1.6 feedback

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
adrian007
Donation rank:

27 Mar 2014 12:05

Sorry for double posting should have mentioned before , .
I started a delivery from Portsmouth and was glad to see that indeed you had put the Spinnaker Tower in, all I can say is thank you for listening :D
At the risk of really pushing my luck here what's the odds of getting HMS Victory put in there somewhere on the dockside :?:
Regards
Adrian 8-)

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

27 Mar 2014 12:49

M4rkus wrote: ¹) I think this is something you should do more. Why not releasing expansion packs (Scandinavia, France, Euromir) plus a complete pack for convenience instead of only a complete pack? It would give people the feeling of having more choice.
You may think that would be nice, but it would be very hard to work out for us modders. There are three main problems with this approach:
- Overlap in DEF files between different proposed "packs". For instance, the ferry DEFs can overlap, possibly causing unexpected behaviour (like broken ferry links).
- Overlap in map sectors. For instance, Tallinn overlaps with Helsinki, France sectors will overlap with Italy and Spain addons. How to handle this?
- Maintainability of the packs. Splitting up the packages even further make the mod harder to maintain and up-to-date. With the conflicts stated in the points above, this problem increases even further.
- There are also map improvements that fall in none of the expansion pack sectors, but in the UK sectors, for instance, reworked interchanges in Rotterdam, Dover and London. Also, all kinds of replacements have been scattered around the SCS sector maps you might not even have noticed consciously. For instance, In Austria and Switzerland, all streetlights have been replaced and signage in France, Austria and Germany is gradually improving to indicate the correct lane setups. By splitting up the map into pieces, this becomes hard to distribute and maintain.

So I'm having quite some serious doubts about the feasibility of this proposal and I think it will not see the light of day...

Best,
Maarten
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

M4rkus

27 Mar 2014 13:11

Thank you for your answer – good reasons always help to understand decisions (it's the same as with the ferries).

Still, I still do not get, why the new skins (Lidl, Aldi etc.) are mandatory to ProMods. After all, I think that people download ProMods as they expect a map mod and not so much replaced models. I do not get the real advantage to have it as one pack instead of having two in that case. I've read that this was a democratic decision as "most people voted for it". I think that's not perfectly right, though. In the topic for the models, the question was for which map the models should be preferably made compatible with, the question was not if this should be a mandatory addition to ProMods. And most people voted for ProMods, because as they liked this map mod most, they wanted the models to be compatible with. But they didn't say, it should be mandatory, did they?

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

27 Mar 2014 18:06

@M4rkus - Lidl, Aldi, etc. are not just "new skins." They are completely new prefabs with vastly different delivery points...

I just delivered my first load to a Lidl, and I'll tell you right now that was the single most challenging delivery I've ever made! It's bloody HARD to back your load down a very narrow ramp to the receiving dock, especially since it cannot be done with a single move with all of the parked cars you have to avoid damaging!

Quite honestly, continuing to harp on this subject is pointless. They have done what they've done for free, and I'm damned glad for it. :lol:

The "Transinet" trailer is at the dock, I'm parked next to the truck with the car carrier, recovering from my hard work before moving on to my next job. :ugeek:
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

27 Mar 2014 19:17

Alright let's comment on a couple of points raised here:
¹) I think this is something you should do more. Why not releasing expansion packs (Scandinavia, France, Euromir) plus a complete pack for convenience instead of only a complete pack? It would give people the feeling of having more choice.
Mandelsoft forgot to add this:
  • Once users can use different packs it's hard for us to keep track of what users are actually using. For most of them it's already hard enough to post a game.log.txt/game version/promods version etc. It will be a complete nightmare chasing down bugs.
Another thing I want to comment on:
In the topic for the models, the question was for which map the models should be preferably made compatible with, the question was not if this should be a mandatory addition to ProMods. And most people voted for ProMods, because as they liked this map mod most, they wanted the models to be compatible with. But they didn't say, it should be mandatory, did they?
The jargon might be a bit mixed up there. Models are ofc compatible and having it in ProMods would mean making it mandatory... there is no other option between those.

Seeing the great enthusiasm for this pack we decided to add it for a couple of reasons:
  • It's just kaarfor/sellplan. I mean is it that important to have it in the map?? lol. It also serves the same company nodes. So just one company in, just like the old ones.
  • Alot of people have been nagging about new warehouses with a challenge to park... well here you go!
  • ProMods is more than just some roads in France and Scandinavia. We are trying to improve Europe as much as possible. We have been doing several rebuilds all around the world. Some are barely noticed like new signs, improved lamps etc. This is I guess one of the features that strikes more attention lol.
And Bill Leaming just had the exact response I would expect from most users. This new dock was a really challenge for me. I would say get practicing there because ATS is full of these challenges ;)
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

M4rkus

27 Mar 2014 19:35

Is it possible to skip parking as with normal docks? (I'm hardly able to park a real car.) But it does look cool, I see.

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

27 Mar 2014 19:42

Of course the automatic parking will always be available. It's like an automated feature in the game.

M4rkus

27 Mar 2014 19:56

Parking there should generate more experience points :lol:

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

27 Mar 2014 20:07

haha another thing that is generated automatically (or better globally since it's a value set for every parking)

Laash1

27 Mar 2014 22:56

so does promods 1.6 work with ets2 update 1.9.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information