Development on version 2.x (Trailer and Company Pack)

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
peppercat89
Donation rank:

14 May 2015 13:53

Hello,

I think Nestlé might be worth adding to the collection. Any thoughts?

LoaderSaints

14 May 2015 16:05

plykkegaard wrote:You can find similar Tesco buildings, the major part of OBI is located in Germany
You are correct. We might be able to include Tesco as well if we manage to create custom companies. At least that is our plan.
sirdias wrote:Hi all! Great list of companies uk_daf_fan. I have some ideas for some of the Scandinavian companies. Drekkartrans could be Börje Jönsson, GNT = EuRoute, Norrsken = TransFargo, NS_oil = Statoil, Polaris lines = Stena Lines, Renar Logistic = Freja. Can't wait for your pack to be released.
Even though I am not uk_daf_fan, I am the guy who is in charge of creating the textures for the companies (so it was actually me who posted the list of companies if you didn't notice :lol: ). We will consider your propositions. Personally I've been already thinking about having Statoil and Stena Lines in the mod but the decision is not just mine to do alone.
Hyperion wrote:I hope it will have similiar ones to the current realistic companies mod, such as UPS, FedEx, JohnDeere, DHL and JCB mainly
UPS and FedEx are out of the question since those are American companies (no offence, but it is Euro Truck Simulator after all and those companies have more suitable European counterparts). There really is no suitable company to represent John Deere with. DHL is already in the mod as you can see from the list I posted earlier. And the thing with JCB is that there really is no company in the game which manufactures construction equipment. I know other mods have the quarry as Caterpillar or CAT for short but that isn't realistic. We aim for realism just like the rest of the ProMods team.
inkkari wrote:I would love to see some special transports like windmill parts, big machinery and so on
Windmill parts are already in as a cargo from the Scandinavia DLC so I guess there is no need for us to create such a cargo. However I am not the right person to answer questions about the cargo types or trailer types available in the pack as my job is to create textures and mainly to re-skin the companies but my guess is that we will not create custom machinery as a cargo unless we were to incorporate a mod containing such in our pack. We still do not know everything that the pack will contain once finished.
peppercat89 wrote:I think Nestlé might be worth adding to the collection. Any thoughts?
That might be an option. We'll have to think about it with the team. ;)

Woah, what a post! :lol:

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

14 May 2015 18:45

Tronni22 wrote:
inkkari wrote:I would love to see some special transports like windmill parts, big machinery and so on
We already have windmill parts thanks dlc scandinavia, but big machinery, thats something!
But I'm pretty sure that isn't easy.
Don't worry, we're trying to get more content from other places to put into the pack ;).

inkkari

14 May 2015 19:34

uk_daf_Fan sounds really cool.

zebenji
Graphics Designer

14 May 2015 22:59

LoaderSaints wrote:The reason why we chose OBI instead of some supermarket is that we wanted to have some more diversity.
There's still a very high number of German companies in that list, and very few English or French ones. No Italian or Spanish one either... Although I admit that most of your choices are really interesting. I'm just a little concerned about chemical companies and industries: it's looking like a German Monopoly in there. :)

However I'm still looking forward to see this mod. I searched on the Internet to see if there's a possibility to add more companies, adding some more diversity, but it looks like a very tough task to do, which is too bad... It will look a bit weird to drive through France, Spain or Italy and see mostly German companies over there... But hey, as long as we get rid of these default companies, I'll just deal with it. :)

LoaderSaints

15 May 2015 07:48

zebenji wrote:There's still a very high number of German companies in that list, and very few English or French ones. No Italian or Spanish one either... Although I admit that most of your choices are really interesting. I'm just a little concerned about chemical companies and industries: it's looking like a German Monopoly in there.
Well, the reason for the high number of German companies is that IRL they are present in pretty much everywhere in Europe AFAIK. They were the most suitable options.
zebenji wrote:I searched on the Internet to see if there's a possibility to add more companies, adding some more diversity, but it looks like a very tough task to do, which is too bad... It will look a bit weird to drive through France, Spain or Italy and see mostly German companies over there... But hey, as long as we get rid of these default companies, I'll just deal with it. :)
We are planning to add "localized" companies as well if we manage to do that. Basically these companies would be re-skins of the default companies but with their own definitions. No custom models needed. Then it would be up to the ProMods mappers to implement these companies into the game world. And because of this, those companies should have to be part of the ProMods map package. So basically that all depends on two things; are the mappers willing to cooperate with us on that matter and are we able to make the companies (I guess if someone just shows us how it is done then we can do it). ;)

PS: I know how you feel about those companies. As a Finn I kinda miss seeing Finnish companies in Finland as IRL Finland is pretty much dominated by Finnish companies (especially in transportation business, though the only exceptions being DHL and DB Schenker).

