Iberian Peninsula Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
realdeal350
Developer

22 Aug 2016 22:42

Lugge-Trucker wrote:I am really sorry, if it might have been to harsh at some point and I definitely didn't want to offend anybody.
You were.

I'm very sorry that I have a life and I don't map in all of my free time.

You are definitely exaggerating in your post. Those bugs in Bilbao are not gamebreaking and the city is still perfectly playable. All of the other roads in Spain are also fine and we have put a lot of work into them to give you the best playing experience (however it is clear that you are unappreciative of our efforts).

About Barcelona, it has been stated many times that there are major performance problems and to avoid the city if you have a low spec pc. I know there are problems! I don't need 1000 people coming at me saying that they can't enjoy the city because it's too laggy! I know this! It just makes me feel worse about the mess I've created. I have also stated that it will be further optimized in future updates.
Spain developer
Canada developer
Regional Co-ordinator for the Roman region

Languages: English, italiano

BrunoAlexLUX

22 Aug 2016 22:44

After reading your whole comment (Lugge-Trucker), I have to say this:

1. Spain is better in TSM? It's just a few copied cities and unrealistic interchanges. I don't know how you can like such a thing as the northern part of TSM's Spain without mountains and no scenery and not to talk about TSM's Portugal with spanish signs and an unrealistic (again) border crossing of Vilar Formoso.

2. Talking about crowded places of the map and not only Spain has so many roads. Have you already observed (with attention) Belgium, Western Germany, Poland, Western Estonia or Denmark also these places are like Spain and is ok like that. For me, the more roads, the better it is. This people spent tons of their freetime, making a better job than SCS recreating places and roads with realistic signs and scenery. And yes it is a challenge to recreate real places in a scale of 1.19 in certain parts like Benelux. Also Greece is crowded in TSM.

This isn't also not to insult you, just my opinion after reading your comment.

astronomer
Donation rank:

22 Aug 2016 22:48

I agree with BrunoAlexLUX ;)

sven_engelen

22 Aug 2016 22:50

Can't you just stop being a selfish d**k and start appreciating the work of someone else? Thanks (i lose my patience on this one. Again if any moderator wants to delete this or ban me, i agree)
Last edited by sven_engelen on 22 Aug 2016 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

22 Aug 2016 22:52

Lugge-Trucker wrote:In the last days, I've been driving along all the parts in Spain and - yes - I am also kinda disappointed about ProMods Spain. I first arrived in a 1 fps-Barcelona (I know, I only have a low-spec laptop, so I won't get 30 or even 60 fps in ETS, but it is still playable everywhere else). Why do there also need to be parking areas with thousands of parked cars?
Trust me, it used to be much, MUCH worse. I've been working hard to optimise the city a lot and it was frustrating me to a point where I flipped the proverbial table. For some reason, my common optimisation strategies just fail. Here's what I've done in the city so far:
  • Lower the drawing distance on detail objects.
  • Replaced high-poly models with low-poly models in the distance.
  • Removed a lot of detail objects
  • Closed off a lot of roads so I can remove objects and add more strategic, large cut planes that hide large portions of the landscape (this is what gave the biggest gain in fps). Barcelona used to have a lot more accessible roads... and a city-wide fps of 30 or lower on my system, with one area even getting below 10 (it's now 40-45 for most of the city, with 20 as a minimum)
  • Re-done all the cut-planes.
But all of that work, MANY hours of work, still couldn't solve the performance issues in Barcelona. I was out of options, out of ideas and out of motivation.
Lugge-Trucker wrote:I am definitely not reporting all those issues, I have better things to do in the next weeks. Maybe, there's someone else, who is bored enough to report all those issues. You just should overhaul the whole city once again. I know, it is not finished, it is also visible all about the city. That's why I am really wondering why do you even release such a early WIP city?
There is one reason why it's there. We pushed Ivan to finish this city, otherwise he wouldn't have any content in this release. Ivan's mapping pace is a bit questionable. He works everywhere, starts a lot of projects, but to my frustration, leaves them half-finished. Bilbao is one of these cities that could've been completed months ago, but Ivan still went on spreading out everywhere leaving a lot of loose ends and unfinished areas. If you build like that, you never going to finish it. This is totally the opposite how I mapped during the last release cycle: map to finish things, finish projects from what others started (e.g. Brussels, Umeå, Örnsköldsvik, Vaasa and even small parts of Norway in the Barents Sea Project). The result that Bilbao is kinda rushed, while it could've been finished at an easy pace. And this is getting a bit frustating...
Lugge-Trucker wrote:I am also wondering why do we need thousands of roads on one little piece of the map and hundreds of different ways to reach any point in ProMods Spain? Nowhere else can be found this density of roads and everywhere else this is definitely sufficient, even in the Netherlands, Belgium or Germany. So, why do we need it in ProMods Spain?
Different mappers, different mapping styles. That's what you are seeing here...
Lugge-Trucker wrote:To be honest, it simply looks like a challenge of some young kids who can create more in a smaller area, as if they were following the motto: "Higher, faster, further" and as if they had lost the focus on the essential, which is creating a nice and realistic map in a 1:19 scale in a computer GAME! Yes, it's a game, not a challenge, who can do more with the map editor. Thus the long time of creation and the little result. That's just how it appears to be to me.
Barcelona took way too long, that's what realdeal admits. The other part of the slow pace in Spain is caused by Ivan's rather unfocussed mapping...
Lugge-Trucker wrote:I really have to say you have definitely shot yourself in the foot with releasing Spain in ProMods at all. Sure, as I said before, the detail in Spain is great just as everywhere else in ProMods, but what is the good of it when it's not playable because of bugs and hardly any fps???
Do you have ANY idea how much the community pushes us to do this area? Have you ever need to cope with community pressure? Barcelona was in development for over a year and it was a big dilemma for us: release Barcelona with performance issues, or don't release it and give the community a huge disappointment? Think about it. It was a really tough choice for us to make.

