Curiosity question

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

28 Jan 2016 14:08

pwny1320 wrote:im not wanting to release them publicly i would be more inclined to send them straight to you guys to officially patch your version lol
No, just no. We would never combine our map with TSM. We have a totally different approach on modding ETS2
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

pwny1320

28 Jan 2016 14:12

neither team may not but alot of people in the community like both maps and it would benefit both teams to join together, its kinda like north and south Korea, if they both joined forces they could take over the world but while they remain at a stand off they will only destroy each other, tbh i have never used TSM and have only ever played ProMods because the first time my mate showed me both the mods on his computer you could really see the difference in quality so i picked my side but imagine if you guys could integrate with TSM and eventually just out patch them with their own content you would be the controlling force of the map mod world supporting the big 3, i speak from experience from a few years ago when i ran a world of warcraft private server and i eventually sold my servers to another PS and they ended up in the #1 1x rates server before they eventually got shut down

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

28 Jan 2016 14:56

Do you understand the concepts "no" and "never" ?
Do you really think the two teams haven't had the discuss in the past?
We have settled it in a friendly manner and agreed to disagree - no harm done

And by this the discussion has ended
Any further comments on the subject will be frawned upon
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

28 Jan 2016 15:22

pwny1320 wrote:neither team may not but alot of people in the community like both maps and it would benefit both teams to join together, its kinda like north and south Korea, if they both joined forces they could take over the world but while they remain at a stand off they will only destroy each other,
Wrong analogy, sir.

First, TSM and ProMods are both different teams of different people, with vastly different views and objectives. If you put the two teams together, it's most probably going to end up in a fighting relation and the two will break up again. Unlike the story with the two Koreas, there is no tendency to join the two teams. Instead, we have agreed to disagree and let the other team do their business.

Second, how exactly are we destroying each other? It's not like either side destroys each other's funds and websites...

Third, "a lot of people" is quite an arrogant statement to make. Can you look in other people's heads or do you assume they agree with you? I guess the latter is more likely to be the case...
pwny1320 wrote:tbh i have never used TSM and have only ever played ProMods because the first time my mate showed me both the mods on his computer you could really see the difference in quality so i picked my side but imagine if you guys could integrate with TSM and eventually just out patch them with their own content you would be the controlling force of the map mod world supporting the big 3,
Well, there are some practical issues with that. For starters, both map have a huge overlap; the area between the Danish southern border in the north and Bologna (IT) in the south, has a completely overlap. A combination of the two map mods is not possible in this area, because all edits are mutually exclusive to each other. You have to pick just one. How do you determine which map is prioritised over another? There is also a large overlap between assets, which may cause even more issues.

The co-operation with RusMap is easier in that regard. Why? Simple: much less overlap: only 7 or 8 out of about over 700 map sectors overlap each other and the main compatiblity issues where just the connections between the two maps, right at the edge of where the ProMods map end and RusMap begins. This map combination is not mutually exclusive; it's complementary. With TSM, you have about 200 map sectors overlapping in the central part of the map, with rebuilds in areas we have rebuilt ourselves too. The areas that are not overlapping, are (in our view) either too poorly done (most of the Balkans) or outside our scope (Africa). For those areas, it's better to start from scratch again rather than upgrading it. The only exception is Western-Spain, which is actually quite decent, but due to the issues mentioned before, it's just too much effort to do that just to get Western-Spain (not to mention the author permissions you require to do that).

And this is just an issue of choice. When you delve into the technical parts, you are really opening up a can of worms...
pwny1320 wrote:i speak from experience from a few years ago when i ran a world of warcraft private server and i eventually sold my servers to another PS and they ended up in the #1 1x rates server before they eventually got shut down
Experiences of modding one game does not apply to other games automatically. I can tell you some stories about that.

First, each game engine is vastly different, and has a different way of handling mods. I have years of experience of modding SimCity 4. I could mod that game quite well, and since two and a half years, I find my way in modding ETS2 too, despite the different game engine. On the other hand, I had great difficulties modding Cities XL and I don't understand a thing about modding Cities:Skylines at all, even after searching for the modding documentation for it!