zebenji
Graphics Designer

15 May 2015 18:17

LoaderSaints wrote:Well, the reason for the high number of German companies is that IRL they are present in pretty much everywhere in Europe AFAIK. They were the most suitable options.
Well, that's not necessarily the case. Europe is so diverse that it's extremely hard to find a company which would have sites all accross the continent. As a consequence, most industries don't have one leading company, but several. Just a few examples to show what I mean :

- Chemical/Pharmaceutical industry: you picked both Bayer and Linde, two German companies who may be implemented in some countries, but not everywhere. In fact, I don't think there's a company implemented in every country in that field. However, why not picking larger companies, like Novartis (based in Switzerland), or Sanofi (based in France)? Both companies are larger than these two. For pure chemical companies you have Shell or Total. Not to mention the dozens of other chemical companies which are implemented in several countries (like Solvay in Belgium, first I have in mind). Not all chemical industries are German, and those you picked aren't necessarily the biggest ones.

- Construction and agriculture companies: Honestly I've never heard of Mibau before. The thing is, there's no monopoly in Europe. Quarries are owned by a big number of companies (the State even owns a few quarries when it comes to France), so there's no real solution for that one. I mean, I don't think we find Mibau sites all across Europe, just like the French State doesn't own quarries in Romania or Iceland. Same thing for agiculture companies: eAcres can be replaced by countless options, from Nestlé to Danone to Arla Foods to Unilever... to numerous private owners and local cooperatives. Actually, I've heard of Agrovista before but you don't find everywhere, just like the examples I gave.

- Transportation: That's where diversity could have been easily used, because there are tons of transportation companies. Of course, a few are absolutely mandatory: TNT and DHL have a very wide network, for example. For the rest, to add some diversity, why not using more localized companies? Eddie Stobart and DB Schenker are perfect. However, why adding another German company like Fiege, whereas we have Waberer's in Hungary (which spreads accross Europe, given the number of trucks I see around here), GLS in the Netherlands, or even LKW in Austrlia?

- Furthermore, still regarding transportation, you said you didn't want to add UPS or Fedex because it's EURO Truck Simulator 2. I agree with you on that point: you want to replace the default companies by the ones we find in Europe. So in that case, you have to admit that we find these two everywhere in Europe - maybe with a small advantage to UPS. Deciding to boycott UPS because it's an American company is like not wanting to implement McDonald's restaurants in a "Euro Fast Food Simulator" game. This doesn't make any sense. If the main transport company in Europe was Chinese or Brazilian, would you do the same thing? However, as I said, there are many transportation companies in Europe so it's not really a big deal. The reason you gave was just a little weird to me, that's all.

To sum it up, I really appreciate the job you're making. However, finding a perfect fit for each default company is an impossible task because no company "owns" Europe. There's still a possibility to add a little diversity, and that's why I'm happy to find a French and a British company. But remember that Promods is spreading South (Spain, Italy) and East (Romania, Baltic States, etc.), where the majority of the companies you create just don't exist. The best solution would be to find a way to create custom companies. In fact, some people in Promods already know how to do this, because he have a lot of these already, like the Iglo companies in Iceland. I guess the trick is to create a duplicate prefab with links to alternate company logos, but it'll be easier to ask someone who created one of these companies. Once you know how it works, it'll be easy to create custom companies and 1. make everyone happy, and 2. have "local" companies in different countries. The only problem would be to replace the prefabs on the map, but if the prefabs are duplicates, maybe the only thing to do is to change an ID. :/

I asked that question on SCS forum a few days ago, and this is the only answer I got. Doubt it'll help you, but just in case:

http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=183179

Sorry for this really long message. I just wanted to say that your idea is brilliant, but if we manage to find a way to create local companies, you'll have, without any doubt, one of the best mods ETS2 will have. :)

Eryman
Developer

16 May 2015 03:00

Which are the new DLC companies? Are they just logistic companies or what?

The brazilian guy of ProMods

adrian007
Donation rank:

16 May 2015 05:36

Hi again this might sound "out there" don't know if they're still in business or not but how about using MacAlpines/ Wimpey for quarry company or JCB/ construction sites?
Hope I've got the wording right . ;)
Regards
Adrian 8-)

jdenm8
Graphics Designer

16 May 2015 08:40

JCB makes construction and agricultural equipment. They don't actually build buildings. Think Caterpillar, John Deere or Hitachi Heavy Equipment.

Looking at it, Lafarge isn't a good replacement for Sanbuilders either. They make Concrete and particulates, they aren't in construction. That's reinforced with their pending merger with Holcim, another Cement company. Maybe the new Scandinavian quarry would fit them.

Maybe one of the ACS subsidiaries or their competitors would be a better replacement for Sanbuilders?
Curry?! My manual doesn't have any data on curry... What's the meaning of this...?!

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information