[Central] Free download questions

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Garrington_Levy

13 Sep 2020 01:30

oh oh oh I will do fella, my birthday is going to be jam packed, got my favourite round of MotoGP (San Marino), Tottenham play Everton (my favourite fixture) and I now have Promods....life is sweeeeeet!
If I were the Welsh Charles Bronson, I'd pay a quid for it.

smink1999

22 Sep 2020 18:02

Hello,

When I want to unpack all the 8 files it says the 1st file is corrupt. I tried to follow the instructions here: help.php?mode=unpacking
But still getting the same error. Can some one help me with this problem?

WinRaR: Diagnostic message:
! C:\Users\miche\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\mod\promods-v250.7z.001: The archive is corrupt

I hope some one can help me,

Greetings,

Michel

bmwGTR

22 Sep 2020 19:35

Hi,

you have downloaded all parts and all parts are in the same folder?

Best regards,
bmwGTR
ETS2: ProMods + RusMap + The Great Steppe
ATS: ProMods + Grand Canyon + Reforma

ProMods Moderator since April 2018

f3n3k

11 Oct 2020 14:02

Put torrent and stop to use a 1980 system download...

Take a full day for download few little files because your system it's old and not good at all... It's a big mistake

OfficialDOWL
Developer
Donation rank:

11 Oct 2020 14:17

Developer for Iceland Image
#3 forum spammer with a username beginning 'O'
ATS Background Map
ETS2 Background Maps

f3n3k

11 Oct 2020 15:07

And ? It's totatly wrong, when you want upload a update, you have multiple choice, do another torrent file with update inside, full or incremental... It's simple ! And don't talk about security, or you make a big mistake because you forgot the hash file verification, it's totaly secure...
Say cleary you want to make money and it's normal for the work, but not with this wrong choice and your ' link reply. it's a way yes but clearly not the best at all... Sorry but if i want to donate it's because i want to reward your work's, not to have a cheat acces download pass, I don"t want to pay and give my agree to this poor system download, sorry.

Anyway i found solution

Thinks about it.

Cya

OfficialDOWL
Developer
Donation rank:

11 Oct 2020 16:00

f3n3k wrote:
11 Oct 2020 15:07
Say cleary you want to make money and it's normal for the work
None of us make any money from this, none of us want to make money from this. The money paid to get a fast download goes to the server host to cover their cost. The small fraction we (ProMods) get goes towards maintaining the free download server for those who can't use the paid version.

We do this as a hobby in what little free time we have, not as a job.
Developer for Iceland Image
#3 forum spammer with a username beginning 'O'
ATS Background Map
ETS2 Background Maps

michaelmurfy
Donation rank:

12 Oct 2020 00:02

f3n3k wrote:
11 Oct 2020 14:02
Put torrent and stop to use a 1980 system download...

Take a full day for download few little files because your system it's old and not good at all... It's a big mistake
Well if you wanted 1980's I could rate-limit everyone to 2400 baud then you'll have your download completed in ~5.3 years... Old? I'm pretty sure back in the 1980's they didn't have TLS 1.3 w/ HTTP2, DDOS mitigation and a load balanced, redundant server farm with automated scaling - in-fact, HTTP was invented by CERN back in 1990 (10 years after your 1980's estimate where it was actually BBS that ruled the world) and CERN httpd was not designed for security - it was a very basic HTTP web server running on a Unix operating system which was the precursor to what we know today as MacOS. As I've said multiple times now in this thread if I were to take away the restrictions then people with faster internet connections would immediately overwhelm the server farm making it unfair for everyone attempting to download.

You mention firing up a torrent? The answer to that is simply no. It is not only security, is also the fact this will basically cause the death of the project. We have a whole lot of servers behind everything and those servers cost real money - I volunteer around here and so does everyone else, the money gained from this goes towards the infrastructure required to run it. No money, no infrastructure, no ProMods. It is as simple as that. Also once a torrent is released it makes it hard to do any patch releases. The team focus on quality and if you want the mod quickly then just pay the €1 which helps support the project and at the same time gives you a fast download. You've also got to remember that people behind some restrictive networks can't even download torrents so downloads over HTTPS caters for everyone.

