Launch

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Randleman

14 Aug 2016 01:51

Hi all,
I was wondering if you could help me figure out something.
When I click on ETS2 and play.. I get the following options
-Play ETS2
-Launch with DirectX
-Launch with OpenGL
-Launch in Safe Mode
-Play ETS2 (64-bit)
-Launch with DirectX 64-bit
-Launch with OpenGL 64-bit
-Launch in Safe Mode 64-bit

I was wondering what I should select upon starting ETS2?
I mean, I have a pretty good computer. Actually, I think my computer is overkill for ETS2. Even my GeForce Experience recommends me to run ETS2 in the absolute highest possible settings.. Yet the game is not running smoothly on my PC. The game stutters in big cities.. The game occassionally stutters on open roads. The vSync is horrible..
So I was wondering, maybe it has something to do with the way I tell ETS2 to launch

My specs are:
-Intel Core i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
-GeForce GTX 970
-Windows 10 pro 64-bits
-16GB RAM
-DirectX version 12

So like I said.. I figured my PC is kinda overkill for ETS2.. Why does this game run so poorly then, whereas the other games I play (such as World of Warcraft and F1) all run extremely smoothly on the highest settings?

I'd really appreciate some help and advice here.

PS. Before you recommend a clean re-install. I did that yesterday, as I only got this new PC a week ago.

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

14 Aug 2016 02:58

The best option is "DirectX (64-bit)" IMO
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

Randleman

14 Aug 2016 12:51

But how come this game runs so poorly on my PC then?
I mean, my specs are good enough to run ETS2 easily. Yet, driving into major cities like München, Hamburg, Stockholm is undoable. It lags so badly it's unplayable.
It almost seems like this game ran better on my old windows7 computer than it does now, which is strange to me.

So could anyone explain to me why ETS2 runs so poorly?

(Yes, I have tried without mods)

JetstreamF1

14 Aug 2016 15:40

I run ETS2 in DirectX 32-bit with a 64-bit computer but I don't run 64-bit ETS2 because in some places I run into some texture glitches on my truck.

About performance, I run my laptop in high performance mode, and I suggest turning vSync off

Hope this helps since I'm not an expert on this :)

Headquarters: Frankfurt am Main

Current Truck: DAF XF Euro 6(<5000km)

Journey Screenshots (Old Photos are on Pages 1-5): http://promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8253

Randleman

14 Aug 2016 15:58

I did that. I turned the vSync off.
My graphic drivers are all updated, I tried without mods, I tried to reduce the scaling from 400% down to 300%.. Nothing works.
I've even done a clean re-install today and it still runs poorly.

Honestly, it's starting to frustrate me quite a bit, since I obviously have a PC which is more than capable to run this game, yet it just runs poorly.
I don't know how to enable the FPS, but I'm quite sure it's never above 30. Especially when I come close to cities, the game is almost unplayable. Driving on the German highways is the absolute worst.

With my old PC I could live with it because I always assumed it was just my PC not being good enough. But now it frustrates me because I'm on a fresh new PC..
I have no idea what to do anymore to make this game run smoothly..

Edit: I just turned the scaling down to 150%, just to see if it would make a difference. Well, aside from the obvious crappier graphics, the game still stutters like there's no tomorrow.

Edit2: I just figured out how to enable that it shows FPS during gameplay.. I have around 30-40 FPS while driving on open roads, which is fine. Or at least, the game looks and runs fine.
But then when I go into a city, like just now I went into Antwerp, it drops to 15-20 FPS. Now I know that cities are heavier on the system than open roads of course.. But with a PC like mine, it should not drop below 30 FPS, not even in cities..

MistahDave
Donation rank:

15 Aug 2016 05:03

I just did a test. I'm currently in Slavbad, I have everything except for reflection detail maxed out (reflection on low) and scaling set to 150. Normally I get around 40-60 FPS across the majority of the map. Normally, I run in 64bit direct x. HOWEVER, this post has got me thinking, since the latest launch, Barcelona caused me no end of problems with lag, it's the only city in promods i've ever encounter any noticeable stuttering and my FPS dropping be low 20 so I decided to switch to the 32bit direct x to see what would happen.

Well in Slavbad on 64 bit I was getting 41 fps with my truck parked up and not moving in the location i'm at.

Switched to the 32bit and I was getting 63 FPS in the same location.

How is it possible to get more FPS on 32bit, I was honestly under the impression that 64bit was superior in terms of performance but my test dictated otherwise. I'm going to drive around and do some delivery's now on the 32 bit and see what happens.

I know that when the game first launched it was 32bit only but it's really interesting to see 32bit out preform, I didn't expect it. Any ideas why it could be?

I also don't know if I should have Vsync on or not.

Randleman

15 Aug 2016 14:00

MistahDave wrote:I just did a test. I'm currently in Slavbad, I have everything except for reflection detail maxed out (reflection on low) and scaling set to 150. Normally I get around 40-60 FPS across the majority of the map. Normally, I run in 64bit direct x. HOWEVER, this post has got me thinking, since the latest launch, Barcelona caused me no end of problems with lag, it's the only city in promods i've ever encounter any noticeable stuttering and my FPS dropping be low 20 so I decided to switch to the 32bit direct x to see what would happen.

Well in Slavbad on 64 bit I was getting 41 fps with my truck parked up and not moving in the location i'm at.

Switched to the 32bit and I was getting 63 FPS in the same location.

How is it possible to get more FPS on 32bit, I was honestly under the impression that 64bit was superior in terms of performance but my test dictated otherwise. I'm going to drive around and do some delivery's now on the 32 bit and see what happens.

I know that when the game first launched it was 32bit only but it's really interesting to see 32bit out preform, I didn't expect it. Any ideas why it could be?

I also don't know if I should have Vsync on or not.
So far turning vSync and Anti-Alliasing off made it better for me.
I run everything on ultra settings and 400% scaling. And turning those 2 off made me have 80 FPS on open roads and around 40 in cities.

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information