[Central] Free download questions

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
ScuL
Founder

15 Nov 2019 23:34

Those limits are in place to deal with peak traffic, during which our servers generally reach 200 to 300% of traffic. Secondly to create an equal experience for all users. If you don't want to wait then use the premium download. The only entitled person is you, expecting a premium service for free.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Trucker2223
Donation rank:

15 Nov 2019 23:34

ClumsyRL wrote:
15 Nov 2019 23:19

I quickly clicked through and expected a simple download, not realizing i was going to be dealing with the stingiest, most entitled mod devs i have ever seen.
Well, it's your problem if you're not able to read the simple instructions given on the download page carefully:

And yes such a system is needed. ProMods is a very popular mod, thus especially when a new Version gets released, thousands of people are downloading at the same time. If we would make unlimited downloads for everyone, the Server would die immedatly. Just on the first day ProMods 2.42 got released we had more than 20000 people downloading the mod via the free option IIRC.
Some people may complain that the system is annoying, but considering that most Users could download via the free option succesfully and this topic has not 3000 replies with "that system sucks", it's not a big deal for most Users.

Also the Paid download Option isn't really "money grabbing", since most of the money you pay, needs to be paid back to the Serverhosters of the Paid Download option.(It's not our servers in this case)
No. 4 forum spammer

No Support via PM!!

ProMods Senior Beta Tester since 2.30
ProMods Moderator since 1. January 2019

ClumsyRL

15 Nov 2019 23:51

I like how much effort you put into being rude to your user, even though you are so busy with your oh so popular mod ;) I was downloading a tonne of mods and not exactly bothered to read all the text about every mod... Was also following a guide that said max 3 concurrent downloads so got caught up because of that.
Also the Paid download Option isn't really "money grabbing", since most of the money you pay, needs to be paid back to the Serverhosters of the Paid Download option.(It's not our servers in this case)
That is a lie. I am not bothered to find it for you, but there is a forum reply by an admin saying that most money goes to you guys. It was a nice attempt though.

Also, your mod still takes over an hour to download without paying, no matter how much you deviate. That is absolutely insane.
Last edited by bmwGTR on 17 Nov 2019 12:40, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: remove quote, please do not quote the post above yours

bricksathome
Developer

16 Nov 2019 00:13

ClumsyRL wrote:
That is a lie. I am not bothered to find it for you, but there is a forum reply by an admin saying that most money goes to you guys. It was a nice attempt though.
Maybe you should be bothered to find it, because everywhere I've seen says most of it goes to the server providers - but I am happy to be corrected.

As for your words along the lines of we're money grabbers it simply is not the case - No-one who is currently or has previously helped/is helping the ProMods project is paid for their work, it's all voluntary - The paid download is priced at the lowest we can feasibly go whilst still gaining enough to support our infrastructure. The two google ads on the free servers are in no way obtrusive and we could've easily set up the free servers to gain us more revenue, but we dont.

The rundown is that the servers are the way they are so that we can provide people with a stable, secure connection no matter the amount of traffic. we shifted hundreds of terabytes of data in a few days during the recent release, if the limits weren't in place the servers would've died in seconds.

Please, stop complaining about what you are getting for free. We could easily put the mod behind a $20 paywall and be done with it, but we don't - The free download isn't perfect, but it's usable and a hell of a lot better than what it's been in the past.
The Best Way To see What I've been Doing Recently Is To Click Here!
http://www.youtube.com/c/bricksathome1

Currently working in mid Wales in ETS2
and the area around Kelowna and Vernon in ATS

michaelmurfy
Donation rank:

16 Nov 2019 01:44

ClumsyRL wrote:
I like how much effort you put into being rude to your user, even though you are so busy with your oh so popular mod ;) I was downloading a tonne of mods and not exactly bothered to read all the text about every mod... Was also following a guide that said max 3 concurrent downloads so got caught up because of that.

Also, your mod still takes over an hour to download without paying, no matter how much you deviate. That is absolutely insane.
I can see from the logs it took you 1hr, 13mins to download all files but hey you grabbed everything without paying us a cent. But maybe you should consider donating? Donate link is at the very bottom of this page.

There is no need to be rude to people over something you're getting for free. If you're rude to us, we'll be rude back as this is a free mod. Your rant really belongs on /r/ChoosingBeggars. You're welcome to post it if you want some Reddit karma.
Promods Server Administrator

realdeal350
Developer

16 Nov 2019 04:45

ClumsyRL wrote:
The money goes to the admins so they can pay for the free download server infrastructure, which of course isn't cheap. No one in ProMods is earning any sort of money from the paid download. I have been in ProMods for 5 years and have never received a single cent, because we do this as a hobby.
ClumsyRL wrote:
I like how much effort you put into being rude to your user
No one here has been rude to you, everyone so far has given you civil replies. You are the one swearing and being a smarta** to be honest. Respect is a two way street.
ClumsyRL wrote:
even though you are so busy with your oh so popular mod ;)
Here's a good example. The ironic thing is that we usually spend hours a day working on the mod, and people like ScuL and michaelmurfy have invested hours into improving the download infrastructure. Michaelmurfy was not part of the team until we got hacked once, and we needed better infrastructure and security. He has not asked for a cent this whole time. And yes, there is no denying that our mod is popular, we have almost 850,000 forum members.

Dude, it's really not that hard to be patient and follow the instructions on the download page and the help people have given you. If you had followed them the first time, you would be done and would be playing the mod instead of wasting your time complaining here and making a fool of yourself. Really not that hard...
Spain developer
Canada developer
Regional Co-ordinator for the Roman region

Languages: English, italiano

Shiva

16 Nov 2019 13:49

ClumsyRL wrote:
15 Nov 2019 23:19
When i am forced to sit and wait for an hour because of your limits and i can literally see that your servers are at 11% capacity, its a pretty obvious money grab.
I thank you in advance, for the future hosting of download servers for ProMods.
"1605MB" or about 1,7Gigs/download.
Could a mod answer how many download a single version of the mod?
And how many download it in the first 24hours of release?

By that ClumsyRL or some others might sponsor ProMods with free download servers?
Or help to add more bandwith to the current free download servers?
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

ScuL
Founder

17 Nov 2019 00:40

As it stands ProMods 2.42 has been downloaded 348,240 times from the free servers - that's 592,008GB or 578TB of data.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

stickdeath1980

17 Nov 2019 08:51

I disable Adblocker- and then go to download mods 2 at a time then boot's me out saying i'm downloading to many and i have to disable ad blocker which is clearly turned off with the amount of ads coming though lol

ScuL
Founder

17 Nov 2019 10:43

Hi mate, the two are actually unrelated. The Ad Blocker warning has nothing to do with the "downloading too many files" message. Are you trying to download more than 2 files at the same time?

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information