Inclusion of conflicted areas

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
MandelSoft
Lead Developer

27 Aug 2015 09:28

JESAN wrote:And Kosovo is now considered as an independent state.
Depends on who you ask. And that is the whole crux of the problem...

The thing is that most users here see this issue mostly from their own perspective and point of view. However, we as developers need to see this issue from everyone's point of view, even when we personally don't agree with those points. So for you it may not matter, but for someone else it may be a "big deal" when some "foreigner" has "ruined" their country's representation by drawing borders where they think they should not be (e.g. the Serbian-Kosovo border from the perspective of the Serbs).

The main criterion to determine if a country is a conflicted area is based upon one question:

"Does the international community unanimously recognise this area?"

For instance, Catalonia, the Basque Country and Scotland may have a strong will for independence, but no country recognises them as independent countries.
This is different with Kosovo (where only half of the world's countries has recognised it), Transnitia (where only Russia recognises it) and Eastern Ukraine (where the borders of the country are disputed within the international community). Therefore, we rule these countries out, simply because it's too risky from a marketing perspective.

But even then there are still large areas waiting to be built or reconstructed by ProMods: the Balkans, Greece, the Iberian Peninsula, the rest of Italy, Central-Germany, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Northern Scandinavia; I think we are not out of a job yet, because there is still a lot to do ;)
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

ScuL
Founder

27 Aug 2015 09:41

I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Barrett_killz

27 Aug 2015 10:01

MandelSoft wrote:Transnitia (where only Russia recognises it)
Wrong, Transnistria isn't recognized by any country, except some unrecognized countries just like itself (Abkhazia, South Ossetia, etc.).
Makes me think that you guys believe that truckers get arrested as being spies while delivering goods in/through those areas.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

27 Aug 2015 10:33

Where did you get that idea from? :|

It is the fact that people are bound to get sensitive about these areas. That's what we are trying to tell you all the time.
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

Rocar 512E

27 Aug 2015 12:00

I myself, i think all countreis are independent, even micronations (such as sealand or liberland). So therefore i think that they shouldn't be avoided, because, imagine if someone needs to deliver appels to let's say, Crimeea. How will someone ge there? Go to the nearest town on the disputed border? So to not include a disputed area means lack of realism. And Promods doesn't want that.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

27 Aug 2015 12:08

Michael Rosen wrote:I myself, i think all countreis are independent, even micronations (such as sealand or liberland).
Again, that is your personal point of view. But may I quote myself on this?
MandelSoft wrote:However, we as developers need to see this issue from everyone's point of view, even when we personally don't agree with those points. So for you it may not matter, but for someone else it may be a "big deal" when some "foreigner" has "ruined" their country's representation by drawing borders where they think they should not be (e.g. the Serbian-Kosovo border from the perspective of the Serbs).
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

M4rkus

27 Aug 2015 12:58

I think that's quite an interesting topic, even though not very relevant for Promods map progress at the moment. I think, that from most player's perspective, there are quite some other areas (Spain and also Greece) more interesting than the disputed ones which are thus not too difficult to avoid, probably. And I think, that's the thing that should be done at first. Routes to the Southern Balkans do not necessarily lead through Kosovo so that's not very difficult.

If these areas really should be made at some point, I think it's best to depict them as they are, i. e. borders if they're borders in reality, etc. Another question, of course, is if these areas should be marked in map view. It might be the easiest thing to mark the disputed borders as dashed lines, as this is probably the best thing to depict reality. Or, another option (perhaps a silly one), is to let the players choose which map background they want to have. From what I understand, this can be controlled by the def files? By the way, the Kosovo string was translated differently. Most translators used "Kosovo" but the Serbian/Cyrillic translator translated with the name of the Serbian province that Kosovo is regarded as by the Serbian government.

International recognition of Kosovo is quite interesting, though. Most EU states recognize it but e. g. Spain does not. As far as I know, this is because of Spain's own independency movements that are most evident in Catalonia and the Basque country.

Tchernobyl is another thing. This would be somehow interesting from the player's perspective, however, I can for sure understand when people don't want it to be in-game, because it might be stuff too serious for a trucking game.

Rocar 512E

27 Aug 2015 13:14

Of course you need evreyone's POV.

orestescm76
Donation rank:

27 Aug 2015 13:20

i would add chernobyl like this: a hidden road, and that road must be hard to drive

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

27 Aug 2015 13:43

M4rkus wrote:I think that's quite an interesting topic, even though not very relevant for Promods map progress at the moment. I think, that from most player's perspective, there are quite some other areas (Spain and also Greece) more interesting than the disputed ones which are thus not too difficult to avoid, probably. And I think, that's the thing that should be done at first. Routes to the Southern Balkans do not necessarily lead through Kosovo so that's not very difficult.
Yup, and that's why we can avoid most of these areas easily; there are too many other places we can still make that are not being disputed. It's not like we can't make half of Europe because of this ;)
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information