ProMods Roadhouse (free topic)

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

28 Aug 2015 13:34

Ey, I'm online :mrgreen:
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

Space4K

28 Aug 2015 13:50

Izargon wrote:Just thought I'd get this off my mind and talk about it.
You have to understand one thing. ProMods wouldn't exist without hard working, dedicated and very creative people; and highly creative people have a reputation for arrogance. Not all of them are arrogant, hell no! However there seems to be some correlation. ;) Once Salvador Dali said -"When I paint, ocean roars. Others merely paddle in their bath." Some creative souls are just like Mr. Dali.
A smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half... I am the smart man. LOL!

Dannu
Donation rank:

28 Aug 2015 16:56

I use finnish :D
Ex-ProMods Beta Tester from 1.90 to 2.64

pauliaxz
Donation rank:

31 Aug 2015 12:16

Just noticed that 1.97 is over 700MB size, while 1.96 was over 1GB. Why package size is smaller?

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

31 Aug 2015 12:31

Because we have found a better compression method by 7zip. However, this does have a consequence that the packed SCS files are uncompressed when un-packed, which makes the unpacked SCS packages bigger in 1.97 compared to 1.96.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

adgjl
Donation rank:

31 Aug 2015 12:32

Scul explains it here, it's down to differences in compression and extraction and other things I don't understand :P
Bugs are love, bugs are life

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

01 Sep 2015 09:27

pauliaxz wrote:Just noticed that 1.97 is over 700MB size, while 1.96 was over 1GB. Why package size is smaller?
lzma >> deflate

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

01 Sep 2015 18:32

LA-MJ wrote:
pauliaxz wrote:Just noticed that 1.97 is over 700MB size, while 1.96 was over 1GB. Why package size is smaller?
lzma >> deflate
I've used lzma for all of my company's product installers for years. It is a far better compression scheme than any other so far... 8-)
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

01 Sep 2015 22:01

tkk7406 wrote:Recently, I've noticed that a few people have "taken sides" on who should take the Crimean peninsula. I cannot remember who has this in their signature but may I kindly request you to please take it off? If you want you can discuss it here. Thank you.
Yes I agree, this is immature crap. Some people seem to want to disturb sensitive issues rather than leave them alone.

Izargon

02 Sep 2015 03:01

Referencing the Number of responses to my previous post, and seeing the reactions to Squirrel's continuing trek accross South America, but first...

Mandelsoft- [you're the one that sticks in my head the most].. Thank you for being honest about it... And this actually goes into my planned response in general anyway, so see below...

I am beside myself with your responses of negativity to the TBM aka Cross section map of South America" aka "Copy of stock scs + dlc map according to Promods". As I have actually driven the Brasil map in question, I can say that ignoring the fact that the towns are 95% from scs designs and instead focusing the road system. Some of the roads have been elevated, truncated, accordianed, straightened, laced, levelled and hillified. A lot of these roads have been cut up, sectioned, placed; much of the aforementioned not having been further editted for road paint continuity..

Obviously, the author of this map is fairly new at the trade, all of you were new as well once to map making. Is it difficult for you to swallow the snide remarks and at least recognize that guy is trying? Now, don't get me wrong, the map needs a ton of improvement, but burning the map at the stake so to speak is not the way to offer constructive criticism.. Its obvious I enjoy the map, its fairly obvious Squirrel is intrigued enough to continue playing it.

I think you've gotten too far from the perspective of the regular ets2 player... who does not delve into map making, these sort only drive map mods, like me. I do think that from time to time you should all consider doing a week without map making at your own discretion to just simply drive maps instead of thinking in map maker mode nearly all the time. Instead of solely looking at a map like total brasil map from a map maker's eyes, switch gears and look at it from a map mod user point of view.

Dont ever forget that before you generally become map makers, you are game players.... I guess that is my main point I'm talking about here, is that you need to remain in contact with the basic side the game. EAA and TBM, try from a map user perspective before you fire off your map maker's opinion... And honestly, I do not try many maps, only the larger maps pique my interest, regardless of how true to life it may or may not be... both maps spoken of in regard to the SNT thread and Brasil are only meant as representations of cities in Brasil and South America, just as Promods cities are representations of European cities.

I remember playing Promods in its infancy myself, and many hats off to the tiny team that produced that map too. At the time, those towns represented real life towns without too much real life reference then. Did we players care? No, we loved it. We enjoyed being able to travel up north. Don't you remember? The feeling was "we didnt care about the realism, being able to just drive to new places is good" sort of vibe.

The same goes for EAA and Brasil total maps, I don't care that the towns are facsimiles of scs European towns, in fact, I know they are, and it doesn't bother me for the most part. Its a new place to drive, the roads are semi different. It puts my interest in this game we enjoy back up from playing sims 2/3/4.

Moral point to all this: If you're gonna comment on a map, then you better well drive on it first. If you won't drive on it, then don't comment on it.

Didn't mean to sound harsh, but that's likely how it came out. Good night.

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information