Status of the Promods for ATS

Ask questions about the ATS mod here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Vøytek
Developer

17 May 2018 15:04

pmax330 wrote:
16 May 2018 20:32
they seem to care only about ets 2 unfortunitally
I don't think anybody promised that there'll be 100% a PM ATS mod in the near future.
Many of us come from Europe, we have a lot of custom assets, ideas and motivation for it and we continue working here because
1. we like it
2. people want more and more Europe
Besides, maybe there's something coming from a dev or two, but it's too far away from the release to say anything in public? We share what we want ;)

I'd say it shouldn't be a surprise we care about ETS2 more, especially that SCS changes the ATS map all the time and every mod is ruined by it every few months...
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

pmax330

17 May 2018 20:45

there you go was it really that difficult. i'm not saying that it was promised by anyone however if there is a separate section for ATS on promods website and there is a topic called "Recruiting ProMods ATS developers" and the one we are here right now "Status of the Promods for ATS" where it has been said "Everything has been deleted from the map because the 1.29 update of ATS has completely changed the map, so we need to start from scratch again" and then few months later "It depends on SCS. They need to finish their updating of CA/NV/AZ, before we can merge our work back in" this kind of suggest it's development is going on and it must be something maybe not as big as promods for ets but some new roads regions or something since they wanted to merge it to the existing maps. I never said i am expecting it in the near future. in my mind the reason why ATS is not as popular as ETS is simple all efforts are focused on ETS and no one seems to give a shit about ATS where lest be honest there is far more space and terrain varies from state to state. people dont play ats because there are no good maps at all for it apart from mario map but it is one big mess. i'm not expecting ats promods any time soon, most likely in 4 5 years time if i had to guess if at all.

one more thing i will add. it is such a shame that all large map mods cant just be merged into one big map just to remove all those stupid map loading orders, fixes, road connection, ferry connection, compatibility issues etc. that is the only thing mario map does better it is all just one map but still not as good as promods
Last edited by Volleybal4life on 17 May 2018 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't quote the post directly above yours. https://www.promods.net/app.php/rules#rule-3k

Vøytek
Developer

17 May 2018 21:25

I never planned to do any ATS development myself but from my point of view I can understand why there isn't much going on.
When ProMods was created, there was only a part of Europe already existing and nobody expected this game will be a huge success. It also wasn't/isn't obvious where SCS will expand (if at all, and how much DLCs will come). So we made Scandinavia, Baltic countries, Spain, now the Balkans, we had some Italy, France... And now some developers may be really sad seeing their work gone (being replaced by a DLC). Yes, it's better quality, because it's newer and has more local assets but I believe it hurts after you put months or years into developing it.
In ATS it's different. They started on the west, not in the middle. So it's obvious they'll go to the east. Your work on every state will be overwritten sooner or later, because it's somewhat easy to guess that SCS wants to cover whole USA eventually (it wasn't obvious when ETS2 came out, so modders started expanding the map as I mentioned above). And in ETS we rebuilt Germany for example and it's safe there for a long time. But in ATS? They still upgrade small stuff or add new roads in the existing areas (which are much better quality than ETS2 base map). So it's just not worth to put your time into it, unfortunately.
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

brainiac
Donation rank:

17 May 2018 22:34

Sad, but you can't do anything except wait and build more of Europe.
I don't play ATS because of, mainly, wrong road profiles, unlike Promods. I hoped for better map, but...
Anyway, ETS map is every time better and better and I can't wait for next release.
Working on San Diego map, 2:5 scale: www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25293
I NEED HELP for:
- landscape
- details
- signage and
- company advisors (which companies to put where)

ScuL
Founder

18 May 2018 13:08

What Vøytek said above is very correct. The way that SCS is dealing with ATS makes it very difficult for us to make any useful improvements.

If we build new areas, roads, cities in areas that are not yet in the game they are bound to be overwritten by SCS DLCs (which would be a waste of time and effort)
If we rebuild existing roads and areas then, as it currently stands, there is a high likeliness that work is also being overwritten because SCS are still rebuilding and adding areas in existing states.

Until they finally "stablise" the old parts of the map, the ProMods ATS guys can go and place their improvements. Yes we have a "team" that has worked on this but they are recruits and therefore not official developers (yet).
pmax330 wrote:
17 May 2018 20:45
one more thing i will add. it is such a shame that all large map mods cant just be merged into one big map just to remove all those stupid map loading orders, fixes, road connection, ferry connection, compatibility issues etc. that is the only thing mario map does better it is all just one map but still not as good as promods
Mario is a thief that has stolen other maps and assets without the owners' permission and has distributed his map illegally. It's strongly advised not to use that map, not just for reasons of stability and game performance but also out of moral and ethical grounds.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

loupdargent

18 May 2018 13:19

And the promods development in Europe is quite fast, when they will finish iberian penensula, balkans, and northern scandinavia, almost whole europe will be covered, and there will be just place for improvments of some areas or add a city here and there. Than maybe the team will have more motivation to improve the ATS map, which is to be honnest very good compare to base ETS 2 map.

Flywheel
Donation rank:

19 May 2018 04:16

WOW after reading this thread i was curious about this Mario map and was considering giving it a whirl, But after Scul's wrap i will give it a wide birth.

pmax330

20 May 2018 13:52

Mario is a thief that has stolen other maps and assets without the owners' permission and has distributed his map illegally. It's strongly advised not to use that map, not just for reasons of stability and game performance but also out of moral and ethical grounds.
[/quote]

True i know he stole maps from other people but i only meant that all these maps are packed as one map divided into 12 parts and thats it, where as here we have many different maps for which you need a correct load order, road connection mods, ferry connection mods, fixes, etc. which does effect quite badly loading time and performance as well because even if you have the correct loading order it doesn't mean the game itself will work smoothly which i have experienced myself, every time i was entering any town, city or larger junction it was beginning to lag badly however when i rearranged everything again after many attempts i got relatively stable 50 60 fps. i suppose thats the only drawback here really, it would be awesome if modders would combine their map mods with promods into one massive map but i suppose this will remain only as a dream.

i use marios map and i never experienced any stability issues, fps drops or any other performance problems to be honest. regarding "moral and ethical grounds" i dont really bother wasting my time on such things.

Neodammerung

21 May 2018 04:01

pmax330 wrote:
regarding "moral and ethical grounds" i dont really bother wasting my time on such things.
Maybe you will when map makers get fed up having their work stolen and stop making them. ;)

KyotoCarl
Donation rank:

22 May 2018 13:32

pmax330 wrote:
to be honest. regarding "moral and ethical grounds" i dont really bother wasting my time on such things.
That's kinda what society is built upon though... :?

Return to “Questions & Feedback ATS”

• Information