Development on version 1.x (Slovenia edition)

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
grega

12 Jan 2015 22:00

Kenahi wrote:
plykkegaard wrote:Artistic freedom
You may be right, but on the other hand I'm not quite sure if rocks are good choice. Why? Because rocks are very characteristic part of landscape, they create the feel that you are in Norway or Sweden (they are common there). It is a little bit annoying for me, because I have in my mind first roads in Poland (before in DLC) from SCS. Rocks were everywhere. Yes, they looked nice, and yes, it was artistic freedom, but it was too unnatural. As far as I remember rocks were in Berlin as well - there is totally different landscape in real life. This screen with rocks reminds me Poland before DLC ;)
Luckily Slovenia is mountain country, but my advise is to watch out with landscape, because those small details can create feeling that you are in totally different area.
I know, I overreacting a little bit, but Promods is famous for it's fantastic feeling of visited countries and I hope that Slovenia will have something that you could say during the drive: "Yeah, I can easily see that I am not in Italy/Austria anymore, it's definitely Slovenia".
Keep up with your good work :)
Finaly someone who has the same opinion like :D Bracia Polskie :D
Follow our Project Balkans news on FB page https://www.facebook.com/ets2balkans
Check my brand new serie on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji5FdxHhEIA&t=584s

jdenm8
Graphics Designer

13 Jan 2015 00:42

One of the things I've found while messing around in the editor is that ETS2 really sucks at doing convincing terrain. Because the terrain is (most of the time) tied to the edge of the road, tight corners and sharp joins between natural roads and prefabs, especially when the elevation or terrain profile changes within that prefab, look very unconvincing. The terrain bunches up and folds over itself like a tablecloth

But you know what looks much more convincing? A grass-covered rock. They also help to break up uninteresting vacant land, like there in Maribor.
Curry?! My manual doesn't have any data on curry... What's the meaning of this...?!

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

13 Jan 2015 10:59

Exactly. The way terrain behaves in ETS2 is often a pain in the ***.

Using that kind of rocks makes it easier to fill up gaps etc but I would suggest in this case to make the model alot flatter (I use that often, very flat "rocks")

They don't look like a "rock mountain" but they do show some different ground textures which is very natural.

Artistic Freedom is also often just practical mapping. Alot is very limited in ETS2 sadly.
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

13 Jan 2015 11:09

jdenm8 wrote: (...) doing convincing terrain
Don't extend terrain from road if you have sharp corners
Use node terrain instead and have the end of the terrain "blades" closest towards the road and the node points furthest away from the road
Also experiment with flattening the terrain (can't recall the name in the terrain property window) as with the rocks
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

13 Jan 2015 11:14

Noise power to 0% is what you are talking about I think or you are talking about the plain terrain :p
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

13 Jan 2015 11:23

Not the noise power (makes terrain "wobble" a little)
You can scale the terrain model applied either stronger or weaker
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

jdenm8
Graphics Designer

13 Jan 2015 12:02

The Coefficient. Basically how amplified the terrain profile is.

I have thought of extending the terrain towards the road, but I'm not invested enough to bother with it (from what I've seen, SCS wasn't either :P ). I'm just playing around with the editor. So far my assumption of 'Like the Trainz editor but it hates you' is somewhat accurate.
Curry?! My manual doesn't have any data on curry... What's the meaning of this...?!

Kenahi

13 Jan 2015 15:58

volan123 wrote:Kenahi, if you didn't know, we have our own project of Slovenia that we started back in August. We aim to make Slovenia as realistic as possible (we're only working on Southern Slovenia right because that's where Promods wasn't workin'). You can find our topic in off-topic section of the forum ;)
Thank you, I try to read that topic everyday. I just don't comment too often ;) I'm curious how big will be difference between Promods' northern and your southern part ;)
grega wrote: Finaly someone who has the same opinion like :D Bracia Polskie :D
Haha, you made my day :D

RacerToft
Donation rank:

13 Jan 2015 19:35

More details in Maribor :)

ATS Map Designer, SCS Software

From Denmark, living in the Czech Republic!
Keep calm and ride the dirt!
"Kan man gå overhovedet i sådan nogle?" -Jørgen Leth

volan123
Donation rank:

13 Jan 2015 19:37

Maribor looks much much better now! Keep it up mate! :D
Founder of Project Balkans (formerly known as Slovenia map project)

Our thread
My Youtube channel
Facebook page
For more info, please PM me!

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information