Several questions before I use this

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Benie

27 Jul 2014 05:13

So, I got several questions here before I use this mod.
1. I use TSM, and hearing it's incompatible with pretty much everything, is there a way to safely remove it and use ProMods instead? I am on a job right now and planning to complete that first, and then go back to my home base.
Would that be all I need to do, besides disable/remove TSM after? I do have a save backed up before installing TSM, and was told this might be the only way to remove it.

2. Why is it this particular map is so closely guarded to the point you will arrest people if they upload it on another site...? It's just a map. I don't see what's so special about it.

3. I don't get the setup thingy of this mod. Why does it have "make truck sounds louder", and "have regular damage, no damage, or more damage"? Is this a complete overhaul of game settings?

4. Does it have interesting cities and POI's like TSM does, and more?

jasper

27 Jul 2014 09:08

Hi ,

You should backup your game save before deactivating TSM map , sometimes in happens that the save has been corrupted , after deactiving some mods and adding new ones , but yes you must finish current delivery mission or that one will be canceled and you and your truck will be brought back to your home garage , if there are major changes on the mods activated.

Can't answer your second question and your third also.

There are awesome scenery to look out for in northern countries , you must really try it , Promods's guys are doing awesome works , you can see them in the appropriate section in this forum (Share the love) , there are screenshots of the players took during their missions.
Volvo FH Globetrotter XL 750HP 6X2/4 Midlift

Map coverage: 44,78%
Truck driven distance: 12275 Km
Overall driven distance: 879873 Km
Driven distance during jobs:548030 Km
HQ garage : Nice , France
Trips completed : 450

jontsuba
Donation rank:

27 Jul 2014 09:26

About the second question, it isn't just a map, it's THEIR map in which they have invested an humongous number of hours during more than a year, and it's reasonable that they don't want anyone taking their map and doing with it whatever they want without permission and/or crediting. And anyway, the mod is free, is it such a bother coming here to download it and say hello and have a nice chat with us and the creators ;)?

Arexander
Donation rank:

27 Jul 2014 09:42

About the third question, the ProMods team most likely decided to include those two setting overhauls because they are quite popular in the player base. Many players have said the trucks' engine sounds are too silent in the cabin and want them raised, so ProMods team added an option to raise the volume level a bit if you want. Same with the damage models, players have been asking for tweaks to the damage model, so again the mod team decided to include an option to tweak it to your liking. You don't have to change any of these settings if you don't want to, but it's nice to have the option to do so without downloading additional mods. ;)

adgjl
Donation rank:

27 Jul 2014 13:14

Promods really is very special, it is designed to be realistic and the level of detail is outstanding. Scenery has been thought about on every bit of road and I enjoy driving in promods areas more than in normal SCS areas.
As jontsuba said, the creators spend vast amounts of time on this project and as such don't want their work to be used by others without full credit. The forums here are great for general discussion too, and the one download location only means you can be sure this is the full, legit promods
Bugs are love, bugs are life

ScuL
Founder

27 Jul 2014 14:46

Thanks for your answers I have very little to add

As for the below
Benie wrote: 2. Why is it this particular map is so closely guarded to the point you will arrest people if they upload it on another site...? It's just a map. I don't see what's so special about it.
This is because moral values in the trucksim community are really very low. There are many people that steal mods, rebrand or recredit them and upload elsewhere. We've made it very clear that this is not tolerable with our works. We've invested nearly 2 years of our lives into this mod right now and anybody snatching it to claim it as their works is very low on the ladder of respect.
Benie wrote: 3. I don't get the setup thingy of this mod. Why does it have "make truck sounds louder", and "have regular damage, no damage, or more damage"? Is this a complete overhaul of game settings?
Because in order for the game to zoom across the entire map the game_data.sii file needs modifications.
When overruling this file it means that certain settings like damage & sound values will be overridden.
Therefore we decided to include these options in our mod config generator.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Benie

27 Jul 2014 17:11

Ok. I see. But in my opinion, I don't think you guys are even allowed to throw people in jail over someone reuploading your map. It's silly.
The map, is from the map editor provided from the developers of the game. I doubt the justice system can do anything about it.

Look, I can understand why you guys are so protective of it. But I've seen this before when it came to the Hard Truck: 18 Wheels of Steel series, years ago, with people thinking they have rights (like a custom skin for a truck), that they make this free software. And keep seeing they can't legally do this. The words "they stole it!" kept being said. And you know what happens? They get banned, because the mods get tired of hearing them whining about it.

Let me lay it out for you. There is no such thing as copyright claims over something that can be downloaded for free, unless this was a business(like Adobe and stuff like that) and not a fansite. :roll:

Just my two cents. If you wish to ban me for my opinion, go ahead. I already got the map. But at least I have moral values of not uploading it to another site. To be honest, I don't even think it's worth using it now, because this copyright crap puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Good day.

ScuL
Founder

27 Jul 2014 17:38

Benie wrote:Ok. I see. But in my opinion, I don't think you guys are even allowed to throw people in jail over someone reuploading your map. It's silly.
The map, is from the map editor provided from the developers of the game. I doubt the justice system can do anything about it.
No it's not. There is much more to our mod than just the map. The map-editor is provided FOC, our mod is provided FOC. The only charge we request is $1 for the download service but there is an FOC alternative as well. Mods can not be copyrighted. Intellectual property can be.
Our mod contains many works of art (textures, images, backgrounds, skins, 3D models) that have been hand-crafted by our team in meticulous detail. In return we make a tiny bit of money on donations and the ads served by the forum. If people post our work elsewhere it directly impacts the little bit of returns that we get for countless hours of work, ie. it's theft because we have not given permission for the distribution of the works anywhere but on this website.

PS: TSM do the exact same thing. (yet you may struggle to read their terms as they're in German)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

CaptainFlint

27 Jul 2014 17:50

Benie
You seem to not separate rights to use, rights to distribute and rights to claim oneself the author. While ProMods developers make their work free to use for everybody, it doesn't mean they granted permission to rebrand their work, remove any mentioning of the original authors and claim all the honour. When you do something for free, at least you expect that users should know who did it. And if somebody just claims he did all the work, it's a plain violation of license terms. Not to mention disrespect to original authors.

Besides, I didn't see anybody go to jail for stealing ProMods (well, "stealing" may not be the accurate term, but I use it for brevity). If you refer to DMCA claim mentioned in another thread, it doesn't mean imprisonment without trial. It's a report to the hoster or administrator about rights violation, which (if handled appropriately) will result just in removing the stolen material (and, maybe, also banning the user who uploaded it). Even if the resource does not cooperate and things go to official trial, it'll probably end up with a fine, not imprisonment.

jontsuba
Donation rank:

27 Jul 2014 20:04

Also, giving it for free doesn't mean that you are allowing to do with it whatever they want with. I don't know the exact way ProMods is distributed, but there there are many Creative Commons licenses with different attributions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_licences

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information