Regarding overall performance with ProMods

Installation problems or game crashes? Post them here.
Forum rules
ALWAYS FOLLOW OUR SELF-HELP GUIDE FIRST.

If you report a game crash ALWAYS post your game.log.txt in between CODE tags, or if it too large post it on pastebin.com and share the link.
keem85
Donation rank:

06 Sep 2017 23:23

Hi guys! I know this is an issue with ETS2 engine that cities tends to be very CPU intensive. But most noticeably with ProMods areas. I was just wondering if ProMods have a lot more assets in cities than what stock does? Right now I'm using Barcelona as a benchmark when trying to tweak some more juice out of the game. I'm playing this wonderful mod with a VR headset, so I need to get it above 45fps in order for it to be a smooth experience.. Graphical fidelity is not a problem with my 1080 card, it's the object-loading of ProMods objects that causes the drop.

i7 4770k @4.5ghz
16gb ram
ssd
1080 MSI GX

Vøytek
Developer

06 Sep 2017 23:42

We have a lot, lot more assets than vanilla game + some of our cities are really "crazy" in terms of road system. Game engine can't handle it properly, unfortunately.
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Almighty
Donation rank:

06 Sep 2017 23:43

And Barcelona is still a bit power hungry I believe :P
Happy trucking!

keem85
Donation rank:

07 Sep 2017 00:50

Ahh.. I wish I could find a middle way. I really can't live without ProMods either. What a dilemma for me :)

sikejsudjek
Donation rank:

07 Sep 2017 05:01

Would having a kaby lake processor overclocked to 5ghz fix this or does it still stutter ?

Darkcaptain
Donation rank:

07 Sep 2017 07:10

I think the problem is a graphic engine, is old, DirectX 9 etc... I play this game to Full settings, all options enabled etc... HDR ON, Antialising etc...

In some cities, the performance in fps is reduced, reducing the graphic settings (scale, details, AA etc ..) does not improve too much, although cities like Barcelona have been improved in 2.20.

In some tunnels, i have fps drops, i understand in VR it can be very annoying and for a while feel dizzy.

Other Mods. for example increased traffic density, skins IA traffic, realistic graphics etc.. also affect the performance. You have to know it, and seek a balance

Run the game in DirectX + 64 bits you get better performance.

Sorry for my english ;)

keem85
Donation rank:

07 Sep 2017 15:37

Yep. No I have the old Haswell i7 4770k overclocked to 4.5ghz. I'm planning to do the swap with coffee lake when it arrives next month, if it turns out to be a good one. Or I'll wait for Cannonlake. This old ETS2 engine seems to be mostly dependant on single core performance over anything else. I've tuned down traffic to 80%.. But skins and high definition textures does NOT impact performance on my rig, because my 1080 eats all of that stuff.. It's the object loading of assets in major cities that causes my CPU to go bananas :/

xander140
Donation rank:

07 Sep 2017 16:06

The problem is also that you use a VR headset. This is beta, the VR function, i beleve and your pc needs a lot more performance. I think the VR function is not optimized for promods only for the vannila game.

keem85
Donation rank:

07 Sep 2017 20:15

Nah that's not the case. It's a badly optimized DX9 engine that is the real issue here. It's very limited as to how many assets that can be put in to the game before performance starts to plummet. My rig is on the high end, but still we suffer. It's no difference for a VR user and for a monitor user, except VR users notices it much more when it dips below 45fps, which is the asynchronous spacewarp low limit. If it could stay above 45fps, VR users wouldn't notice any lag at all. And 45fps is a pretty low number that should in theory be easy to obtain in generally any game today, except with ETS2 it's not easy at all because of it's engine.. I saw some SCS folks talking about porting the game to DX11 and Vulkan rendering API. This would solve this issue in time I guess.

keem85
Donation rank:

11 Sep 2017 08:16

Hi ProMods guys

I've noticed some things whilst playing the last couple of days. It seems that some packed areas runs very smoothly, whilst other cities that are far less packed are actually lagging. I have not been able to pinpoint what asset that hogs the performance, but I am now certain that there are certain things in your ProMods package that does this. Because some big areas are running smoothly while other areas are lagging in an instant. This gives me hope that there is a possibility to vastly increase ProMods performance, especially for us VR users that are dependant on being over 45fps at all times. I would love to find out exactly what kind of asset(s) that are causing severe performance CPU hog, but I've yet to find out. Maybe you're able to debug it somehow? Is there a way I can help you locate it? :)

Return to “Gameplay issues ETS2”

• Information