ProMods for ATS

Ask questions about the ATS mod here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
lykopotoboy

12 Feb 2016 06:43

Dearnen wrote:I have begun a map mod for ATS at 1:20 scale. Right now it only consists of a background image of the US and Canada made from Google maps. I have no prior experience with making mods for ETS, so this will be a challenge for me, but I really think the map that SCS made is deficient in several ways. I'm going to start building the roads in San Diego and work outward from there.

That said, if Promods or anyone else is planning (or already working on) something similar, maybe we could join forces. It's a big project and would be best tackled by a team, imho. If anyone is interested, let's get coordinated.
Even though I have know mapping expierience yet, my knowledge of the Interstate system might help so I would be interested in working with you . Pm if your interested and we can talk anout details ;)
Connoisseur of all things road, rail, water, and flight!
World of Trucks:

RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

12 Feb 2016 07:11

Yes, ATS does seem like a pre-release in some ways. OTOH I don't regret the bucks I sent to SCS for it; glad to support this team and their fine work. I'm guessing there may be free or reasonably priced upgrades coming along later for early buyers...

About scaling of maps -- I am ignorant of the map design process so this may be a really stupid question, but is it possible to have multiple scales in the world, so that long boring stretches (Idaho, Iowa, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Saskatchewan, we're talkin' bout you!) could be a more compressed scale than the more interesting bits like, say, the crowded landscape of California or the East Coast sprawl? I mean, is it all or nothing -- the whole continent at 1:19 vs 1:30 (or whatever choice we are presented with), or could bits of it be at 1:30 and other bits at 1:15 if we want more detail and more realism? Just a thought.
British living in Canada, over 60, Hackintosh AMD RX580/8GB, OSX Mojave
USBcycle
The Beginner's Guide to SCS Mapping (WIP)
All DLCs + ProMods (sometimes: + RusMap + SR + GreatSteppe) Level 43

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

12 Feb 2016 07:38

That would make the map look very funky and it won't be possible to make the time scale accordingly in the different scaled areas, but basically it is possible.
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

12 Feb 2016 11:06

The map is physically in one scale only. So if you want to apply multiple scales on one map, you get problems at the borders of areas where one scale transits to another, and of course there are only two time scales: the scale within a city and the scale outside of it. Combine these facts and you'll see that you'll open a can of worms...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

RobertKNL
Donation rank:

12 Feb 2016 12:38

RootlessAgrarian wrote:Yes, ATS does seem like a pre-release in some ways. OTOH I don't regret the bucks I sent to SCS for it; glad to support this team and their fine work. I'm guessing there may be free or reasonably priced upgrades coming along later for early buyers...
Arizona is in development and will be free for those who bought it early enough. There's also a steam punk livery pack coming out and will be free for those who 'follow' the game on Steam.

machaqueso

12 Feb 2016 19:21

(First post on this forum, sorry if I break any rules.)

I would rather expand the map to the east coast using the 4 major east-west interstates (10, 40, 80, 90) as a baseline, building the cities they cross along the way. Then do the same with major north-south interstates (5,15,35,75,95).

I think the official DLCs are expanding east from California so I would start with I90 on the east coast and work my way back iterating detail into the cities...

RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

12 Feb 2016 23:49

Thanks for the educational responses about mixed scales... yes, I see now that it could quickly degenerate into a mess.

A US map (like ROS) does raise a question about the Long Boring Bits (big areas with low population, few landmarks, towns, ramps, or other distinguishing features to keep the player's interest). I admit w/some embarrassment that I have cheated my way past some long "empty" segments of ROS... not to scam more deliveries and more game-money, but because I didn't have the patience or free time to sit at my computer for that many minutes of Not Much Happening (especially at night). Maybe thereby I missed all kinds of amusing easter eggs that the ROS team left to reward the patient driver!

But cheating your way fwd by teleporting really does feel dishonourable :-( because the clock doesn't tick while you're flying around. I wonder if it would be possible to offer an option like "Skip X miles of the long boring bit up ahead, but use up the correct amount of time for my average driving speed over that section, including sleep breaks if fatigue is turned on". Then people with limited real-world playing time could hasten on to the Good Bits without feeling that they were shameful cheaters, and people with more free time could enjoy the long relaxing drive w/proper, consistent scale and clock...
British living in Canada, over 60, Hackintosh AMD RX580/8GB, OSX Mojave
USBcycle
The Beginner's Guide to SCS Mapping (WIP)
All DLCs + ProMods (sometimes: + RusMap + SR + GreatSteppe) Level 43

ETS2-User
Developer

13 Feb 2016 08:45

After teleporting you can set the time forward yourself with the console command g_set_time xx
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

brockshankar

14 Feb 2016 09:22

I think Promods team should work on a much better map scale like 1:19. As everyone of us are used to ets2 map scale, It will feel much better to drive at the same scale..The problem will be making it an add-on map which is already in 1:32 or 1:34 ..
Either it has to be a standalone.. But during the start, the amount of roads to drive will be very less and scs will be releasing more updates too..This aint gonna feel good anyway..

I think it should start off as an addon map ,but with the scale of 1:19 , and only in the areas scs wont be working anytime soon.. The connection between those wont be authentic and map borders wont be aligned.. But i think we have to sacrifice on that, until we are ready to make it into a standalone map(or maybe something like rebuilding existing america map into a new scale).

We should start a poll, once we have a team about what are the options is favored by most..I dont know about the models in this game and their scale..

I live in canada, and i know a little about map editing..

AssassinLV
Donation rank:

14 Feb 2016 11:59

Just start with 1:19|1:4 or 1:20|1:4 scale...

Even if it would be smaller then SCS default - it would still be LARGER then SCS, cause it would have more cities (like 20 per state) :) Cities would be even more bigger, and so along. Also there won't be requirement or worries cause of DLC's, but it could be simply possible to use their assets, but no constant requirement for rebuilding cause of SCS DLC's.
Mom says to son.
Hey son - can you go to the shop and buy the milk, if they have eggs - buy six.
Sure.
Son goes to the shop and buys six packs of milk and goes back home.
Why did you buy six packs of milk?
Because - they had eggs. And you told me to buy six - if they had eggs.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ATS”

• Information