Operating systems discussion

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
MandelSoft
Lead Developer

01 Feb 2015 11:02

Why arguing about Windows 7 and 8(.1) if one can install Ubuntu? My laptop, pre-installed with Windows 8, has Ubuntu installed and Windows 8 has been completely wiped out from it. I did not regret it for a second :lol: .

My PC still uses Windows 8, though (but with Classic Shell installed to supress the Metro interface).
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

01 Feb 2015 11:33

Come on guys why all the rants against Metro??
See it as a reinvent of the program manager in windows 3.1
You can group needed programs together in a tile and select a tile after which task you are doing
No more cluttering around with tons of icons
Excellent concept

Everything new is scary when windows 95 hit the streets we complained a lot about the UI
The start button was the center as we said why select Start to close the computer ...
Oh those were the days :D
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

01 Feb 2015 14:12

Metro may work for some people, it does not work for me. I frankly have the preference for the old UI.

The thing is that Windows forced a too large change too soon and too quickly. All versions from 95 up to 7 had an UI that worked more or less the same way. The Windows 8 Metro interface is completely different and people who encounter it for the first time don't know how to handle it correctly. Without a fall-back option built-in, I can see why people complain about it; there is no way in standard Windows 8 too fall back to the familiar Windows 7 interface rules. You need third party software to do that.

Also, the Metro interface works with a completely different logic than the rest of Windows 8. You actually have a Frankenstein-Windows, where one part of it works totally different than the other. And that's also something that's not nice. UI rules should be consistent.

Here's one little challenge for you; try to find the shutdown-switch in the Metro interface; it's quite well hidden...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

01 Feb 2015 14:22

New for windows 8 was the hidden panes on a right and left

Maybe not so new as you can move the statusbar around and hide it either right or left, same thing almost
Ok it's not so nice if you have a multi screen setup doesn't work well

For a desktop PC most modern have a shut down function built in, activate the start button for a few seconds and the OS will close gracefully

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

01 Feb 2015 15:20

jontsuba wrote:Well, using in 2015 a OS released in 2001 (albeit one of the greatest ever created) is like using 1987-released-Windows 2.0 back when XP appeared...
I use Windows XP and Office 2003, on my virtual computer. I also have Windows Vista and Office 2007.

plykkegaard wrote:Come on guys why all the rants against Metro??
See it as a reinvent of the program manager in windows 3.1
You can group needed programs together in a tile and select a tile after which task you are doing
No more cluttering around with tons of icons
Excellent concept
"Excellent concept": Correction: absolutely hideous. It's not that bad for me, but icons are much easier than tiles and not everyone who use a computer are 17 years old. Good luck teaching senior citizens how to use Windows 8... but with Windows 7, no problem. It's simple, clear and user friendly. With Windows 8, you have to spend more time on average to do basic tasks like opening a program or shutting down your PC, but qith Windows 7's Start Menu, it's a piece of cake, literally.

MandelSoft wrote:Metro may work for some people, it does not work for me. I frankly have the preference for the old UI.

The thing is that Windows forced a too large change too soon and too quickly. All versions from 95 up to 7 had an UI that worked more or less the same way. The Windows 8 Metro interface is completely different and people who encounter it for the first time don't know how to handle it correctly. Without a fall-back option built-in, I can see why people complain about it; there is no way in standard Windows 8 too fall back to the familiar Windows 7 interface rules. You need third party software to do that.

Also, the Metro interface works with a completely different logic than the rest of Windows 8. You actually have a Frankenstein-Windows, where one part of it works totally different than the other. And that's also something that's not nice. UI rules should be consistent.

Here's one little challenge for you; try to find the shutdown-switch in the Metro interface; it's quite well hidden...
Finalyy someone here with more sense than bricks on their Start Menu! Well said sir! +1 from me.
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

01 Feb 2015 16:08

tkk7406 wrote:"Excellent concept": Correction: absolutely hideous. It's not that bad for me, but icons are much easier than tiles and not everyone who use a computer are 17 years old.
Well I am 56 ;-)
As I said not bad but MS should've made Metro as an option, eg server 2012 is a bi easier to deal with

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

01 Feb 2015 16:39

plykkegaard wrote:MS should've made Metro as an option
I agree with you on that. It should've been an option if they were so desperate to add it. Not everyone likes it and I'm a clear example of that.
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

Asot6
Donation rank:

01 Feb 2015 17:36

I don't see why everybody hates Windows Vista. I play ETS2 on it and it runs fine.

LoaderSaints

01 Feb 2015 17:57

Well, Windows Vista is the buggiest Windows I've ever had. :lol:
I think the bugs are the reason people hate it for...

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

01 Feb 2015 18:06

Asot6 wrote:I don't see why everybody hates Windows Vista..
"Hate" is a strong word, but there's a reason why MS sold very few copies of this version and why you can't find Vista in only a few companies if any

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information