or more.

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

28 Oct 2013 06:55

LoL give road sign doesn't mean Stop... And heavy traffic causing you to stop will only happen if you can't drive properly or if there is a traffic jam...
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

RoadRageDude
Donation rank:

29 Oct 2013 02:03

ugh i hate traffic jams :(

Gazer75
Donation rank:

29 Oct 2013 12:52

Would be chaos here in the morning and evening rush if we didn't have "zipper rule" I think. With all lanes full and not being required to make a hole for people coming down a ramp it would be a mess.
But then the capacity on the roads in cities here are poor. Rush traffic usually means it takes 2-3 times as long to get from A to B.

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

29 Oct 2013 16:10

Lol it's not like when there is a jam no one can enter the road... We don't need a "zipper" rule to let the people come in the motorway :p

And btw in the netherlands we don't have any give way signs

Laarus

10 Nov 2013 17:20

The Give Way command is fairly moot if you follow the rules of the road....

The on and off ramps are really called 'Acceleration & Deceleration Lanes' and that is what you should really do. As you approach the sign you should be speeding up so when you reach the main carriageway you have a similar speed to the traffic and you can just join into them at their speed. Similarly you peel off and slow to surface traffic speed as you end your journey. You should only stop to wait for a gap if no gap exists, usually because the main flow of traffic has stopped.

In the UK we have even taken to trying out the American On Ramp flow lights, to stop letting too many vehicles join the main carriageways at once on the busiest junctions

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

10 Nov 2013 20:40

Yeah we have those lights as well and they are utter crap. There is no real use to them...

Only thing that happens is that there is more distance between the cars but often they all need to stop again at the end of the ramp :mrgreen:

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

10 Nov 2013 22:35

There is a use for those stoplights, or "Ramp Metering Lights" as they are officially called. The purpose of these lights are to prevent that the mainline gets congested by limiting the flows from the access points. Now, there will be minor congestion at the lights themselves, but in the end, the main motorway will be less congested, or when applied effectively, not at all.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Laarus

10 Nov 2013 23:10

MandelSoft wrote:There is a use for those stoplights, or "Ramp Metering Lights" as they are officially called. The purpose of these lights are to prevent that the mainline gets congested by limiting the flows from the access points. Now, there will be minor congestion at the lights themselves, but in the end, the main motorway will be less congested, or when applied effectively, not at all.

I agree these lights are supposed to work like that, but do they make a difference in the UK? Maybe, if you count a 2mph improvement successful.... It's not a major fix and that'll need better thinking. I doubt computer controlled cars would help much either, I don't fancy letting some machine that says, "Hello, I'm the Google Car," take over from me.... I'm sure there's lots of others who agree with that.

123Goh!
Donation rank:

12 Nov 2013 16:41

Gazer75 wrote:Would be chaos here in the morning and evening rush if we didn't have "zipper rule" I think. With all lanes full and not being required to make a hole for people coming down a ramp it would be a mess.
But then the capacity on the roads in cities here are poor. Rush traffic usually means it takes 2-3 times as long to get from A to B.
In the State of Washington, U.S.A. there is a YIELD sign at the end of the on ramp, I think it tells motorist to merge.

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information