Development on version 2.x (Trailer and Company Pack)

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
MyFaceBeHi
Donation rank:

16 May 2015 22:34

Quick question but why didn't you pick Stokes to be Eddie Stobbard? I mean, in UKTS the Stokes logo was in the same font and colour as Eddie Stobbard and I think it was unique to the UK update in ETS1 yet I'm surprised you picked Trameri to be ES, especially as I haven't seen a Stobbard depot in the UK that is situated in the goods yard of a factory!

Again, just my opinion.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197993717807]Image[/url]

Jon uk
Donation rank:

17 May 2015 08:28

Having read the majority of posts on this thread I have to say that UK Daf fan has the patience of a saint. So, I have noticed that missing in all of the ideas and suggestions so far is "Containers". The majority of truck traffic around at the moment is moving containers. So what I would like to see at the ports are container terminals. Pick up an empty skeleton trailer, drive to a highlighted area at a port and collect a container and the on to a warehouse/distribution centre. The containers can be liveried, there are many hundreds of names i.e. China shipping and before anyone says they are not European I drive a truck and they are all over europe, so,,,,,,for realism ???

Just my thoughts.

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

17 May 2015 08:50

You are not allowed to enter the docks on a busy container terminal due to safety reasons
Container is taken by a straddle carrier at a picking point and moved away

You have a container terminal in the Oslo area and a couple of other places (Scandinavia DLC)
The one Oslo is a bit small
3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

LoaderSaints

17 May 2015 09:08

MyFaceBeHi wrote:Quick question but why didn't you pick Stokes to be Eddie Stobbard? I mean, in UKTS the Stokes logo was in the same font and colour as Eddie Stobbard and I think it was unique to the UK update in ETS1 yet I'm surprised you picked Trameri to be ES, especially as I haven't seen a Stobbard depot in the UK that is situated in the goods yard of a factory!
That can be changed if we make Stobart into a custom company instead. The reason why Trameri was made into Stobart is the style of the sign on the building itself. We had to choose either to have DHL or Stobart as Trameri but DHL would have looked too odd.
Jon uk wrote:So, I have noticed that missing in all of the ideas and suggestions so far is "Containers". The majority of truck traffic around at the moment is moving containers. - - The containers can be liveried, there are many hundreds of names i.e. China shipping and before anyone says they are not European I drive a truck and they are all over europe, so,,,,,,for realism ???
We were thinking of adding more containers into our pack already but the thing is we haven't found an easy way to skin multiple different ones using the same base yet.
zebenji wrote: Europe is so diverse that it's extremely hard to find a company which would have sites all accross the continent. As a consequence, most industries don't have one leading company, but several.
True, that is why I've been thinking of doing this:
LoaderSaints wrote: We are planning to add "localized" companies as well if we manage to do that. Basically these companies would be re-skins of the default companies but with their own definitions. No custom models needed. