Faroe Islands and Iceland Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
Purno
Donation rank:

05 Jun 2014 06:43

MarcRvB wrote:When i saw this topic i thougt: ''WTF XD''

But i saw the dev map of the plans on Iceland ( the map on page1) and i think that ÍSAFJÖRÐUR (north west Iceland https://www.google.nl/maps/place/%C3%8D ... d156b309f7) is a good point for a little city of north west Iceland
As you can see in my dev map I'm already considering Ísafjörður as a possibility. It would indeed be an interesting route to get there.

But I'm not gonna make Ísafjörður anytime soon. Making a map takes a lot of time. I only did two little villages so far, and the roads between them take quite a lot of time. I'll probably build the intersections for routes 60/61/68 on route 1, so I can expand the map later.
Ostpuff wrote:Is it possible to make the smaller roads really narrow? Like so narrow it just barely fits two trucks in there, because that would make for a good challenge to drive there. Just asking, because the Icelandic roads are really narrow irl as well.
That's gonna be a challenge. There's also quite a few one-lane bridges in Iceland, even in route 1. There's two challenges;
- The AI vehicles will not simply wait for an approaching car. The roadworks prefab could perhaps be modified to function like a one-lane bridge. But it might need traffic lights to be sure traffic flows.
- The GPS needs to recognize one-lane roads as two-direction routes.

Fortunately these small roads do not have heavy traffic. For a small road, like the quarry road I posted earlier, it's possible to disable traffic. That solves the AI-vehicle issue. But there's currently no small two-lane road prefabs in the game. There's one-lane roads, but the GPS probably won't use those in two directions.

I can't make these road prefabs myself, so I need to rely on someone else on the team to have the time for it.

Another thing I'm struggling with is the fact that a part of route 1 isn't paved. This is in the snow zone. There's currently no textures in game for a snowy unpaved road. I'm currently doubting whether to go for the snow-covered paved road (the only one in the game) or the no-snow unpaved road (like I used for the quarry). But I assume it's hard to get an unpaved road snow-free, so that last option makes little sense to me.

jdenm8
Graphics Designer

05 Jun 2014 07:04

If we're going realistic, that section of Route 1 is, according to Wikipedia, closed to traffic during Winter. They would be redirected along Routes 92 and 96 instead.

Reasoning as to why that section is unpaved seems to be that the route using 92 and 96 has a higher population density and is only 10km longer.
Curry?! My manual doesn't have any data on curry... What's the meaning of this...?!

Purno
Donation rank:

05 Jun 2014 07:21

jdenm8 wrote:If we're going realistic, that section of Route 1 is, according to Wikipedia, closed to traffic during Winter. They would be redirected along Routes 92 and 96 instead.
Interesting. I haven't started work on that part of Route 1 yet. I wonder, if I should make it at all. I already have problems making Route 1 shorter to be sure the GPS picks that route instead of 92/96.

But another option is to close off that part of Route 1, so people use Route 92/96. Any clue how a closed road looks like? Do they place signs, fences, roadworks, or just a pile of ice and snow?

What do other people think I should do? Should I make that part of Route 1 or close it off? For reference, I'm talking about this piece of road. It is one of the fewer inland pieces of roads though, as most part of routes 1 and 96 are coastal.

MarcRvB
Donation rank:

05 Jun 2014 08:06

Purno wrote:
MarcRvB wrote:When i saw this topic i thougt: ''WTF XD''

But i saw the dev map of the plans on Iceland ( the map on page1) and i think that ÍSAFJÖRÐUR (north west Iceland https://www.google.nl/maps/place/%C3%8D ... d156b309f7) is a good point for a little city of north west Iceland
As you can see in my dev map I'm already considering Ísafjörður as a possibility. It would indeed be an interesting route to get there.