The whole Iberian Peninsula is so far a two-sided medal. It looks great, but it's expanding slowly and the performance ain't all to great. And this can cause some big dilemmas and frustrations that I don't wish anyone to experience...

Also don't forget that both Ivan and Realdeal have school work to do besides of mapping. That slows down their pace too.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

IvanGF14
Developer

22 Aug 2016 22:58

Rain bugs :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: The world is going to explode :o
C'mon! I said the city is unfinished, RealDeal said lots of times that Barcelona must be avoided if you have a bad PC. And you come here complaining about it? Really, i sometimes dont know what to think or to say... Just take a look at this. When i started on Promods a year ago, i only had like 650hours. Look now, just one year later:
Driving hours from those can be like 50, 60, not more.
So we have like 1800 hours of mapping. Just think for a minute please

MistahDave
Donation rank:

23 Aug 2016 08:24

The Iberian Penisula is not bad. Everyone who has been around for as long as I have should know that this project wasn't going to come quickly. Spain has always been a "troubled area" of promods. It was hampered by the fact it had to wait untill large portions of France were complete to connect properly and the border regions of Spain aren't easy to map either. It's not like flat lands of empty fields, they're complicated mountains at play here. Yes, Promods is expanding quicker to the North and the East quicker than the South and the West but so what?! At least we have huge areas to drive in.

My only gripe was the FPS issues, but that's known. I'm having an internal battle with myself because I think 32bit runs quicker than 64bit on my system yet that feels so wrong to me to say.

Starfruit 017

23 Aug 2016 08:37

IvanGF14 wrote: Image
Driving hours from those can be like 50, 60, not more.
So we have like 1800 hours of mapping. Just think for a minute please
I'd dread to think of Mandel's time :o

Seriously Promods does their absolute best and there is no need for this. Just be happy that you get hundreds of new roads and
cities (93 new cities in fact) to travel on. They do it for free remember?
Last edited by Volleybal4life on 23 Aug 2016 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added fact
Join my forum : My Forum!

View my Projects: My Map Work

Peterson

23 Aug 2016 10:38

But feel free to donate a pound or two...
Peterson logistics - We think, you pay, it's that simple.

ImageImage
My WoT profile.

VojtěchPísecký

23 Aug 2016 11:23

Peterson wrote:But feel free to donate a pound or two...
well that wasnt really needed huh?

Ive driven almost all new roads in Spain and i must tell that you guys really catched the feelings and you now what ? I dont care if the spain will be ever full done. Id rather have only half covered spain with ProMods qualitty than TSM style with lack of realism and detail. You are guys creating art and only thing i think should be improveded is FPS ratio in some places...but hey maybe its time for invest some money in better computer when all this is for free ;) think about it guys

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information