Roundabouts (traffic circles) too small

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
ScuL
Founder

14 Aug 2014 11:56

jasonlava wrote:I'm from the US and I like roundabouts. Yes, I have watched the Mythbusters episode and I agree. The ones in Boston are actually "Rotaries", they give priority to the incoming traffic on the bigger road (the others yield). I have been on a few proper roundabouts in Lousiana (all incoming traffic yields) and they're great. No confusion as to who goes first, just get in when there's a gap. But I can see how truckers can hate those things trying to turn a big rig in them.

I guess I'm weird, I shoulda been born in Europe lol.
Well technically Boston is "New England" after all! :)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

railfan1975

18 Aug 2014 03:35

jasonlava wrote:I'm from the US and I like roundabouts. Yes, I have watched the Mythbusters episode and I agree. The ones in Boston are actually "Rotaries", they give priority to the incoming traffic on the bigger road (the others yield). I have been on a few proper roundabouts in Lousiana (all incoming traffic yields) and they're great. No confusion as to who goes first, just get in when there's a gap. But I can see how truckers can hate those things trying to turn a big rig in them.

I guess I'm weird, I shoulda been born in Europe lol.
I grew up in Louisiana and remember those roundabouts (we called them traffic circles). They were vehemently hated by most people that did not live in that city in Louisiana. LOL! About 20 years ago they took them out and elevated the main roadway with exits to get to the side roads.

FAAmecanic

18 Aug 2014 17:04

I drove in Germany (and surrounding countries) for 3 years while I lived there. I came back to the US and it felt like bumper cars or every man for themselves! The rules of the road in America drive me nutz :)

Traffic Circles (round abouts) and priority road markings are the best way to drive. Everyone knows who has right of way.

Uzi

21 Aug 2014 04:06

When I had to stop using 1.62 Promods after 1.11 beta arrived I played default map a long while.

I had a opinion on roundabouts forming within the first week of my play with ETS2.... it evolved... then festered and became toxic with 1.70 promods.

Reason, I had been using another map after 1.11 ETS2 finalliy went live ( I won't mention who why bother stirring a fuss) and theydo not have modelers that are as fascinated by roundabouts as it appears Promod guys are.

I did try to stick with 1.70 but it was immediate to me that the even SMALLER roundabouts than default plus it seemed someone on the team is just fascinated with using as many as they can led
me to deciding how to fix.
I just don't use PRomod any more.
Sure I'll revisit on times as I really liked Norway as it actually has some cool mountain pass runs but that wasn't enough to make me stick.

So, if roundabouts really irk you, there is a option. It might be too much of a change though.
For me it was clear cut, I really hate a overabundance of roundabouts . Nuff said I guess.

I notice another annoying trend though, map makers that love toll roads but that is another story.

Oh, and for those saying its all about 'real sim road work' .. I call BS. I spend a LOT of time tooling
around Europe usign Google Maps in street view mode. It is a cheap way to see the world.
YEah, I see how it is in Europe, true TINY roads. Nothing in this game is close to the challange
I see in 'real life' that I see in street view Google Map as on typical non highway European roads.
COmpared to USA roads they are massive tiny. I can see why when I cruise street view I rarely
see a big rig on the roads, they use a lot of smaller trucks to do deliveries in cities, quite unlike what I see here in USA because we are fat and our roads usually are too .

Okay.
I'm out of here.

Purno
Donation rank:

