Official languages in schools as well as government

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
martinusK

20 Feb 2015 14:09

Estonian schools: you learn Estonian, then in 3rd grade you get A-võõrkeel - A-foreign language. It is always English. Then in 6th is B-võõrkeel - Russian or German (only three schools in Tallinn offer selection :? ). And C-võõrkeel comes somewhere in 9th or 10th grade, the selection is usually French, Spanish, German.
ProMods developer for Estonia Image
Currently working on another bit of Estonia, you'll see it in the Euromir thread soon enough

ZelvaCZ

20 Feb 2015 14:44

Martinus Kundla wrote:Estonian schools: you learn Estonian, then in 3rd grade you get A-võõrkeel - A-foreign language. It is always English. Then in 6th is B-võõrkeel - Russian or German (only three schools in Tallinn offer selection :? ). And C-võõrkeel comes somewhere in 9th or 10th grade, the selection is usually French, Spanish, German.
The same is here in Czech Republic, but in 6th grade we usually select from French/German/Russian. The third language is voluntary in our school, you can choose between more lessons of language you already learn, or third new language.

thestuguy

20 Feb 2015 15:16

For Malaysia although the official Language is Malay(Bahasa Malaysia) we still able to learn Chinese and Tamil in separate schools supported by their government. English and Malay language is the basic languages ,it depends on which school you go to to learn the extra language.

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

20 Feb 2015 15:43

I wonder what they do in like Lichtenstein or Luxembourg.
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

Jan Verschueren
Donation rank:

20 Feb 2015 15:52

tkk7406 wrote:I wonder what they do in like Lichtenstein or Luxembourg.
In Luxemburg the official languages are French and Letzebourgish <sp?>, most inhabitants know German as a 3rd language. Dunno about Liechtenstein, French and German, I presume.
"You know you've played too much ETS2 when..." :lol: :P

"Bad cop" forum moderator, if required.

M4rkus

20 Feb 2015 16:36

I wonder why so many schools in other countries seem to offer German. I have not expected this, especially not in central/eastern part of Europe. Having attended a German "Gymnasium" myself (not the gym, that's what we call our high schools), I had the choice between Latin and French as 2nd foreign language. The languages that might be chosen differ depending on what the school offers. However, in most cases, English is the 1st foreign language and it's typical to have French as 2nd language option. I went for Latin – so English is the only foreign language that I am able to write and speak more or less reasonably. At Latin I can't say really a lot, just stuff like in hortuum venio or canis prudens est :|

ScuL
Founder

20 Feb 2015 16:52

In The Netherlands, most elementary schools give support classes for basic English knowledge between ages 10~12 (sometimes even earlier depending on the school).

As soon as you move on to highschool (age 12) you get Dutch+English, and in the second year they add German+French.
You typically study all 4 languages for 2 or 3 years depending on the school program and then you can make your own pick.
Some students go for Dutch+English+German, others prefer Dutch+English+French, or others pick Dutch+English. There are occasionally also possibilities to add either Spanish, Greek, Latin or Turkish.

I've done all four languages until I was 15 and then taught myself Swedish which brings me to five. :)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

20 Feb 2015 17:25

Well I've explained to you the situation here, but I forgot to tell you how primary school was in Australia. In my school, we learnt English and Japanese as a 2nd language from the age of 5. That was due to the fact that more than 40% of the students there were from Japan. In fact, generally that neighborhood (Northbridge, Sydney) had many Japanese people living there.
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

Roro44
Donation rank:

20 Feb 2015 18:08

The french is the only official languages in France :D

in France, English is compulsory up to age 18 and a second language (Spanish or German) between 13 years and 18 years for most students.
Then students continue to learn language or no according to their studies
But in the region where I live (north-west), we can learn language Brittany from 5/6 years to 15 years olds with history Taught in brittany!
I think it's the same in south west of France with Catalan language or in north east with german and also in corsican, maybe .......
Worlds of trucks

Beta-Testeur since 2.17

Promods user since 1.52

ETS2-User
Developer

20 Feb 2015 18:21

Liechtenstein's official laguage is only german ;)
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information