Second, modding communities themselves vastly differ. For instance, piracy and locking mods are something that's almost never occurs within the SimCity 4 community, and I still praise the people managing that community that they keep everything so civilised over there. How different is the ETS2 community, where locking mods is a necessary evil to prevent piracy, which is an all too real risk in this community. I've expressed my frustrations about this in the past. There are also people within the community that create great stuff, but simply don't want to co-operate with each other. For instance, Andu is quite talented, but he and MIRFI can't get along with each other, which is the reason why Andu never was accepted to join ProMods.

Third, we are talking about games of different genres, inner workings and therefore different audiences. How can you make assumptions based upon past experiences if the boundary conditions are different? Heck, we are even talking about a whole different kind of thing. A private server is a whole different beast than a mod, and therefore, even this comparison is simply invalid.

It's all an apples and oranges kind of story...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Polestar
Donation rank:

28 Jan 2016 15:26

I recall a TSM + ProMods combo uploaded on ets2.lt. It got massively reported and removed. I didn't test it, nor do I have any interest in combining TSM and PM. I don't disrespect people who like TSM, but myself, I don't like it at all.
Current truck: 2021 Mercedes Actros MP5
Current trailer: 2021 Schmitz S.KO
License plate:
Image Image

pwny1320

29 Jan 2016 04:59

thankyou for all this insight, however i do feel that i was partially attacked in the way your team responded to someone who was simply thinking they had a good idea and simply was offering to help with the idea, as for your apples and oranges argument i usually like to respond but they are both fruit, as with the apples and samsungs argument that i have seen floating around they are both phones :P

im sorry that i offended your team and will not attempt to create any ports of this kind for your maps for personal use in future...

Also not to be rude or anything but that was me giving 1 example of what could be done with a features list and i really felt like you guys took offence to it and ran with it, im not saying that is my intentions i was just saying it was a possiblility of what could be done if people knew what was and wasnt changed with vanilla area's and what and what isnt added into the mod itself, i personally have started playing around with some of my mod files and am actually wanting to (for personal use) combine a few together because of a few issues with compatibility that im sure if i spent long enough at i could fix (again for my own personal use) for example when i added RusMap i found that if the load order was even slightly out of order they wouldnt work but if i found a way to fix that (for myself) it would be handy if i needed to change around my load order in future.

also, for people who say it would be a big task for someone to do by themselves i do just about everything by myself and take pride in being able to do things solo that would normally take a team just like my wow server i scripted every single npc by myself while playing the retail version along side to make sure everything looked as it should, and all up it only took me about 16-18 months of non stop work every day and i did it purely for fun and to learn

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

29 Jan 2016 06:48

Proper usage of punctuation is also something you could do yourself, makes your posts a bit easier to read :P ;)

And if you really want to combine TSM and ProMods for your own personal use, that's fine. And you'll get my respect for that, it's quite a job to do.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

29 Jan 2016 07:25

You're quite right both apples and oranges are fruits and both enjoyable but good luck to create a new kind of fruit of the both, a daunting task

You feel like being attacked? Well welcome to Real Life (tm)

Your idea is impossiple you can't join the two maps but you can extend one map with a few parts of the other
With each new release you need to do it all over again
Imo it's a waste of precious time simply put
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

pwny1320

30 Jan 2016 04:06

http://mentalfloss.com/article/53101/11 ... vegetables

doesnt mean it cannot be done, and ask for you remark for welcome to real life you do know that a good majority of those in the real world wont jump together as a group to attack someone for having an idea and just put them down its a very rare few that infact do this and most of them end up no-where in real life or in jail depending on the severity of the attack.

As for Volleybal4life, i have never been good with my punctuation feel free to edit it to a more readable level

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

30 Jan 2016 06:43

Hi
If you want TSM Africa, you can get the Egypt as a Promods addon: http://promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10620
Just know that it can kind of get low quality at times (still has a few nice areas)
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information