Question about Swedish road markings

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Noah_Lukas

02 Oct 2017 16:30

Does that mean that the roads in Norway aren't that big? :o
Developer for Germany and France
Regional Coordinator for the Central Region

LegendMeadow
Donation rank:

02 Oct 2017 18:19

Noah_Lukas wrote:
02 Oct 2017 16:30
Does that mean that the roads in Norway aren't that big? :o
I guess main roads are fairly standard in size, our motorways have fairly wide lanes, but in the countryside the roads are at least too small for two trucks meeting.

Master_of_the_roads

02 Oct 2017 20:10

You're not the only ones, even in Slovenia, some countryside roads don't allow bigger vehicles to meet one another, hell, even some smaller vehicles, depending on the dimensions of the obstacle parked or stationed there by default. :mrgreen:

YNM

03 Oct 2017 08:01

Nectaria Coutayar wrote:
27 Sep 2017 15:32
A question about traffic laws. What do the small markings on the sides mean? Is it for bicycles or am I supposed to go over to that lane as slow traffic? Anyone who knows? This is from Trondheim to Sündsvall but it was already in Sweden iirc.
Similar markings, albeit longer and/or wider and with less extra pavement (or none), are used in the Netherlands and France. I don't think they serve any significant purpose. Maybe it's to justify that people can enter from the side or exit to the side at any point along the road, but it's not the main movement. I believe on even more "rural"/local roads they aren't marked such, or even there's no marking whatsoever.

Darkfizch
Donation rank:

03 Oct 2017 14:19

Just FYI: in the Netherlands those markings indicate the type of road and therefore the speed limit. Broken lines on the side and middle generally means 80 km/h.

Nathan_A_RF
Donation rank:

03 Oct 2017 15:24

I think we all understand what these types of markings mean. Back on topic now ;)
Grab the insecticide, I'm clearing bugs ~ Nathan_A_RF - Moderator, Beta Tester & Bug Fixer
Florence + The Machine / Fox Stevenson

Nectaria Coutayar
Donation rank:

03 Oct 2017 15:57

YNM wrote:
03 Oct 2017 08:01
Nectaria Coutayar wrote:
27 Sep 2017 15:32
A question about traffic laws. What do the small markings on the sides mean? Is it for bicycles or am I supposed to go over to that lane as slow traffic? Anyone who knows? This is from Trondheim to Sündsvall but it was already in Sweden iirc.
Similar markings, albeit longer and/or wider and with less extra pavement (or none), are used in the Netherlands and France. I don't think they serve any significant purpose. Maybe it's to justify that people can enter from the side or exit to the side at any point along the road, but it's not the main movement. I believe on even more "rural"/local roads they aren't marked such, or even there's no marking whatsoever.
In France it means it's the side reserved for bicycles, few people actually know that, however it is in our "Code de la Route" that handles all traffic rules.
lvl 209 - 912000km - Scania R730 - 61% map coverage

thekandian

04 Oct 2017 10:35

Basically, most of the new 2 + 1 roads in Sweden used to be such roads, but they still exist some places, such as long stretches of the E20 between Göteborg and Stockholm. I've driven that route two times. Once in winter, where everyone seemed happy that I pulled over to the right to let other cars pass without having to overtake in the oncomming lane. And a lot of drivers thanked me for doing it (some swedes drive surprisingly fast on countryroads). When I drove the same route this summer, people rarely moved over. And staying behind the same car for 20 min. Going slow is really anoying when there's space enough for them to move to the right, but there's too much traffic to safely overtake. So it seems like Swedes aren't really sure about what to do on such roads either. From what I've heard from my grandpa, who was a truckdriver occasionally going to Sweden before they had motorways and 2 +1 roads, they were meant for trucks and other slow moving traffic to move over so that faster drivers could pass. But today, when they're so rare in Sweden, people don't really know how to use this extra lane.

If you're interested, here's some old swedish traffic accident videos describing the topic. One about if you should move over or not, and one about how the extra lane can be used both for slow moving traffic and for emergencies

https://youtu.be/zlF9wz9Afbw?t=54s
https://youtu.be/_V2h-yC5F48?t=49s

CptCaribbean

04 Oct 2017 11:51

What happened here? Why this thread has only 2 pages? o.o
Junior Beta-Tester since 2.26

Translator of Spanish, Catalan, Euskera and Galician.

Nectaria Coutayar
Donation rank:

04 Oct 2017 12:58

It has been cut from the main thread.
lvl 209 - 912000km - Scania R730 - 61% map coverage

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information