Hungarian signage font

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Akosjun

27 May 2020 14:29

Hello guys,
I have a pretty weird request from you. So, I like simple, modernish fonts and the one used on Hungarian signs is one of them. It looks pretty cool, it's like DIN-1451 (known in Windows 10 as Bahnschrift) but even more... geometric so to say and the widths don't change.

I'd like to ask, does any of you for whatever reason have a digitalized version of it that I could use for personal projects? I sought far and wide for it, but couldn't find it (there's this neat documentation on their design though).

Sincerely,
Akosjun

TheNuvolari

28 May 2020 08:22

I use Whatthefont if I want to find out what font it is. :D

Omicron
Developer

28 May 2020 13:09

I've searched far and wide for it also, however I also could not find anything (even when using Whatthefont, as TheNuvolari suggested). I saw that the font may be referred to as "DIN 1451 H" or "KTSzB-M (Közlekedési táblák szabványosított betűtípusa Magyarországon)". I also found this information: "Hungary does not use a defined typeface as the letters are defined one-by-one in the national regulation", which might mean that a digitalised version of the font is not available.
I did find one font that resembles one of the typefaces used on Hungarian road signs, "DIN 1451 Breitschrift", although acute and double-acute marks are not vertical and the 'y' is not "rounded", as seen on signage.
Developer since 2.56
Éirinn go Brách!

Akosjun

28 May 2020 18:18

Yes, I looked for it too both with Whatthefont and Wikipedia (I think your quote is from the article Comparison of European Road Signs). What you've sent is interesting, I didn't know DIN-1451 had a wide variant, it's kinda far from the Hungarian font's, it looks very cool though.

I might try and reach out to reach out to Magyar Közút, maybe I'll get lucky or just recreate it myself since the documentation explains everything in great detail from the exact sizes to the spacing between different letters.
Last edited by Rudi Raser on 28 May 2020 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove quote, please do not quote the post above yours

Dudu Nicula

24 Jun 2020 19:04

I also found some image that uses the font, for example this one:

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information