21 Aug 2014 07:10

Uzi wrote: Reason, I had been using another map after 1.11 ETS2 finalliy went live ( I won't mention who why bother stirring a fuss) and theydo not have modelers that are as fascinated by roundabouts as it appears Promod guys are.
Roundabouts are popular in some countries in real life, so they'll also be used more in those countries in ProMods.
I did try to stick with 1.70 but it was immediate to me that the even SMALLER roundabouts than default plus it seemed someone on the team is just fascinated with using as many as they can led
me to deciding how to fix.
I just don't use PRomod any more.
The small roundabouts look pretty realistic to me.
I notice another annoying trend though, map makers that love toll roads but that is another story.
I assume you refer to France? Well, there's a lot of toll gates there in real life as well.
Oh, and for those saying its all about 'real sim road work' .. I call BS. I spend a LOT of time tooling
around Europe usign Google Maps in street view mode. It is a cheap way to see the world.
YEah, I see how it is in Europe, true TINY roads. Nothing in this game is close to the challange
I see in 'real life' that I see in street view Google Map as on typical non highway European roads.
Firstly, I gotta admit I have to giggle about you using Google Streetview and think you know Europe better than the people actually living there.

Secondly, the editor has it's limits too, and the map scale is a very limiting factor too. We make stuff as best as we can, but we'll have to work with limits and make sacrifices.
COmpared to USA roads they are massive tiny. I can see why when I cruise street view I rarely
see a big rig on the roads, they use a lot of smaller trucks to do deliveries in cities, quite unlike what I see here in USA because we are fat and our roads usually are too .
Nothing ever big enough for you? Go wait for American Truck Simulator then.
Okay.
I'm out of here.
Bye.
We won't miss you.

mbman212
Donation rank:

21 Aug 2014 13:20

In Finland the roundabouts are little too small on my opinion. I can't get turned in there with wither 2 or 3 axle truck(s), especially with my Scania Longline mod with 4 axles. But otherwise those are pretty realistic, Purno is right, here in Finland are heck of a lot roundabouts, almost at every "bigger" intersection but I like them, way faster than waiting in lights (approx. 3-4 mins) or intersections with STOP-signs or triangles. The whole ProMods team have done significantly fantastic job for creating this map, it is a realistic as possible within the limitations on editor(s) and the maps scale. I appreciate what you've made, the result is absolutely great!
#8 Forum Spammer

ETS2 v1.38.1.15, ProMods 2.5x, DLC content

12,50% explored
Driven km 67,200
2957 hours of ETS2

ATS v1.38x, DLC content

29,46% explored
Driven mi 19,000
271 hours of ATS

Purno
Donation rank:

21 Aug 2014 13:22

mbman212 wrote:especially with my Scania Longline mod with 4 axles.
And that isn't realistic?

mbman212
Donation rank:

21 Aug 2014 13:35

Sorry, I was trying to say that it's realistic, my bad Purno. The Scania itself can go there without problems but with a trailer if tricky which is fun if those AI drivers won't come in front me behind that triangle or crash onto my trailer, they do that a lot.
#8 Forum Spammer

12,50% explored
Driven km 67,200
2957 hours of ETS2

ATS v1.38x, DLC content

29,46% explored
Driven mi 19,000
271 hours of ATS

mereman

21 Aug 2014 13:36

IRL I love roundabouts as I ride a motorbike I can normally keep going rather then having to stop at lights ;)

I also like the challenge in the game. What I hate is cars and trucks not noticing you on the main road and drive right into you, this as they are coming off a side road, the number of times I've swerved and just missed them. Still keeps me on my toes :D

mbman212
Donation rank:

21 Aug 2014 13:41

mereman wrote:IRL I love roundabouts as I ride a motorbike I can normally keep going rather then having to stop at lights ;)

I also like the challenge in the game. What I hate is cars and trucks not noticing you on the main road and drive right into you, this as they are coming off a side road, the number of times I've swerved and just missed them. Still keeps me on my toes :D
Me too, some of those AI drivers crash onto my truck when going on the "regular" ETS roundabouts (double laned), one occured in Stockholm, I was coming out of ferry and heading to Aalborg and one stupid Audi drivers slammed right onto my Scania, got 20% damage right away,he showed turn signal and I saw it, right next to me. And many cars go in that circle right in front me, can't get swerved my truck to anywhere and you know the result.
#8 Forum Spammer

12,50% explored
Driven km 67,200
2957 hours of ETS2

ATS v1.38x, DLC content

29,46% explored
Driven mi 19,000
271 hours of ATS

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information