F1 Season starts on this weekend

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Jason

15 Mar 2014 17:28

I decided to flick onto F1 for 10 minutes. The engine note of them cars is awful! :(
Facebook | YouTube | My WOT Profile
7 Years of serving the TruckSim Community...

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

15 Mar 2014 17:55

Nico wrote:DTM is cool but NASCAR is alot better :D

At least there are no silly penalties. If you hate a guy, you will tell him with a good hit :p
that makes motorsport fun... F1 is just getting boring.
F1 used to be better (I actually watched it 10+ years ago) but NASCAR? How driving in a circle can be your thing? :P

nlhans

15 Mar 2014 21:57

The engine note doesn't fit these modern F1 cars . Very disappointed. I've been watching this sport for years, and I suspect this season may (finally?) be putting me off.

Don't get me wrong, I do like hearing the sounds and squeaks the turbo and transmission makes (although that's also a sign they aren't that loud, for example you can hear the crowd clearly and tires locking up too), but F1 for me has been screaming engines above at least 15000 rpm, not till 15000. They don't seem right to me for the highest level of circuit racing, maybe for Le Mans...

I have read these engines are introduced to make the sport interesting again for engineers & manufacturers. Well I'm sorry, but Le Mans has been very open to diesel and hybrid technology engines, and even the likes of Peugeot and Porsche aren't convinced of such a project and withdraw quickly or there is always discussion.

The cars are hardly any faster than GP2. For example: the 107% qualify time (slower & you're disqualified) in 2013 Barcelona was 1.27.448, with the slowest Marussia clocking 1.25.070.
The GP2 pole time was 1.28.706. About 3,6 seconds slower.
The Australia practice sessions of 2013 & 2014 compared show a laptime drop of 4-4,5 seconds. They are probably still learning about the cars, but that doesn't hold much margin at all. In my opinion, a F1 car no matter which team should be faster than any other Formula series.
If GP2 cars are really faster than the slowest F1 team, because some of the back teams are really struggling this year, they should let the GP2 pole man join the F1 race, see who ends up where.

I do like that these engines bite more with the throttle pedal, which makes it more challenging to drive (just like when they banned TC).

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

15 Mar 2014 23:25

LA-MJ wrote:F1 used to be better (I actually watched it 10+ years ago) but NASCAR? How driving in a circle can be your thing? :P
The circle part is indeed not sounding very spectacular but when you see 40 of them, close to each other, bumping etc... compared to Vettel beating everyone would curling be even more interesting than F1.
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

Xtry_online
Donation rank:

16 Mar 2014 05:36

For years I have watched F1, and yes some boring seasons with winning streaks of Schumacher and Vettel. But Season 2012 was realy good. With the title in the last race between Alonso and Vettel. There are always better and worser seasons.
And I share the opinion of most F1 fans that it was a mistake to downgrade the engines AGAIN whats next? Elektric F1? OH NO that already exists :s.
But its true that Eclestone and the F1 itself is murdering the sport. With high prices to even watch or go to the race live. And ridiculus changes every year.
Sorry for my poor English. It is not my native language.

Add me on Steam and PSN: Xtry_online

Jason

16 Mar 2014 09:42

I know exactly what also helped to make F1 so good though... Murray Walker! Amazing commentator who provided entertainment for those at home, sat eating a pizza! :mrgreen:

Still, F1 isn't that great to be fair anymore... I mean when can you do this in F1 without taking everybody off (I know they both went off at the end, but I'm on about the first incident)? :lol:

polar
Donation rank:

21 Mar 2014 09:18

I watch F1 from the 70's till now but this year is maybe the last year I will watch F1, so disappointing about the sound and new rules which makes it more and more boring to watch.
I'm a happy man when I think to the early days of F1, I'm glad to have seen the old races and actions which you don't see any more, so for me it over with this what they called F1 which is nothing more as watching 1 hour vacuum cleaner on track battle.

I think to switch to the WRC rally championship, it's less boring and full of action ;)

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

21 Mar 2014 09:26

Even curling has more action now... :?
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

Jason

22 Mar 2014 10:14

polar wrote:I think to switch to the WRC rally championship, it's less boring and full of action ;)
I abandoned watching the WRC back in 2011 when they switched to S2000 Cars! So instead of it being the Focus vs. C4... It's now Fiesta vs. DS3 vs. Polo vs. Mini vs. Donkey! :lol:

As well as that, Sebastian Loeb left the Championship about a year ago - I was at least hoping he was going to try and claim 10 Championship Titles! :mrgreen:

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information