[WIP/In planning] Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - A Promods Addon

You can share and discuss other ETS2 map mods here
FunTrucker_18

20 Oct 2019 22:38

Guys, you know I was quite silent for the last few months. I had some reasons, you guys know them ;)

My "Road to Aral" map is temporarily maintained by the RTA team (Road to Asia) and will maybe be included in the main project.

First things first, I wanna go back to mapping and need a little training exercise. So I decided to do the Northern parts of Cyprus which is occupied by Turkey since Ayşe went to vacation (The secret code to start the operation Atilla and cought anyone by surprise) in 1974. So, here is history 101: The operation was carried out after the Cyprus leader Makarios was the target of a coup d'etat, backed by the fascist junta which ruled Greece that time. The Turkish government saw the turkish Cypriots in danger and decided to descend on the island to "save" them.

Turkey was under surveillance by the US and NATO states and there were threats to stop a possible war in Cyprus. So President Ecevit decided to use a code to call of the invasion. The famous sentence was "Ayşe tatile çıktı - Ayşe went on vacation".

And on the 20th July 1974 Ecevit called his Generals and told them that Ayşe went on vacation. The Turkish Armed Forces started OP "Atilla" by landing paratroopers in the vicinity of Girne. The following days about 40.000, 160 tanks and 3 ships rushed to the Island, supported by 20.000 Turkish Cypriots volunteers and a few hundred mercenaries from different countries. The opponent had a strength of only 14.000 men and were supported by Greek personnel.
After 4 weeks of fighting the turkish forces seized about 33% of the island and during the next years, the relocated the non turkish population to the south and the other way round. A puppet government was established, run by late Rauf Denktaş and the island was split by the UN with a DMZ.

The occupation was such a big embarrassment for the Greek Junta that it caused a major blowback and the fascists were put out of power a few months later and Greece became democratic again.

Don't know if there are any mistakes, I wrote History 101 from my own memory. Just correct me if I'm wrong and although the area is "PoLiTCaLLy SeNsItIvE" it's not my intention to p*ss anybody off. I just try to represent the area like it is in real life. And, we play Euro Truck Simulator, not Euro Politics Simulator, if you feel offended, feel free to keep on scrolling!

So, enough history for today.

What's in it?
-The northern, turkish occupied parts of Cyprus
-Cities of Girne, Gazimagusa, Dipkarpaz and the ghost town Maraş
-A sparsely populated area with rural roads, small villages, olive plants and nice, clean air.
-A ghost town in the the DMZ
-A Possible open border between the 2 Cypruses.

You will need Promods to play it and probably YKSRSK, too, as the only connection to the TRNC is via Mersin, Turkey.

So, stay alert. Updates will come soon!

Audi1merc2
Donation rank:

21 Oct 2019 23:42

The idea is great. there are border crossings on the DMZ although I don't know if they are open or not.
Also, if you want to make a ferry connection, just wait for the Road to the Black Sea DLC and make the ferry from Istanbul as YKSRSK kinda ruins the Balkans

PerrydPelle

22 Oct 2019 09:04

How do you know RttBS even has ferries? Besides, YKSRSK will probably be optional
Developer of uh...

Audi1merc2
Donation rank:

22 Oct 2019 10:15

He could make a ferry terminal at Istanbul however the easiest option would be to make the ferry connection from Thessaloniki.

erkinalp

23 Oct 2019 20:43

Can you depict the ruins of former Cypriot Railway in your map?

FunTrucker_18

23 Oct 2019 22:35

Easy, lads. It's just a training exercise, so not much to expect. But I guess I'll do a closed border as default and a connection to Mersin and a connection to Thessaloniki for the Promods only users. As I work only with Promods in editor, YKSRSK is not mandatory, only optional. But there are certain problems with misplacement of Cyprus, so I have to try things out to not have a sector collision with YKSRSK, but just be patient, it will be rewarded. :D

EG0611

24 Oct 2019 05:41

I would suggest you to follow the workplan like this;

1. Start to work on Cyprus side. Try to make it in quality of Promods level.
2. Do not add N and S connection as how it is in real life.
3. After release of Balkan DLC, build a ferry port to Istanbul and make a ferry connection in between Istanbul and Northern Cyprus. Who knows maybe this ferry can be used in many more ways in future.

This is just a suggestion. ıt is still up to you how to build

Audi1merc2
Donation rank:

25 Oct 2019 11:41

There are 3 border crossings I know of that cross into Northern Cyprus although I believe they are strict because you have to get from Cyprus into the UN Buffer Zone and then from the UN Buffer Zone to Northern Cyprus which (I assume) takes a lot of time

erkinalp

28 Oct 2019 07:16

Buffer zone is interrupted in the Nicosia within the walls area.

FunTrucker_18

27 Nov 2019 00:20

Guys, the map is currently on hold, I did some first works, I will release some Screenshots.

I saw Promods has a "location issue" on Cyprus as it probably needs to be shifted. Maybe some Devs could clear this out or do some explanation if I'm wrong or not.
So I wait til things are smooth there and of course I wait for 1.36 and the changes to come. Doesn't make really sense when I do a map and after a month I need a complete rebuild to do.

Return to “ETS2 Map mods”

• Information