But I'm not gonna make Ísafjörður anytime soon. Making a map takes a lot of time. I only did two little villages so far, and the roads between them take quite a lot of time. I'll probably build the intersections for routes 60/61/68 on route 1, so I can expand the map later.
Oh ok. thx for the link for the dev map :D
Good luck with your mapping around Iceland ;) (and take your time so long if you want)
My Gaming PC:
  • CPU: i5 4670K @3,4 GHZ / 3,8 GHZ
    GPU: MSI GTX 660 Oc
    HDD: some samsung HDD (1TB)
    SDD: 2x Samsung evo 840 120GB
    RAM: 8GB
    Motherbord: Gigabyte Z87A-D3
    Total fans: 7
    Steering wheel: Logitech Driving force GT
I <3 Promods! RESPECT! :D

MarcRvB
Donation rank:

05 Jun 2014 08:15

Purno wrote:
jdenm8 wrote:If we're going realistic, that section of Route 1 is, according to Wikipedia, closed to traffic during Winter. They would be redirected along Routes 92 and 96 instead.
Interesting. I haven't started work on that part of Route 1 yet. I wonder, if I should make it at all. I already have problems making Route 1 shorter to be sure the GPS picks that route instead of 92/96.

But another option is to close off that part of Route 1, so people use Route 92/96. Any clue how a closed road looks like? Do they place signs, fences, roadworks, or just a pile of ice and snow?

What do other people think I should do? Should I make that part of Route 1 or close it off? For reference, I'm talking about this piece of road. It is one of the fewer inland pieces of roads though, as most part of routes 1 and 96 are coastal.
Well in ETS 2 is it Always summer! (In my Volvo it says that in the Netherlands always around 22 degrees is)

And i found soemthing about the clossed road thingy: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... e_2011.jpg
My Gaming PC:
  • CPU: i5 4670K @3,4 GHZ / 3,8 GHZ
    GPU: MSI GTX 660 Oc
    HDD: some samsung HDD (1TB)
    SDD: 2x Samsung evo 840 120GB
    RAM: 8GB
    Motherbord: Gigabyte Z87A-D3
    Total fans: 7
    Steering wheel: Logitech Driving force GT
I <3 Promods! RESPECT! :D

Purno
Donation rank:

05 Jun 2014 08:18

MarcRvB wrote:Well in ETS 2 is it Always summer! (In my Volvo it says that in the Netherlands always around 22 degrees is)
Not anymore. In order to make Iceland snowy, it's probably spring.
And i found soemthing about the clossed road thingy: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... e_2011.jpg
Ah, good find!

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

05 Jun 2014 12:57

Looks like Iceland is going to be one of the most challenging mapping tasks yet! I'm sure you'll pull it off in time, though.

Chrischrill
Donation rank:

05 Jun 2014 13:34

Purno wrote:What do other people think I should do? Should I make that part of Route 1 or close it off? For reference, I'm talking about this piece of road. It is one of the fewer inland pieces of roads though, as most part of routes 1 and 96 are coastal.
If routes 92 and 96 are being made, I'd say ignore that part of route 1. Two roads into the same town starting at basically the same area? Focus on getting the map done. That part of route 1 could be a later addition in a year or so :)
Commonly known as Chrill on the Internet.

jdenm8
Graphics Designer

05 Jun 2014 14:32

Probably already implied, but I say go with 92/96 and echo the suggestion of just omitting that part of Route 1. 92/96 will probably be the better driving road anyway, Provided we don't get stuck behind a truck.

Should be an opportunity for a fantastic view when exiting the Fáskrúðsfjarðargöng Road Tunnel, provided you're including it.
Curry?! My manual doesn't have any data on curry... What's the meaning of this...?!

Purno
Donation rank:

05 Jun 2014 15:51

jdenm8 wrote:Should be an opportunity for a fantastic view when exiting the Fáskrúðsfjarðargöng Road Tunnel, provided you're including it.
Eh.... haven't discovered that tunnel on google maps yet. Got a link to its location?

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information