Operating systems discussion

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
ScuL
Founder

01 Feb 2015 18:59

To me it's all about options, Microsoft is very bad in giving users the choice how to operate the software:

1) Do you want a start menu or the metro interface? -> this should be an option
2) Do you want the interface to look like Metro UI (Win8), Aero Glass (Win7/Vista), XP or even oldschool 95/98 ? -> this should be an option

The problem with Windows 8 is that it forces you down a certain path and that is absolutely disgusting from a user's perspective
I will never ever use Windows 8 for this reason, and yes there are 3rd party apps that can make it look like the old stuff, but in my opinion this was Microsoft's job and not up to a 3rd party.

I will use Windows 10 if it provides this flexibility, if not I will just stick to Windows 7 as that's the interface I love working with.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

01 Feb 2015 19:12

In windows 8.1 you have a choice between Metro or the traditional Windows 7 start menu
The GUI can be themed to look like XP, Vista Aero or whatever you prefer

Eg an XP theme to install on windows 8.1
http://winxp4life.deviantart.com/art/Wi ... -424545703
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

01 Feb 2015 19:53

Asot6 wrote:I don't see why everybody hates Windows Vista.
I don't think it's that bad. Much better than Windows 8, that's for sure

ScuL wrote:To me it's all about options, Microsoft is very bad in giving users the choice how to operate the software:

1) Do you want a start menu or the metro interface? -> this should be an option
2) Do you want the interface to look like Metro UI (Win8), Aero Glass (Win7/Vista), XP or even oldschool 95/98 ? -> this should be an option

The problem with Windows 8 is that it forces you down a certain path and that is absolutely disgusting from a user's perspective
I will never ever use Windows 8 for this reason, and yes there are 3rd party apps that can make it look like the old stuff, but in my opinion this was Microsoft's job and not up to a 3rd party.

I will use Windows 10 if it provides this flexibility, if not I will just stick to Windows 7 as that's the interface I love working with.
Agreed. As I said to plykkegaard, there should be options for the Start Menu, the nonsense that comes up every time you move your mouse and so on. This concept that Windows 8 offers is, as you said, disgusting.

plykkegaard wrote:In windows 8.1 you have a choice between Metro or the traditional Windows 7 start menu
The GUI can be themed to look like XP, Vista Aero or whatever you prefer
Yeah but for what I know that was done by a third party, not Microsoft. Microsoft thought that the Windows 8 interface would be to most people's taste and that it would be refreshing. As it turns out, it's the complete opposite. That's why other people have made these changes.
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

volan123
Donation rank:

01 Feb 2015 20:15

In Windows 10 you'll have a chance to choose between Start menu and Start screen, however on standard PCs and laptops it will default to Start menu ;)
Founder of Project Balkans (formerly known as Slovenia map project)

Our thread
My Youtube channel
Facebook page
For more info, please PM me!

n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

01 Feb 2015 20:24

MandelSoft wrote:Why arguing about Windows 7 and 8(.1) if one can install Ubuntu?
Yes, one can install Ubuntu, but will not be able to run most of the powerful development programs required by actual professionals...

...just saying. :lol:
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

01 Feb 2015 20:44

tkk7406 wrote:
plykkegaard wrote:In windows 8.1 you have a choice between Metro or the traditional Windows 7 start menu
Yeah but for what I know that was done by a third party, not Microsoft.
Windows 8.1 is with the start menu as an option, that was on of the main reason MS came with the update
What's new in Windows 8.1 Update wrote:Go to the desktop when you sign in, instead of Start. If you spend more time in the desktop, you can sign in (boot) directly to the desktop instead of the Start screen. And if you want to sign in to Start instead, you can change this setting at any time. For more info, see Desktop.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/whats-new

Rocar 512E

01 Feb 2015 21:11

For me i would like to be an app atha 100% looks like Windows XP

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

02 Feb 2015 15:16

plykkegaard wrote:
tkk7406 wrote:
Yeah but for what I know that was done by a third party, not Microsoft.
Windows 8.1 is with the start menu as an option, that was on of the main reason MS came with the update
Windows 8 didn't though and both Windows 8 and 8.1 aren't as easy to use as all the other operating systems.
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

ScuL
Founder

06 Feb 2015 12:16

plykkegaard wrote: Windows 8.1 is with the start menu as an option, that was on of the main reason MS came with the update
Yep it was good to see them coming back crawling with something they should have never removed, however the Windows 8.1 start menu still has annoying metro tiles in it and isn't as practical as the traditional one.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

06 Feb 2015 12:25

I have mainly messed around with 2012 server, there's a lot of other things apart from the start menu which has changed and gives a far greater impact on your daly work routines

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information