Does ProMods Modify AI Drivers' Behavior?

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
kerbalman
Donation rank:

13 Mar 2016 14:14

I'm uncertain if this is a PM problem or a base game problem.

At multiple locations in PM territory, I encounter stupid AI behavior, such as:
1) Cars stop in middle of road where roads merge (this is NOT an entrance ramp).
2) As we pass an entrance lane, the AI vehicle (in the right lane, I'm in the left lane) will suddenly swerve into the entering lane to enter into the same lane it was just in. It will just stay there, waiting to re-enter.
3) Vehicle in an entering lane will move part way into the right lane, thereby blocking a vehicle in the right lane. So both vehicles are stopped, even though the entering vehicle clearly has the space to enter the right lane.

I have encountered these behaviors many, many times. They nearly always occur where vehicles are entering or near entering lanes.

Vøytek
Developer

13 Mar 2016 14:45

Yeah, that's bad. Especially AI stopping to let other cars enter the road or entering your lane suddenly. AI has to be rewritten in my opinion but it's a lot of work for sure :/
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Horizon™
Developer

13 Mar 2016 15:34

Well, it is sort of ours, and SCS's fault. Experienced lots of those situations in the Germany, but it is sort of fault of prefabs, and very strange behaviour of AI - Very notable issue, if road becomes from 4 to 2 instantly.
Post is proudly delivered by Horizon's Logistics
Roaming through desert

Developer of Lithuania
Developer of Kazakhstan
Developer of Iraq

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

13 Mar 2016 17:54

The answer is both yes and no.
Yes, we added some new prefabs and this may lead to unexpected driving behaviour. And some traffic signs trigger traffic rules we don't want to have. And no, we did not change any of the behaviour parameters of the traffic.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

kerbalman
Donation rank:

16 Mar 2016 13:55

Today, another shining example of the AI problem. I was already in a traffic circle in Swansea. An AI vehicle attempted to enter and crashed into me; I was convicted of causing the crash (440€) and received 4% damage to my vehicle. I reloaded a previous save, and the same damned thing happened again; therefore, it was not a one-off situation.

EDIT: This just happened. I'm proceeding through an intersection in Cardiff. Oncoming vehicle turns left into me. Because light was already red (it was green when I entered the intersection), I'm convicted of causing the crash again.

Frustrating as hell. The AI in this game has always been horrible, abjectly stupid. Amazingly enough, it's better than it was when I first became a beta tester years ago. As a developer for over 45 years, i wonder how difficult it would be to change the AI such that:
if (player vehicle in path)
{
stop the f**king car
do not charge player for AI's stupidity
do not cause damage to player vehicle and cargo
}

Time to reload...again.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information