A question about Canadian driving.

Ask questions about the ATS mod here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
KeaganExtremeGaming

05 Dec 2020 06:59

i actually live in bc so i can provide some rules of the road. unless a sign prohibits it is legal to turn left onto a one way street (i have no idea if the game's code is programmed so that is legal, only one car can be in the intersection waiting to turn left at al time, slower traffic has to keep right in some places with a lots of highways being kept right except to pass. some multilane highways may tell trucks to stay in the far right lane and middle lane.

lonestranger
Donation rank:

05 Dec 2020 18:48

Edit: Whoops, I see KeaganExtremeGaming said the same thing.

British Columbian here. To pile on the confusion, in B.C. if the cross street only has traffic lanes going to the left (for instance a one-way street) it is legal to turn left on a red light.

I don't know if there are any intersections like that in the mod, and if I'd be surprised if it was even possible to disable the fines for turning left on red only in B.C.

Gabriel T
Donation rank:

05 Dec 2020 22:20

Here in Ontario too we can turn left at a red light (after having fully stopped and checked for clear path) from a one way street to a one way street (obviously)...

its kind of rare though because there is not that many one way street around here :P

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

06 Dec 2020 21:08

I dont think the game can handle it.

For me as a european the green flashing light just looks weird and confusing. If the road is clear, why not just a solid green light like you would do with straight as well :P. In my country we have yellow flashing lights, which indicate that you should be cautious with the turn, because other directions have green too. This is often quite handy if opposite traffic for instance already got red, since the yellow flasher will turn off. But well, thats a bit off-topic with BC :mrgreen:
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

ScuL
Founder

07 Dec 2020 01:54

What is far more confusing for me is having a green light and having to give way.
We also have this situation in New Zealand but in Europe it is rather rare and unheard of. Green means go, not give way. :D
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

kelvin2003

09 Dec 2020 02:41

Is it possible to add fully protected left turn signals in the mod?

macktruck555

22 Dec 2020 18:27

ScuL wrote:
07 Dec 2020 01:54
What is far more confusing for me is having a green light and having to give way.
We also have this situation in New Zealand but in Europe it is rather rare and unheard of. Green means go, not give way. :D
Just wanted to say, I totally love that you guys added 2-phase schemes with auxiliary left turn lights! <3

I dunno where you are in Europe but here in Croatia they're fairly common (except the auxiliary left turn phase always comes at the end, not the beginning). Full 4-phase lights are only on the biggest intersections. It was pretty annoying to have to wait out 3-4 phases on small intersections in ATS, I'm happy I don't have to do it in BC :D

bricksathome
Developer

23 Dec 2020 19:09

kelvin2003 wrote:
09 Dec 2020 02:41
Is it possible to add fully protected left turn signals in the mod?
The flashing green arrow is the fully protected stage
The Best Way To see What I've been Doing Recently Is To Click Here!
http://www.youtube.com/c/bricksathome1

Currently working in mid Wales in ETS2
and the area around Kelowna and Vernon in ATS

regis902
Donation rank:

09 Jan 2021 16:30

Hello, first off I’m loving this mod. It’s nice to be able to come up to my home country for a drive.

I’ve worked in traffic engineering/transportation planning so I find the traffic signal discussion interesting. It used to be that a “fast” flashing green across Canada indicated a fully protected phase, ie you can go straight, left or right without any conflicting movements (including pedestrians).

However, there was the opportunity for confusion with BC where a slower flashing green indicates that the signals are pedestrian activated. I’ve never really understood why the need for this slow flashing green. Lots of other provinces (including mine - Nova Scotia) have pedestrian activated signals (also known as half signals) and we just use the solid green ball signal like any other traffic signals.

So to my knowledge most other provinces have eliminated the flashing green ball signal for protected phases and instead use green arrows. In some places the arrows flash, in others they are static. The flashing green ball is no longer used in Nova Scotia at all.

A piece of traffic signal trivia - there is no such thing as a yellow light (in Canada at least). It’s actually amber, a combination of yellow and orange hues. Tell a traffic engineer you’ve seen a yellow traffic light and then get ready for the discussion that ensues! :)

voss

18 Jan 2021 03:05

How I learned to drive in Canada:
  • Fixed green: you can go but no garanties, you must yield.
  • Blinking green: you're free to go. Close your eyes and hit the gas.
  • Fixed red: what everybody knows. You mustn't go to the left or ahead but it means a STOP sign if you bear the left.
  • Flashing red: simply means a STOP sign in any context.
Although I don't remember the difference between fixed and flashing yellow. Sincerely, I don't remember seeing a flashing yellow ever.

By the way, it's very pleasant to drive in Promods Canada and come across these flashing signals! Congratulations team!

lonestranger wrote:
05 Dec 2020 18:48
Edit: Whoops, I see KeaganExtremeGaming said the same thing.

British Columbian here. To pile on the confusion, in B.C. if the cross street only has traffic lanes going to the left (for instance a one-way street) it is legal to turn left on a red light.

I don't know if there are any intersections like that in the mod, and if I'd be surprised if it was even possible to disable the fines for turning left on red only in B.C.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ATS”

• Information