Development on version 2.x (Northern Scandinavia)

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
MandelSoft
Lead Developer

16 Aug 2016 21:12

From today, this thread has been renamed to Project "Northern Scandinavia", which will include everything north of the original DLC limits. And as a kickstart, I would like to show you what I've been working on the past few days...

Trondheim

Trondheim is about the largest city within 250 kilometers, around the same latitude as Sundsvall. Here, the E6, the E39 and the E14 come together, so it's a major hub for international routes in Norway. Trondheim is a port city surrounded by fjords, though this is only freight. No ferry services are present in the port

In our recreation of Trondheim, we have split up the city in two parts; the eastern part, which represents the Leangen industrial area, and the western part, which represents the port. The two are (indirectly) connected by the Rv706, which connects the E6 with the port by a city tunnel.

Screenshots from the eastern part:

Screenshots from the port:

Now comes the hardest part: the city is done, but all connecting roads are practically just bare bones (meaning that they are placed, but not landscaped for even the slightest bit). Each of these roads has its challenges:

E6: The main route to Oslo. It passes Gardemoen Airport and Lillehammer, but before you get to Trondheim, you have hundreds of kilometers of mountainous roads with little to no towns of any significance. It is beautiful, but sure it will be hard to landscape
E14: The hard part is near Trondheim, where it passes right through the Norwegian mountains and it passes near Trondheim Airport at Stjørdal. But once you get like 100 kilometers into Sweden, you have endless forests again. Not too hard in particular, though the E45 crosses the road at Östersund, which is also a significant town. We also have to create the connection in the south of Sundsvall, but I have made preparations for that when I built Sundsvall, fortunately.
E39: this one is the toughest. A lot of fjord coasts and seven ferries. Moreover, the Atlantic Road connects to this road and Ålesund is along the route. Furthermore, I'm not sure how we are going to tackle the connection at Bergen.

So, there is a lot still left to do before we can actually enjoy Trondheim.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Julmath
Donation rank:

16 Aug 2016 21:22

#NorwayHype

Looks great guys, as usual! I'm so glad you're finally working on Norway (excluding the Barents Sea project).
And yeah I know, "it's ready when it's ready" (official ProMods motto :D)

Chris94_NOR
Donation rank:

16 Aug 2016 21:34

Wow, what a lot of work done with Trondheim and still a massive pile of work to be done to get the connection to Trondheim. Good luck guys. Will be ready to test when all that is done, more like ProMods 2.3 or something :)

Now, the road upward from Trondheim will also be challenging. Just mountains and mountains. Just a bit north of Steinkjer you are coming to the south end of Fv17 that is over 630km with 6 ferry crossings. This road ends up outside of Bodø. It is dubbed as the Coastal Highway. It takes much longer than taking E6, but have much more scenery.
Developer of ScandinaviaMod ProMods map add-on
- E18 Oslo-Kristiansand(Larvik, Porsgrunn, Skien, Arendal)
- E39 Kristiansand-Stavanger(Stavanger & Kristiansand rebuild)
- E6 Lillehammer-Otta(rebuild)

ScandinaviaMod:
https://promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17799

MapDrawer
Donation rank:

16 Aug 2016 21:38

I'm so hyped for Trondheim and it's surrounding area! Those screens looked awesome! :shock:
Main Garage: Kassel (D)
Other Garages: -
Current Truck: Volvo FH Globetrotter
Current Level: 25 (Master)

Current Journey: Warszawa (PL) - Clermont-Ferrand (F)
Currently Transporting: Coal (24t)
Current Location: Aurach (D)
Route Length: 1347 km

norguy

16 Aug 2016 21:52

Amazing! I think the landscape looks very norwegian, perhaps even more norwegian than the areas in the DLC!

ruiks
Donation rank:

16 Aug 2016 22:05

Good news and good job! ;)

Barrett_killz

18 Aug 2016 13:52

Finally! Great job!

Dannu
Donation rank:

18 Aug 2016 13:56

Great job! Good luck with that ;)
Ex-ProMods Beta Tester from 1.90 to 2.64

AxelRäntilä
Donation rank:

18 Aug 2016 14:20

I was in Trondheim earlier this year. Beautiful city, and the road to the airport as well. Will be interesting to see what you'll do with the city

Rocar 512E

22 Aug 2016 12:50

wow that is nice! camt wait!

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information