You claim you were not trying to cheat the system? I beg to differ. I'm looking at your server logs right now and can see multiple attempts seconds apart to hit different downloads. I can also see Cloudflare attempted, but failed to verify your browser multiple times. Lastly I can see we attempted to redirect you to the warning page multiple times in an attempt to get you to stop doing what you're doing.

As you can see I hold very little respect for people who tell us how we should be hosting a free service when in reality they want everything for free, at full speed but don't want to pay for it. Take a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/ChoosingBeggars/ as I could well imagine you've been posted there before.
Promods Server Administrator

f3n3k

13 Oct 2020 13:38

Lol it's funny to see someone to try to explain my work....
Well well well can you explain why you add publicity too? If not enough With all this bunch of pub ?
No ? Need extra money for a old infrastructure ? Very strange, you're alone to do the 2...
Very funny, I have a clue for you, Torrent, no need a big infrastructure, and another clue, Magnetlink....

I don't know where i'm saying i'm not cheating you poor sys....lol

You can check what you want but you can't clearly don't nothing at all. Multiple account, VPN, Download accelerator, refresh ISP ip, friend's torrent, share pay link and other....Sooo much idea.

We just ask you to make a torrent with descent speed, your only reply it's to ban and lower the speed.
Your 'so good my little admin.

And i'm sorry i paid multiple time your poor pay server, and it suck, clearly.
Now i say i don't want to giv because i don't like your system at all, i prefer to donate for work, what's the thing you don't understand in my explain ?

Anyway, take good time little admin, I have the files, see you for the next update. And the same shit again because you think you'resolution is the ultimate....

it 's always funny to see multiple people ask for another solution and just one little guy say " No I'm the ONE"

Soooo pathetic.... But for someone start a conversation with a lesson, it couldn't be less lol

For you final word, i don't care what your's idea about me, i'm just with other try to explain there are better solution, but clearly not for you, because you're the ONE....lol And for you info i give money few times for this amazing Promods, but i don't want you **** system download from old age, 300k/s lol. and specialy not to you from now ;)

Cheers my tech

edit: I post a ad for you, this reddit in fact it's perfect for you, it's verry funny that YOU post this link. Are you thinkings about this reddit all of day ?

I'm sure you enough good to found it on your reddit chan link.

bricksathome
Developer

13 Oct 2020 14:02

f3n3k wrote:
13 Oct 2020 13:38

No ? Need extra money for a old infrastructure ? Very strange, you're alone to do the 2...
Very funny, I have a clue for you, Torrent, no need a big infrastructure, and another clue, Magnetlink....

We just ask you to make a torrent with descent speed, your only reply it's to ban and lower the speed.
Ok, so lets say we did switch to hosting the download over torrent and removed the paid and free downloads, suddenly we loose 90% of our revenue sources. Obviously in terms of developers, that's not an issue because everyone is a volunteer. However, now that we've got no revenue we couldn't afford to support:
A. this website and all the other promods.net pages (blog etc) and
B. any of our internal development tools

So now we've got no website and none of the external tools we use for development, so with that said:
How do we keep developing the project with no website and no tools?
Where do you suggest we get that 90% of our revenue back?

Also, there are many, many people in this world that have never used torrents and don't know how to, so by switching to torrents we'll probably also loose a chunk of our playerbase
Last edited by bricksathome on 13 Oct 2020 16:37, edited 2 times in total.
The Best Way To see What I've been Doing Recently Is To Click Here!
http://www.youtube.com/c/bricksathome1

Currently working in mid Wales in ETS2
and the area around Kelowna and Vernon in ATS

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information