[SOLVED] Textures going C-R-A-Z-Y!!!

This is where topics get moved that aren't caused by bugs in our mod
MandelSoft
Lead Developer

13 Jan 2014 18:31

What makes it especially hard for us is that we can't replicate this bug on our end, so we can't even test if our fix works or even diagnose the problem!
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Timopm

13 Jan 2014 18:53

I can reproduce the issue almost all the time by taking a ferry to Norway or Sweden. After exiting the ferry it happens almost instantly or after a couple of minutes max. This includes bugged signs, tire textures, truck textures, landscape textures and map issues.

This only happens when driving through the ProMods countries, never had the issue in 80 hours of the default game.

hellmade

14 Jan 2014 22:20

hi Nico,

I don't think so since it's not like a texture is wrongly displayed. It's the wrong texture that is displayed and everywhere.

I get sign-textures on cars, trucks, trailers aso. Even the textures in the minimap and the "M"-Key-map do change when driving on.

And it's not one or two textures that spread out everywhere but virutally all of them.

It seems like newly cached map-textures from (eg.) ProMods more or less randomly override other textures the game uses. I also guess that it is an ID-transfering problem rather than a wrong memory allocation or usage since the textures that are wrongly displayed do look quite ok considering that it are the wrong ones.

I dont't think that you guys can do much about it. Maybe you are using a different space of texture- or object-id's (I mean all of them, not one) than scs does witch would provide a reason why promod is affected but the vanilla or going east is not. Unfortunately I wasn't able to track down good information from scs.

So I was hoping for a bug fix in 1.9 but couldn't get hold of any release notes yet. Maybe you got a better view.

ScuL
Founder

14 Jan 2014 22:52

The cause is that there are one (or more) textures in our pack that do not have the correct EOF (end of file), because of having been saved in the wrong format, or by a faulty editor.

What happens is that once this texture occurs the game engine reads the texture, but skips the end of file, therefore continuing reading more textures and plastering them all over the game world. Therefore you see traffic signs on railings and crap like that.

The big issue is that we have more than 2700 textures in our mod and finding the culprit is like finding a needle in a haystack.
I've discussed this problem with SCS and there may be some tool to "verify" textures so I'm waiting for a solution.

Other than this, it does NOT occur in DirectX as its clever enough to generate an EOF when it can't find one.
This problem only occurs when running the game in OpenGL (which automatically means it occurs on Linux as it can only run on OpenGL)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Timopm

14 Jan 2014 23:36

I'm not a ProMods dev, so correct me if I'm wrong. If you're talking about an incorrect EOF, I assume these are regular text files. If so, it shouldn't be hard to write a script that searches each file for a correct EOF and fixes it if needed. I'm willing to take a shot at this if anyone has a bit more info on the format.

ScuL
Founder

14 Jan 2014 23:56

Timopm wrote:I'm not a ProMods dev, so correct me if I'm wrong. If you're talking about an incorrect EOF, I assume these are regular text files. If so, it shouldn't be hard to write a script that searches each file for a correct EOF and fixes it if needed. I'm willing to take a shot at this if anyone has a bit more info on the format.
No the textures are saved in DDS DXT5 (Nvidia spec). However some files may be in DDS but not necessarily DXT5 (8-bit for instance).
Very hard to find this
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Timopm

15 Jan 2014 00:23

ScuL wrote:No the textures are saved in DDS DXT5 (Nvidia spec). However some files may be in DDS but not necessarily DXT5 (8-bit for instance).
Very hard to find this
Tricky, but definitely not impossible to script this. There are libraries that can work with those formats, which make it easier. The script doesn't even need to correct and export the fixed file, but listing them is a great help already so they can be fixed manually.

hellmade

15 Jan 2014 07:48

hi Scul,

if so: I also get wrong textures when I'm going past the big ikea you created near London. Meybe there are less textures involved. Maybe it's even the Icea-Sign that pops up on the navigator itself.

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

15 Jan 2014 07:51

It happens randomly with the textures in the mod I guess...
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

hellmade

15 Jan 2014 22:16

hi,

this picture shows the only texture I don't know in the moment if its a real tile or just rubbish.

I got it repeatedly by:
1. Starting the Game
2. Loading my profile
3. opening the map
4. scrolling to the right place
5. zooming a bit

Maybe that helps a little.
Attachments
brokenmap.jpg
brokenmap.jpg (106.44 KiB) Viewed 2075 times

Return to “Not a bug ETS2”

• Information