How to prevent mod piracy

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
PerrydPelle

12 Apr 2020 14:25

Sadly piracy is a big problem in the ETS2/ATS community, but I have found a solution which will keep it to a minimum. As some of you know I updated my IL-RL open border mod a couple of days ago, but I didn’t provide any screenshots in the first post, and it didn’t get pirated, two days ago I edited the first post with five screenshots, and now it got pirated on some site with those same five screenshots, and it turns out that most of those dodgy download sites requires at least 5 screenshots, otherwise you can’t reupload mods there, and these thieves get the screenshots almost all the time from the first post of the original topic, so, for anyone who wants to upload a mod in the future, don’t upload any screenshots in the first post!
Developer of uh...

Vøytek
Developer

12 Apr 2020 16:52

But keep in mind that if you don't show any screenshots, people won't like to try your mod, because they have no idea what to expect.
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Miritellane

12 Apr 2020 17:14

Hacking is perhaps a bit of an exaggeration ... For commercial sites, OK, I understand, but for everyone's mods,
I think the goal is to disseminate them and make them known ...
If we make a mod (map, truck or other) to keep it on my personal computer, what interest ...
Personally, my Bartoland map is free, and ALL those who want to load it can do it,
and if it is on a site other than mine, so much the better, it will spread faster ...
I'm happy if people drive on it ...
Creator of map Bartoland
http://bartofer.free.fr/

Pleasure is not in the straight line ...

Vøytek
Developer

12 Apr 2020 17:35

That's not really an issue when your mod appears on other websites - the real problem is people making money out of your work. They reupload mods to Sharemods to generate money...
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Miritellane

12 Apr 2020 17:45

I did not know that Sharemods paid the loads ...
In this case, the pirates are @ & # * $% £, and I am nice ....
Thanks for the tip ..
Creator of map Bartoland
http://bartofer.free.fr/

Pleasure is not in the straight line ...

Rudi Raser
In Memoriam
Donation rank:

12 Apr 2020 17:49

money is the only reason for reuploads.
No Support via PM!

ScuL
Founder

12 Apr 2020 22:50

In my opinion these people are nothing but leeches, they take other people's hard work and try to make money with it for themselves. Incredibly low morals
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

OfficialDOWL
Developer
Donation rank:

12 Apr 2020 23:13

What annoys me the most is every time I update my mod I have to waste my time reporting the file to the sharemods like websites, usually they take it down but sometimes not. Why people don't just subscribe on Steam Workshop is beyond me.
Developer for Iceland Image
#3 forum spammer with a username beginning 'O'
ATS Background Map
ETS2 Background Maps

TheNuvolari

13 Apr 2020 08:47

I have uploaded a skin a few days ago to a site called ets2mods.lt, and the day after I saw my skin there, reuploaded by someone else (probably admins of the site). What a scumbag bunch, they are.

scan720
Developer
Donation rank:

13 Apr 2020 08:51

Same goes for me
My ISP Mod is originally in Share mods
But of course some people which I dont wanna describe now reupload them on other Sides
It really annoyes me to Report each side
Developer since July 2020
Working in Poland

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information