[Opinions] Beyond the Baltic Sea DLC

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Lakers20

08 Dec 2018 21:10

The cities of ATS (Oregon) are bigger and more vivid in my opinion than those of DLC Baltico. Scale is not justification.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

08 Dec 2018 23:09

It's true the cities in Oregon seem bigger then the Baltic cities.
Scale indeed isn't the issue here, it's the actual size of Oregon.

Look here: https://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!MT ... NjY3ODk)Mw
thetruesize.com is a website where you can easily compare country-sizes with each other.

Here you can see Oregon is almost as big as the the three Baltic states. And since the scale of ATS and ETS2 are basically the same nowadays, it's kinda obvious there's more room for cities. That's why the cities in Oregon can be made bigger then they can in the Baltic states.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

Lakers20

09 Dec 2018 00:39

Volleybal4life wrote:
08 Dec 2018 23:09
Look here: https://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!MT ... NjY3ODk)Mw
thetruesize.com is a website where you can easily compare country-sizes with each other.
Very interesting this site, now I can better understand the whole question of size of maps.

Thank you for the explanation ;)
Last edited by Volleybal4life on 09 Dec 2018 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited quote.

JohnsonJones
Donation rank:

09 Dec 2018 18:41

I haven't got the DLC yet but reading this thread I do see a consistent theme, if you see the posters' flags and their comments they can be summarised as 'SCS version of my country is more realistic, but I prefer the promods version of other countries.'

This seems to match my experience, as I have been to Riga and although the road layout was authentic and it had some appropriate landmarks the promods version didn't quite feel accurate. So I think promods does a very good job of making scenic roads and has much more ambitious interchanges but isn't as good at capturing the individual essence of places but is in general more interesting.

The exception (perhaps because it's newer) of the places I know is London, which has really captured the feel of the place and gives that feeling of being surrounded on all sides by tall buildings (I mean 5-7 floors rather than skyscrapers).

brainiac
Donation rank:

14 Dec 2018 05:33

It's time for me to write review.
I can't say is something realistic or not except St. Petersburg. I am very satisfied with its ring road and I am very glad that SCS finally decided to use 4-lane highways and 5. exit lane. For me, that is enough. Also, ZSD is really great. But there is end of good things in St. Petersburg. Interchanges are bad, except with ZSD. Only 1 flyover. In Realistic Russian highways I will return rebuilt Rusmap interchanges which I can fit.
I took a look to all bigger cities. Highway networks are good, but no city center. Ofcourse, I understand SCS politics, but I hope that Promods team will find way to build few routes through each city.
I still think that Promods should keep all newer areas: Lativa, most of Estonia and Kaliningrad part of Russia.
Working on San Diego map, 2:5 scale: www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25293
I NEED HELP for:
- landscape
- details
- signage and
- company advisors (which companies to put where)

Shiva

14 Dec 2018 08:37

brainiac, I know 1 easyish edit you or RusMap could do to St petersburg.
Real Route.
Missing road piece in Baltic DLC, sort of.
The northern entry / exit to the fuel station might have to be redone too, to 2 way from 1 way.
Is there enough space to do more realistic interchanges for M-10 and R-23?
I would put these as low prio, until maps are connected to Baltic DLC.
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

brainiac
Donation rank:

14 Dec 2018 12:31

I will see after connecting both M10s.
There is nothing to wait for non-Promods version and Promods version must overwrites DLC until Promods overwrites too.
Working on San Diego map, 2:5 scale: www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25293
I NEED HELP for:
- landscape
- details
- signage and
- company advisors (which companies to put where)

Arvidsson-Källqvist
Donation rank:

15 Dec 2018 22:28

I don't know, for me it's somewhere in the middle, ProMods usually has much, MUCH more authentic road layouts, infrastructure and scaling than SCS. (SCS has a tendency to build unnecesarily big and unconnected cities, even before like Rennes, Paris, Oslo, Göteborg, now Riga) But SCS has obviously better assets and they usually do a good job on catching the most important details to make a region FEEL more authentic. So it should be somewhat of a mixture. REAL (!) mixture and not how it was done back with Vive le France. ProMods IMO should definetly keep their road layout and maybe even their whole map as a base and then mix it with SCS's assets vegetation and details.

I don't personally need city centers. I like a truck simulator to be a truck simulator not a sightseeing simulator. But I agree with that guy who said that probably PM Berlin is a best compromise between industrial parts and hints of city centers.
Company: David Kiesch International Transport & Spedition SRL
Headquarter: Cluj-Napoca
Truck: 2021 Volvo FH500 Globetrotter XL
Numberplate: CJ 21 WLX

Davyddin
Donation rank:

15 Dec 2018 23:23

Added some glue to this thread, since there seem to be many good opinions and pieces of information which may be of use in the future.
ProMods moderator, translator, and tester. ATS and ETS2 player and modder. Author e.g. of the Profile Jumpstart mods. Fennoswede from the Finnish archipelago.

Shiva

16 Dec 2018 13:46

Arvidsson-Källqvist, Rennes, there I sort of understand the Oversized Ring road. It looks great! but takes a lot of space.
Nantes half ring road takes a lot of space too. The problem with ring roads ingame.
Sort of similar with Paris and that 1 seems to be scaled down a bit. Looks great too. But I am sure ProMods can improve it.
But the biggest and "easily" fixable... is Göteborg! just get rid of the north and south entrance of the half ring road and instead use E45 to the harbour and to the Bridge. "Oscarsleden/Götaleden"
Even if adding Lundbyleden too, it would take less space than having Göteborg's half ring road.
Riga, not that bad, compared to Vilnius half ring road. If looking at sizes.
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information