Winter (and Christmas) is coming!

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Polestar
Donation rank:

07 Sep 2015 21:04

I do remember a while ago that the forecast said "frosty temperatures but not a real amount of snow"

Next day, opens door, bam, 15 cm snow.
If that is "not a real amount", what is then?

Then again, from the country where even the summer means rain, what did we expect.
Current truck: 2021 Mercedes Actros MP5
Current trailer: 2021 Schmitz S.KO
License plate:
Image Image

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

07 Sep 2015 23:52

For the past three years winter here in the Chicago, Illinois area has been brutal. Several times this past winter I've been trapped in my house for four or five days, being unable to even get to my car in the detached garage much less drive anywhere.

It's a good thing that I keep several months worth of food for such times. Between my pantry, side-by-side refrigerator/freezer and my huge deep-freezer, at least I won't go hungry! :lol:

Of course, the past few weeks have been anything but cold here, the temperature rarely going below 35ºC even at night... :shock:
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

08 Sep 2015 08:44

I always snigger when I see snow videos from the US in the local news. I guess it depends on the state but generally what you hear is massive panic, state of emergency being instated and schools closing down after first snow.

Snow is a given here and even if road maintenance are always caught off guard (because they don't have calendars nor monitor weather broadcasts, apparently), aside from drivers cursing them and the weather life goes on as usual.

It got 'better' with the global warming of course but I remember winters of the 90s when snow drifts went over my head literally (granted my head was at a low hight :D) but I don't remember life crawling to a halt.

We have similar attitude to cold as well. E. g. generally schools close only after it reaches -30C (-22F) and -25C (-13F) for primary schools. I remember we used to have those temps every year. It's funny knowing that 0F is supposed to signify 'coldest winter ever' or some such.

I wonder what the cost differences between those that have to deal with heat (refrigeration) vs cold (heating, clothes, road maintenance, etc) are. I think the latter are worse off but why then Southern Europe is always in financial trouble, I ask you?

So yeah, your regular climate really changes your perception.

Photon_

08 Sep 2015 17:10

thekovacs wrote:In Britain, the weather isn't really making its mind up. August was rainy and mild, and now that September has arrived we're getting warm sunshine during the daytime and chilly nights. Generally our autumn is not cold, though.

I wish we had colder winters. We always seem to have these dreary winters with cold rain and endless days of grey skies, but no frost or snow to really set any kind of atmosphere... Just cold and wet enough to be miserable. I can remember the really cold winter of 2009/2010 where my college was closed for several days, and there was a proper blanket of snow, but we haven't really had anything like that since. It's the most exciting thing, looking outside in the morning to see a completely different landscape :mrgreen:

Being in Hungary during temperatures of -16C walking around last winter was an eye-opening experience, for me.
I'm glad i'm not the only one that want colder frosty snowy weather i hate the winters here but i'm glad it was rainy in august i cant stand hot weather

thekovacs
Donation rank:

08 Sep 2015 20:54

LA-MJ wrote: *snip*

I wonder what the cost differences between those that have to deal with heat (refrigeration) vs cold (heating, clothes, road maintenance, etc) are. I think the latter are worse off but why then Southern Europe is always in financial trouble, I ask you?

*snip*
Really interesting question.

Tourism is a significant part of these Southern European economies, and that's at least partly due to the warmth. It also allows them to grow commodities such as grapes for wine, which cannot grow in colder climates. I don't see how refrigeration will detract much from their economy comparatively - All European countries have to use refrigeration for products, and companies use air conditioning in the summer in all parts of Europe.

When there is a cold winter, maybe it can cause problems for the retail sector because people are less likely to want to wander around shopping in the cold, or don't want to drive or walk on icy surfaces. It's much easier to shop on the internet instead.

In terms of state spending, it's surely much more expensive to have a colder climate.

Michle74

15 Sep 2015 10:14

Yeah I am so excited for this year’s Christmas day. Actually I am getting married next year and this would be my last Christmas as single and I would celebrate this day in abroad with my friends. Well, I am quite busy in my wedding planning too. I would book the best wedding planner nyc for further planning.

cashtime2013
Developer
Donation rank:

15 Sep 2015 16:41

If you believe one or two of the UK tabloid newspapers, we're in for the coldest winter since 1963 here in Britain. We'll wait and see........... ;)
British Isles Developer

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, Intel i5 quad-core CPU, nvidia Geforce GTX 1650, ASUS VZ249HE 24" monitor, 750watt PSU, ETS2 & ATS 64bit

martinusK

15 Sep 2015 17:06

I really hope Estonia gets a good cold this year...
Ofcourse i don't enjoy walking to the bus with -25ºC, but i haven't skied in three years... :/
ProMods developer for Estonia Image
Currently working on another bit of Estonia, you'll see it in the Euromir thread soon enough

adgjl
Donation rank:

15 Sep 2015 17:30

cashtime2013 wrote:If you believe one or two of the UK tabloid newspapers, we're in for the coldest winter since 1963 here in Britain. We'll wait and see........... ;)
Just like last year then! And the year before that now I come to think of it... :P
Bugs are love, bugs are life

realdeal350
Developer

15 Sep 2015 22:44

ScuL wrote:my first summer Christmas
Lol this will be my 14th even though one time there was heavy hail and rain for the whole day :lol:
Spain developer
Canada developer
Regional Co-ordinator for the Roman region

Languages: English, italiano

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information