Faroe Islands and Iceland Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
Moldova96
Donation rank:

09 Jul 2014 15:17

The link for the factory in Selfoss is here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sel ... c988b43f11

jontsuba
Donation rank:

09 Jul 2014 15:29

Anyway, if the real thing is empty, there isn't much you can do. Maybe it would be a better strategy to enhance the feeling of nothingness, that the player feels that is in the overwhelming middle of nowhere.

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

09 Jul 2014 16:42

I would advise to use brushes.

There are different types of grasses. Some contain more flowers and are a bit wild, others are very uniform. Dirt is always handy close to the road and pebble_stones could also prove usefull.
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

Chrischrill
Donation rank:

09 Jul 2014 16:55

jontsuba wrote:Anyway, if the real thing is empty, there isn't much you can do. Maybe it would be a better strategy to enhance the feeling of nothingness, that the player feels that is in the overwhelming middle of nowhere.
The difficulty is to create a feeling of nothingness whilst also keeping the feeling of quality work. There is a risk of making it look too simple when in fact it's just an accurate depiction. You raise a good point though. If one can make it feel like "I'm in the middle of nowhere", then that is just perfect. It's the way it should be between towns in Iceland.
Commonly known as Chrill on the Internet.

Purno
Donation rank:

09 Jul 2014 18:57

Moldova96 wrote:The link for the factory in Selfoss is here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sel ... c988b43f11
Thanks. Is this a close-enough reference?
Nico wrote:I would advise to use brushes.
Added some more brushes. Anyways, perhaps I'm being too harsh for myself. Perhaps it's not as bad as I think it is. (It's always hard to judge your own work). So, I made you a video so you all can judge it;

Arexander
Donation rank:

09 Jul 2014 19:25

I think you're just being too harsh on yourself. Watching the vid, I actually thought there were surprisingly much farmland out there, but that might have just been me knowing absolutely nothing about Iceland's farms. The suddenly appearing buildings were funny, but I'm not sure if you can do much for that when the space is so empty.

Slash
Donation rank:

09 Jul 2014 19:53

I think most of it is truly amazing! I realls like your work and the different landscape!
If you need some more suggestions:
What about some little rivers or lakes (perhaps even further away)?
Perhaps another texture along the road sometimes? Something like gravel, another grass, etc. as Nico said before

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

09 Jul 2014 21:09

Purno wrote:
jontsuba wrote:Is that junction like that in real life? Are there any google street view images?
https://www.google.com/maps/@63.879338, ... sC_6tw!2e0
Good grief! I can certainly see why folks stop and walk back to study those complicated signs... :lol:

I love that service (fuel/petrol) station at the real intersection. Given the long, lonely distances, I can see why that one is probably busy. :mrgreen:
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

himmi81
Donation rank:

09 Jul 2014 23:27

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Purno/ET ... 40708b.png the combin is not in iceland plz fix it

Purno
Donation rank:

10 Jul 2014 07:06

Arexander wrote:I think you're just being too harsh on yourself.
Thanks. I kinda was afraid of that already, which was the main reason for me to post that video.
Watching the vid, I actually thought there were surprisingly much farmland out there, but that might have just been me knowing absolutely nothing about Iceland's farms.
This seems to be the region with most farmlands. It's also a lot less mountainious that other parts of Iceland. (Actually, it's pretty flat).
The suddenly appearing buildings were funny, but I'm not sure if you can do much for that when the space is so empty.
Yeah, I need to set the distance setting, so buildings will be shown from a much longer distance.
Slash wrote:I think most of it is truly amazing! I realls like your work and the different landscape!
Thanks, glad you like it :)
If you need some more suggestions:
What about some little rivers or lakes (perhaps even further away)?
There are no notable lakes in the area, and there's already a river crossing at Selfoss and at Hella. Perhaps I'll add some small canals. It's something I plan for Vík anyways.
Perhaps another texture along the road sometimes? Something like gravel, another grass, etc. as Nico said before
Already added some small patches along the road. Does it need more?
n4gix.bill.leaming wrote:Good grief! I can certainly see why folks stop and walk back to study those complicated signs... :lol:
Complicated?
https://maps.google.nl/?ll=64.104406,-2 ... .6,,1,3.25
I love that service (fuel/petrol) station at the real intersection. Given the long, lonely distances, I can see why that one is probably busy. :mrgreen:
Which service station? There's no service station between Selfoss and Hella. Even worse, the nearest service stations are in Reykjavík or Vík.
himmi81 wrote:http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Purno/ET ... 40708b.png the combin is not in iceland plz fix it
There's no European-style harvester vehicles in the game files (at least, I wasn't able to find any). So it's either an American-style harvester, or nothing. Which would you prefer?

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information