phpBB woes

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
plykkegaard
Donation rank:

21 May 2015 07:16

LA-MJ wrote:I wonder how those work exactly. E. g. I see unread posts includes subfora I never even visit. New posts don't.
Can't recall if you can change it, I can see the scssoft forurm might have it differently
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

Aussie Trucker

22 May 2015 00:11

plykkegaard wrote: I always like to be informed of alternatives, don't need pros/cons as it's down to preferences anyway ;-)
Platform is Linux/Apache running PHP and mySQL or PostgreSQL at the backend
I prefer to research and judge on my own personal experience. If the product looks like it suits my needs, or the needs of my clients, I'll test it out and if it works, fine, if not I'll get rid of it. I don't care if it's free or paid for and I don't judge it on any number of positive or negative reviews. For something simple like a forum I usually run several versions on my production server and crash test them before sending them live. At the end of the day it's hard to beat VB for what it is especially when it comes to running a forum with 200,000+ members however with it's cost being so cheap it's also a viable alternative for small forums. That's not to say there isn't a place for free forums software because there is but the knowledge and understanding of forum owners often needs to be higher to ensure seamless operation. Sadly that just isn't the case with many who choose the free alternative as it's chosen to meet a cost not a purpose.

A good designer could completely revamp an out of the box copy of any of the free forum software, with a bit of work one could even make it look and feel like a VB forum and there would still be complaints about it's operation simply because most people don't give a rats about the software only that the software does what they want it too. Unfortunately many who do have complaints, valid or not, don't understand the effort that has to go in to making the changes that make a few happy, but even more unfortunate is the number of forum owners who continually pass off suggestions with poor excuses that thinly veil the real excuse that making such adaptions is beyond their capabilities.

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

22 May 2015 00:35

Aussie Trucker wrote: While I have used free forum software for years I also don't see the cost of VB as a problem but over the years the one thing I do know is that the majority of problems on all forums are based on personal opinion. "I don't like the background colour.", "The headings are not bold enough.", "When I hit send a fluffy bunny should pop up and thank me for my valuable input.", "The free money button should be at the top of the page.", "Forum XYZ does this differently and I like it so you should implement it here." The list is as endless as the "learn to use the search button" replies that every forum has but the biggest difference is that unlike the often rude and inconsiderate search button replies the "problems" usually come down to personal preference and changing for one person even on a small forum like this is unlikely.

Don't get me wrong I'm but kicking you for thinking changes can be made or having an opinion, we've all had at least one, but at the end of the day if one can type a message and have it appear on the screen (without the fluffy bunny unfortunately) sometimes it's easier to ignore personal preferences and likes, even if they appear to be glaringly obvious flaws, and just accept that change doesn't always happen.
I'm not talking about style changes. Most of the time I don't care about it, unless there's obvious flaws like bad contrast etc. Besides it's easy to change CSS by any admin and user alike (I use Stylish browser extension for a number of sites).

What I mean is real backend functionality (written in PHP), and like my 3 examples show, there are certainly glitches with it. And it's not unreasonable things like fluffy bunnies either. Seeing your message on the screen is not enough. The read/unread post functionalities are what make a forum forum. They have work properly because without them you can't monitor a forum properly. Might as well use one stream for everything then (think IRC) or a mailing list, google groups etc.

I do have some skill with PHP but not the time. It takes a huge amount of time to contribute to any FOSS project simply because you need to figure out how the project is structured first. Only then you can find the bug and fix it.

It's not worth it for me personally because I don't maintain a forum myself. It's best to make a bug report and leave it to people who are acquainted with the system.

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

22 May 2015 00:39

ScuL wrote:I always click on the little orange icon in front of thread title, it always takes me to the first unread post.
/facepalm

Wow, that's like a definition of unreasonable design. A little incomprehensible/unnoticeable icon to the left of thread title hides a major functionality. Or is it only me with my poor eyesight?

Somebody needs a good spanking on phpBB design team. The other forum I linked to has a red button that says 'NEW' to the right of the thread title. Can't be clearer than that.

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out. Now if only there was an ignore thread button, I might actually be satisfied for now :P

Aussie Trucker

22 May 2015 04:36

LA-MJ wrote: I'm not talking about style changes. Most of the time I don't care about it, unless there's obvious flaws like bad contrast etc. Besides it's easy to change CSS by any admin and user alike (I use Stylish browser extension for a number of sites).

What I mean is real backend functionality (written in PHP), and like my 3 examples show, there are certainly glitches with it. And it's not unreasonable things like fluffy bunnies either. Seeing your message on the screen is not enough. The read/unread post functionalities are what make a forum forum. They have work properly because without them you can't monitor a forum properly. Might as well use one stream for everything then (think IRC) or a mailing list, google groups etc.
I wasn't talking about that either, well not specifically. I was however pointing out that personal preferences and likes may appear to be flaws to some but not to others. For me several of the links, their positioning and their functionality on this forum are poorly aligned, badly placed or just don't behave the way many other forums do and although some users may agree the responses of those running this forum is evidence that changes wont be made. That's fair I probably wouldn't make changes to any of my forums based on the requests of a few either. At the end of the day my experiences, my skills and my personal taste don't matter on this forum and rather than worry about the few things I don't like it's easier to figure out a work around which is pretty much what I said in the other.,"just accept that change doesn't always happen".

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

22 May 2015 07:12

Is it something like this you are looking for?
http://www.artodia.com/phpbb-31-styles/

So far I have seen a few buzzwords but no hard facts on the table
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

30 May 2015 23:15

Again lost the last read post on 'ProMods 1.95 is now released' topic.
Last edited by tkk7406 on 01 Jun 2015 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please try to control your words

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information