Other Map Discussion (Mainly TSM)

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
KubaJAM
Donation rank:

09 Jun 2014 20:08

Sorry, but could you try and write in English only? It saves space and if you need to write in Polish you can on a private message :)

As for the map, in Finland, soon there will be many more cities, and I think Kutchek's France work is nothing short of fantastic. Fair enough, Germany can get boring, but Promods are planning a rework. Head over to the Development Updates section and you might find some more interesting facts ;)

miler510

09 Jun 2014 20:22

ok I will try to speak only in English but my English is not perfect,

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

09 Jun 2014 20:24

Yep no problem, use Translate, that's fine :)

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

10 Jun 2014 07:40

miler510 wrote:Then Finland was expected to lakes and forests and there every two tunnels to cross, and that's it?
Finland hasn't changed since version 1.0 in the public releases. However, for the next releases, we have quite a few new Finnish cities ready:
- Hämmeenlinna
- Jyväskylä
- Kuopio
- Lahti
- Mikkeli
- Porvoo
- Tampere
miler510 wrote:Later course from Helsinki to Oslo is a big city but boring (why? Because the intersection at the intersection of)
Sorry, which of the two is boring? And can you explain why you think these cities are boring?
miler510 wrote:the same Copenhagen there is not even know where is the city?
I can agree that København is quite confusing. Apart from the E20, even I think the setup of the city is questionable. But little has changed in this city since version 1.0. We may plan a reconstruction, but there's only a limited amount of manpower we can deploy...
miler510 wrote:A GPS Malmo if not I would not know how to drive there,
Have you checked the signage? Usually I make sure that it should be clear enough.
miler510 wrote:France? perhaps completely newly made but enters from Calais to Le Havre, in my opinion, mixed.
Calais is from the original map. Everything west from the line Calais-Paris is completely new. You should check out Cherbourg, Poitiers, Le Mont-de-St-Michel, but also the landscape in France in general of that area.
miler510 wrote:ai Sweden, all the time only forest, forest, forest,
That's Sweden for you: forests and lakes. It really is that boring in reality too! The E4 between Ljungby and Jönköping is in real life a 200 km stretch of motorway with nothing more than forests. Almost no hills, no clearings, just a forest. Heck, on some points on the E4 they even warn you for "dangerous boredom" :lol:
miler510 wrote:and passing from Germany to Denmark, where you can see the glaring difference enters the Promods, why?
Because we need to rework that. Denmark has received quite a make-over in the upcoming version and Germany will get a similar treatment, especially Northern Germany.
miler510 wrote:Germany and the winding highway intersection from SCS and Denmark the new intersection, straight highway, or changing it so even half of junctions on the old map to the new, or on the new map gives the old intersection,
Huh, what do you mean here? That we use the stock interchanges on the new sections of the map? Well, sometimes the old style interchanges can fit well in certain situations. However, the use of them depends on the mapper on the team. Some mappers tend to use more stock interchanges (Platypus), while others mappers tend to use custom interchanges (Nico, PH-AMG and myself). Especially for the Germany reconstruction we tend to use custom interchanges only, since they are more flexible.
miler510 wrote:and when you cross the old map on the TSM can not see so much difference.
I beg to differ. This is how the transition at Kiel looks like on the TSM map. Note how the different terrain textures disappear on the transition:

Best,
MandelSoft
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

cashtime2013
Developer
Donation rank:

10 Jun 2014 08:07

Now that's what I call a comprehensive reply Mandelsoft :D . Anyway, it's easy to forget that some real landscapes don't have much detail (boring is an over-used word), so if you accurately reproduce dull scenery, it will still be dull :lol: . When I checked out Traian's Romania map, I was disappointed by some of the flat featureless landscapes, until I saw the same areas on Google street-view. They were almost identical :o . But that 's probably why TSM mapped North Africa. Endless desert's not hard to model, is it? ;)
British Isles Developer

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, Intel i5 quad-core CPU, nvidia Geforce GTX 1650, ASUS VZ249HE 24" monitor, 750watt PSU, ETS2 & ATS 64bit

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

10 Jun 2014 09:01

Nope. And forests are surprisingly easy too, since trees can be automatically placed. You can finish it off with some terrain brushes and fences. Open landscapes are much harder to look good (especially with lots of farmland), as well as cities (due to their complexity).

Deserts are plain and easy: just a texture, some terrain shaping and that's it.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

10 Jun 2014 15:51

But that's the point! There's hardly any terrain shaping either. Just hills! Constantly 70mph drops down to 12mph and back again every 30 seconds. There's not even an irregular pattern! And of course, the AI rams you up the...
MandleSoft wrote: That's Sweden for you: forests and lakes. It really is that boring in reality too! The E4 between Ljungby and Jönköping is in real life a 200 km stretch of motorway with nothing more than forests. Almost no hills, no clearings, just a forest. Heck, on some points on the E4 they even warn you for "dangerous boredom" :lol:
Being from the south Uk, I don't find the forests all that boring. It's quite refreshing scenery actually. There's only one forest within 50 miles of where I live :lol:. If you live in Poland, though, you can understand why it's kind of boring.
cashtime2013 wrote:Anyway, it's easy to forget that some real landscapes don't have much detail (boring is an over-used word), so if you accurately reproduce dull scenery, it will still be dull :lol: .
Exactly! You can tell how good the mappers are based on how boring the detail is :lol:

Purno
Donation rank:

10 Jun 2014 18:45

uk_daf_fan wrote:Exactly! You can tell how good the mappers are based on how boring the detail is :lol:
Reminds me of all the people suggesting me to add trees to Iceland...

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

10 Jun 2014 19:31

Hahaha yeah that's true.

miler510

11 Jun 2014 19:10

1) do not know how to cite just like you and like you showed me I would be happy
2) Boring City? Oslo, I do not see where the center Sztokcholm is one of the prettiest towns on the map, you can see the ring roads and see the center, not like in Oslo where I see only bypasses
3) what is Singage as if you could explain to me because I do not understand. (Google translator I have not translated)
4) Cherbourg (cool way to port) Le Mont-de-Saint-Michel looks like the real thing, but the rest of France somehow not so much like me
5) Sweden - I thought she was different because in racing games Colin McRae Rally from 1 to 4 Sweden is snow-covered woods and fields, and these fields I was missing. Once again, however, Sweden is perhaps the woods, but "http://www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=765&start=10" TSM pictures on this page showing the episode Lyon - Marseille, and these, in fact, also do not differ much (but in real life there are more houses on this section)
6) when I talked about the differences of maps, I did not mean textures, but mostly intersections - badly understood me

map Promods already visited, and far after the ride will not be until there is no version 1.7

where it says how much and what the city will be in future versions Promods because I thought that will be a total of 4 in Finland

and at the end of the question whether the PR can be here to speak, whether it is a different map?

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information