Issues with (and ideas for) Ireland

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Omicron
Developer

15 Sep 2019 16:52

Current issues
  • M50 has eight lanes (4+4) including a lane for upcoming junctions, not four (2+2).
  • N7 has three lanes, not two.
  • Most of the 'N' roads in game are meant to have hard shoulders.
  • Google Maps has updated to include two new motorways, the M18 and M17. Currently, in ProMods, the M18 ends at Gort (which it had before completion in real life). See my previous post about it along with other issues raised: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11816&p=261706#p261706
  • There are many signage issues in Ireland (both in game and in real life). Signage is still way too big (I know this is because you use SCS' signs from the UK) and there are minor issues with roundabout signs. But there are even more little issues thanks to signs in real life.
    • On motorway signs, route numbers (e.g N75, R693, etc.) are meant to be written in Motorway (same as the UK). But the UK font lacks in the characters 'N', 'R' and 'L'. Therefore, the letter is written in Transport (not Heavy) and the numbers in Motorway. (There are still cases where the entire route number is in Transport Heavy.)
    • Regional (R) route numbers are quite similar; with the exception of motorways, the 'R' is written in Transport and the numbers in Transport Heavy. (Don't ask me why this is :lol: )
  • Licence plates - Solved
  • M50-N7-R110 (Red Cow Junction) is built somewhat incorrectly - M50 Southbound does not lead to the city centre as well.
    In-game vs. how it is in real life. Other junctions along the M50 are also built incorrectly, and for some reason, the Grand Canal has been placed above the motorway (on a bridge) instead of the motorway over the canal. Details will follow... at some stage.
  • I previously said that Irish motorway signs are not illuminated in Ireland but are in ProMods. ScuL responded, saying that it was "an intentional decision" because the player's headlights alone do not illuminate the sign (making them somewhat invisible at night). However, I presume this isn't the case anymore, as motorway signs in SCS' Germany and ProMods' Poland are also not illuminated, but still are visible at night (even with headlights off!).
See this post for more issues (some fixed, others not): viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20954&p=196919#p196919

Roadworks
  • M7 roadworks - M7 is currently being widened form two lanes to three on junctions 9 - 11 (around Naas). Should be completed by the end of the year (emphasis on should :D ). See http://www.m7upgrade.com/.
(There may be others I'm not aware of)

Map

I know my maps are messy, after all, I only use MS Paint...

If you've somehow managed to read to the end, I'd like to apologise for this rant. You could say that I'm a little bit of a perfectionist... :roll:

Added in 6 minutes 53 seconds:
Would just like to clarify, I'm posting most of these issues again so that any developers (perhaps future Ireland developers?) can see and fix them.
Last edited by Omicron on 08 Mar 2020 13:52, edited 12 times in total.
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

Josh0

16 Sep 2019 23:26

Omicron wrote:
15 Sep 2019 16:59
Two things would be to change the font to "Charles Wright" (the same used in the UK and the most common, although ANY sans-serif font is legal) and to add the county name in Irish (in what looks like Arial) in the top centre.
One wish granted! ;) For the next release of ProMods the Ireland license plate font and generation algorithms have been changed to be more accurate.
The font is a narrow-width version of Charles Wright (it had to be condensed to fit all of the possible character combinations on the plate background). It's not perfect but I think it's much better than the current font. Adding the Irish county name to the top of the plate is possible, but I think the amount of work would outweigh the benefit (feel free to make your own mod!). And because SCS's license plate system is so low-resolution you would likely be unable to read the tiny text anyway.

EdgeGladiator

17 Sep 2019 12:04

Omicron wrote:
15 Sep 2019 16:59
Would just like to clarify, I'm posting most of these issues again so that any developers (perhaps future Ireland developers?) can see and fix them.
In my opinion, devs shoulds and have to fix in priority majors or important issues, if they are located here. Many of yours issues are pretty minors. Imagine if devs do that for all PM countries, that would be a waste of time :)
Senior Beta-Tester since 2.30
Translator for French and Spanish languages
Developper of Mediterranean Map, Maghreb Map and Real European Gas Stations Reloaded.

Omicron
Developer

17 Sep 2019 13:46

Josh0 wrote:
One wish granted! ;) For the next release of ProMods the Ireland license plate font and generation algorithms have been changed to be more accurate.
That looks fantastic! That's one issue out of the way! Thanks :D

Added in 1 minute 41 seconds:
EdgeGladiator wrote: In my opinion, devs shoulds and have to fix in priority majors or important issues, if they are located here. Many of yours issues are pretty minors. Imagine if devs do that for all PM countries, that would be a waste of time :)
I understand this, perhaps these issues could be fixed while someone was making changes to the specific areas.
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

ScuL
Founder

21 Sep 2019 22:29

You may find comfort in the fact that we would like to follow precisely the plan of development that you have recommended, it's just that we do not have the resources to do so right now.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Omicron
Developer

22 Sep 2019 13:29

That's completely understandable, thank you for acknowledging these issues.
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

Omicron
Developer

15 Dec 2019 15:58

Updated map:
  • Included ideas of new towns (functioning & scenery) that could maybe be added:
    • Functioning: An Muileann gCearr | Mullingar, Dún Dealgan | Dundalk, Caiseal | Cashel, Cill Chainnigh | Kilkenny, Port Laoise & Baile Átha Luain | Athlone.
    • Scenery: Baile Chláir | Claregalway, Tuaim | Tuam & Eochaill | Youghal / Dún Garbhán | Dungarvan.
  • The new section of M11 (Enniscorthy-Gorey - shown as blue-grey on map) was opened in July this year. There is currently no street view on Google Maps or Mapillary as of yet.
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

Omicron
Developer

08 Jan 2020 22:52

Josh0 wrote:
the Ireland license plate ... generation algorithms have been changed to be more accurate.
By changed did you mean replace the years 99-09? I haven't seen any of those numbers on any of the AI's licence plates so far (all I've seen is 151-192, especially 192). Seeing as those cars' manufacturing years was around 02 onwards (except old Russian vehicles SCS added), they should be the most common.
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

Josh0

08 Jan 2020 23:25

Omicron, there are two groups of plates defined for Ireland vehicles because each group has a slightly different pool of location codes: 1998-2013 and 2014-2019. Outside of cities the 2014-2019 group is about 2:1 more likely to be seen than the 1998-2013 group. Inside cities the 2014-2019 group is about 4:1 more likely. Trucks and trailers inside cities will be about 50% 2019 and 50% other years.

Omicron
Developer

09 Jan 2020 18:39

Is it possible at all to change the most common group of licence plates (i.e. swap 2013-2019 with 1998-2012)? As I said, the AI fit the 1998-2012 group much better than 2013-2019 group (they are very few cars/vans that SCS has added over the past few updates that fit 2013-2019 group).The only trucks that really fit the 2013-2019 group are the Scania R & S and Renault Magnum T.

I wish it were possible to implement a system in which AI were assigned their years of manufacture, which would be reflected on their licence plates, but seeing as this would only benefit three countries in the game (the UK, Ireland and Portugal), it would be a waste of time.
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information