Roundabouts...

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
ETS2-User
Developer

19 Jul 2015 07:51

I think there are even some semi mountable roundabout prefabs in FLD's pack but they don't seem to be used too often… it's more fun to drive on a normal one anyway for me :D
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

Aussie Trucker

20 Jul 2015 00:38

Roundabouts are just like cars, if they get in the way too bad. :)

If every roundabout in the game was semi-mountable it would take away the risk of testing them. No point pushing the boundary if you know where every boundary is. It's like some of the bugs people find (the missing signs or barriers etc not the bugs that stop the game working), I treat some of them as features because while they might remove a little bit of realism in one place on the map they make it more fun. Sure the realists might think it's cheating or not in the spirit of the game but sometimes playing ETS2 'Demolition Derby' is more fun that just delivering a load from point a to point b.

RustyShackleford
Donation rank:

20 Jul 2015 01:13

I have the opposite opinion. I think this game needs more tight difficult areas. I mean you are playing the wrong simulator if you have trouble getting around these, its all perfectly doable. I think players get spoiled because almost every single corner in the game is so wide you don't even have to swing out very much, if at all, so its basically about as hard as driving a car most of the time. not that it isn't a wonderful game but I have my issues with it haha.

Aussie Trucker

20 Jul 2015 07:49

RustyShackleford wrote:I have the opposite opinion. I think this game needs more tight difficult areas.
I think that too and that's why I like RusMap with it's tight roads, roads with lumps and bumps and roads that aren't even bitumen. Having never been to Europe I can't comment on how good or bad the roads are but I was surprised just how plain and boring they really are in the game and that is why at times I do find myself riding roundabouts and taking short cuts because for me it breaks up the monotony of a paved paradise where there isn't even potholes in the road.

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

20 Jul 2015 07:58

ETS2 resembles northern Europe very well
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

Aussie Trucker

21 Jul 2015 00:43

Some of this countries best paved roads are 2000ks from the cities but within a 100k radius of every capital city the roads have pot holes, lumps, fading line marking, varying surfaces and little road work. Some of the heaviest traffic routes will only carry about 20,000 vehicles a day (average) but because of a lack of maintenance they end up with potholes and lumps all over the place and given that most road works only patch problems not dig them up and fix them properly we end up with large squares of repaired bitumen several inches higher than the rest of the road surface.

By and ETS standard we'd get 20% damage on every run just by keeping to the paved roads and not hitting anything.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

21 Jul 2015 10:09

Maintenance levels in Europe may vary quite a lot. Two very good examples are the differences between Belgium and the Netherlands. In the Netherlands, most roads have a good solid road deck from no more than 10 or 15 years old (the only problem is that the roads tend to get bumpy due to peat and clay soil, which is bad to build on because these tend to compress a lot, making roads uneven). I consider this as properly maintained roads, and potholes are an exception (caused by freezing and it usually gets fixed afterwards). A lot of motorways in the Netherlands have an AADT of 100 000 vehicles, some even over 200 000 vehicles per day!

Belgium, despite of it's smaller motorway network and being about the same size of the Netherlands, has much poorer maintained roads. Although it's improving (the E42 Verviers-St. Vith has been recently repaved), there are still some roads that are so bad you can't drive on the correct lanes anymore (E42 Charleroi).

So, you see, there is still a large difference within Europe when it comes to road quality. However, pothholes and other imperfect surfaces are very, very hard to implement in ETS2 in a proper way...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

21 Jul 2015 17:24

MandelSoft wrote: ......
So, you see, there is still a large difference within Europe when it comes to road quality. However, pothholes and other imperfect surfaces are very, very hard to implement in ETS2 in a proper way...
I must say, RusMap does a pretty good job at implementing bad road surfaces.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

21 Jul 2015 18:30

Potholes!

You guys won't believe just how bad they are in and around Chicago. Here are the stats from 2014. As you can see, the third largest city in the U.S. has a real challenge!

I dare say that we have probably worse roads and streets than many third-world countries! :twisted:

Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

martinusK

21 Jul 2015 18:42

Just a regular day in Tallinn....

Quite sad that there are so many potholes, but Estonia's climate is to blame.... :(
ProMods developer for Estonia Image
Currently working on another bit of Estonia, you'll see it in the Euromir thread soon enough

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information