ETS2 about to lose mods

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
erkinalp

28 Jun 2018 08:45

SCS is so small and they will not be able to check IP of each mod or add-on made by third parties. They plan disabling unsigned add-ons(mods) to cope with that.
https://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=255918
That was one of the reasons I proposed relicense of map assets under a redistributable license and formation of a legal entity for ProMods.

Nissantruck

28 Jun 2018 10:42

If that crazy Eu law goes to affect then people who make mods to different games can basically kill the game,when they dont do mods for them anymore,because many games like the Ets2/Ats is still around after many years,because of mods that people make for them.
With out them i think,that those games would have been gone away from the use of different people a longtime ago,because the mods are the thing that makes the game more fun to use.
If that law will be issued someday in the future,then i dont think that i will make any trailer mods anymore,because i dont want any problems for me from that and what will happen to the Pm map mod,then too?
I dont think that i will use any games after,that law comes if i cant use any mods.So what kind of crazy people make ideas and laws like this one is and the same goes with the law for using memes or smily faces when you send messages to your friends or link some topic from the news to your social media profile.
How can links for news topics can be bad to some news companies copy rights things.I dont understand why things needs to go this far.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ_5lE ... IZu7IkSXYw
Senior Beta-Tester and translator for the Finnish language and
the Local language Moderator for the Finnish language in Discord.

jdenm8
Graphics Designer

28 Jun 2018 11:41

A. Relicensing the map wouldn't have changed anything.
I've also not seen anywhere where SCS mentions disabling modding. They discuss how modding would become illegal in the EU, but they don't discuss locking out modders entirely.

B. Becoming a legal entity just increases our legal attack surface making us even *more* susceptible. As it stands, we would already have to scan every post to make sure it doesn't contain copyrighted content.
Curry?! My manual doesn't have any data on curry... What's the meaning of this...?!

deleted_user_8875

28 Jun 2018 11:58

-
Last edited by deleted_user_8875 on 22 Apr 2020 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
I am sorry.. but I had to go...

brainiac
Donation rank:

28 Jun 2018 13:19

We always have option: To not update game and mod on latest version which support modding.
Working on San Diego map, 2:5 scale: www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25293
I NEED HELP for:
- landscape
- details
- signage and
- company advisors (which companies to put where)

Nissantruck

28 Jun 2018 15:26

Maxest wrote:
28 Jun 2018 11:58
Pavel from SCS said that if the law will pass they have to disable the mod feature because otherwise they would have responsibility for every single mod.
Scs will lose a lot of money when they do that,because people would lose interest in the game,when the game will not have mods anymore and what will happen to the Pm map mod after that?

brainiac wrote:
28 Jun 2018 13:19
We always have option: To not update game and mod on latest version which support modding.
Yes that is true.So then we could have the mods in the game and they could work too,but then i could not do any new trailers after that or ever update the game again and could the games work anyway after doing that,when so many people uses Steam for the games that they have.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ_5lE ... IZu7IkSXYw
Senior Beta-Tester and translator for the Finnish language and
the Local language Moderator for the Finnish language in Discord.

erkinalp

29 Jun 2018 12:27

Becoming a legal entity just increases our legal attack surface making us even *more* susceptible.
It will allow us to have a professional legal counsel and enable us make a deal with SCS to approve our content.

jdenm8
Graphics Designer

29 Jun 2018 17:00

It hasn't prevented us from engaging professional legal counsel in the past.
Curry?! My manual doesn't have any data on curry... What's the meaning of this...?!

Shiva

29 Jun 2018 19:23

If the law passes. Then the ability to make a deal with SCS wont help.
They might only be able to have a mod as a official mod, or no mod at all.
3rd parties will be the real problem.
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

erkinalp

29 Jun 2018 21:16

3rd option: Provide no or minimal content bundled and disclaim all responsibility of user-generated content (like OMSI or C:S). ProMods is better than SCS map. There are definitely similar quality works on vehicle assets.
If the law passes. Then the ability to make a deal with SCS wont help.
It will. ProMods would be an approved "official" mod of ETS2. Not every modder can make such a deal.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information