Cities: Skylines discussion

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
MYE2001

29 Jun 2015 11:31

I solved the garbage problem by improving road infrastructure.My city is much better compared to old situation.

martinusK

29 Jun 2015 12:30

DeusHorizon wrote:Best interchange I ever seen in my life :D
Thanks :lol: Interestingly, the original interchange was the game default T-intersection. I had created a five-layer, four way monster interchange in my first ever city, so i wanted to do that again :lol:
adgjl wrote:It doesn't look too different to that interchange RealDeal made by Barcelona :P
RealDeals interchange has more highways (mine is all slip roads), also his is much bigger, i couldve used a simple cloverleaf there, but there is no space for it (also, its less fun that way :lol:) ;)
MYE2001 wrote:I solved the garbage problem by improving road infrastructure.My city is much better compared to old situation.
Great :) What was the main issue? Make sure to not have alot of intersections, use roundabouts etc. Often separating the truck traffic from regular traffic (and residential/commercial areas :!: ) will improve traffic. For instance, all truck traffic heading to the newest part of the city has separate routes in my interchange Kaos.
ProMods developer for Estonia Image
Currently working on another bit of Estonia, you'll see it in the Euromir thread soon enough

kristiadi

29 Jun 2015 12:37

why playing cities skyline? you dont like cities xxl?

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

29 Jun 2015 12:41

Even with a restrictive slope mod, I managed to build this compact interchange once:
kristiadi wrote:why playing cities skyline? you dont like cities xxl?
CitiesXL (and its successors) had a high potential at first, but it never lived up to that. The sloppy game engine and the somewhat boring and undynamic gameplay and the fact that it bankrupted the original developer made CitiesXL not so very popular. CitiesXXL is basically CitiesXL 2011, just with some extra buildings added and not much more.

I've seen the whole development of CitiesXL and it's one of the examples of failing marketing strategies in this game genre *cough!* Planet Offer *cough!*. SimCity 2013 didn't learn from this failure and made quite similar mistakes. The main complaint? The developers opened up communication channels, promised to listen to the community, but in reality they ignored the community altogether.

Cities:Skylines is a completely new game and it was a huge success at launch. It's barely four months old, and the rate of newly produced custom content is astonishing! This game is more alive than CitiesXL ever was.
Last edited by tkk7406 on 29 Jun 2015 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

kristiadi

29 Jun 2015 13:13

just give one good reason to play cities: skyline! i think better graphic doesnt make it better game. thats all..

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

29 Jun 2015 13:21

The Graphics in Cities:Skylines are not better than Cities XL. The thing that most people get hooked on is the gameplay. It feels dynamic, challenging and alive. The management of your city keeps you busy, but not too busy. The game's performance is also better than Cities XL (those dreaded memory leaks!)

Besides, the modding support for this game is excellent! It's designed to be modded :D
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

martinusK

29 Jun 2015 13:23

Its not the graphics (well, not only), its the level of detail, the flexibility of the game (meaning you have very little restrictions), the fact that it has so far been constantly updated, you can mod the game...Also it is currently the best city-building game and perhaps even the greatest ever.

ninja-d by MandelSoft
ProMods developer for Estonia Image
Currently working on another bit of Estonia, you'll see it in the Euromir thread soon enough

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

29 Jun 2015 13:33

If you don't rush and pay a little attention to layout and details you can get any city up and running within a week or so with a few hours gameplay everyday
On easy settings that is
On eg SimCity series you can easy fail miserable
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

kristiadi

29 Jun 2015 13:47

chalenging huh?? try build mega city with 8 milion citizen, and tell me again cities xxl not chalenging.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

29 Jun 2015 14:02

Cities:Skylines is challenging in the starting stages of the city... and after rapid expansions. Try to make city of 1 million, that's very hard to do in Cities:Skylines...
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information