Creating an addon for existing map

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
Polanium
Donation rank:

29 Aug 2019 23:20

Hello dear community,

I want to create an addon (or extension if you like) to RusMap like Greate Steppe.
(means a new map, wich is connected by road to an existing map)

How do I do this?

Do I have to load Rus Map and create the road connection to my planned map first, or do I have to just open the editor without opening RusMap?

If so, how can I merge the maps later?

I was only able to open the vanilla Europe Map in the editor so far.

Thanks for any advise, I wasn't able to find any answers on this topic so far.

Plum™
Developer

30 Aug 2019 00:34

Here I explain how the folder structure for an addon should work:

Well in your /base/map/ folder is a /europe/ folder which has the sectors in, if you have the sector overlay by pressing A a few times (you may have to zoom out) you should be able to see what sector you are working in. In the /europe/ there are the sector files, all you need to do is find your sector (or sectors.) So lets say your sectors are +0015 -0003 you search for them and there should be 4 files: .desc, .data, .aux, .base. So with our sector it would be +0015 -0003.desc, +0015 -0003.data, +0015 -0003.aux and +0015 -0003.base. Now that you have your sectors, you need to overwrite the defualt promods sectors sectors to do this you need to make in your /mod/ folder a

Code: Select all

/z_mod_yourname/map/europe/
and copy your sectors into there. (The z in front of mod_yourname is there to show the game it has to load first) Now when you enter the game again the sectors will be overwritten with your name. Now next time you save after you worked and closed the game you need to get your 4 sector files and just replace the exsisting ones in /mod/z_mod_yourname/map/europe/.

Hope this helps :)

Polanium
Donation rank:

31 Aug 2019 15:46

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, I opened the vanilla Europe Map and saw the sectors. Problem is, that I would like to create an addon which starts at Saratov on the RusMap. The ingame Background Map only shows Moscow. Anything further away is grey.

Do I have to somehow open RusMap in the Editor? When I try that I get an Error Message every time.

EdgeGladiator

31 Aug 2019 17:10

you need to load first RusMap on the map editor (by placing only all Rusmap files in the mod folder ). When it load, go to Saratov (by writting goto Saratov eg), and normally the city will come. Then, you can start mapping here and do why Plum write above.
Senior Beta-Tester since 2.30
Translator for French and Spanish languages
Developper of Mediterranean Map, Maghreb Map and Real European Gas Stations Reloaded.

Polanium
Donation rank:

01 Sep 2019 01:50

Thanks,

I was able to load RusMap and found my sector.

So, do I need to get all the sectors I want to edit (those will be quite a lot propably), or do I just need the starting point sector.

How do I get these 4 Files?

So I just create a folder in Base which has the sectors + my map name and when I open the editor and save it, it creats it automatically, or do I have to export those sectors somehow else?

Sorry, I am noob and just got started. It will take propably a lot of time to learn all of this.

Do you know any good tutorials by the way?

Plum™
Developer

01 Sep 2019 01:54

Sadly there are currently no tutorials on this.
Firstly you need all the sector files which you worked in, these can be found in your base/map/europe folder after you saved. And there is no exporting needed.

Polanium
Donation rank:

08 Sep 2019 21:43

Hello, thanks for your help so far.

I found a good tutorial on the editor itself in the German language.

So with the sector issue.

Is it that i can start a new map and export my sector, or do I have to just edit rus map and then export somehow my work?

I did as Plum wrote and created the folder + added the sector files, but what then?

interestingly when i load europe the editor shows me instantly the sector I plan on working in...

Hinzugefügt nach 15 Minuten 36 Sekunden:
sooo, I don't know if I made utter nonsense here but I managed to ''isolate'' the sector I am planning to start working in and attach my map to rus map.
I just copied and renamed RusMap, deleted all the sectors I don't need and saved the remaining sector under my new map name.

Is this correct, or am I missing something here?

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information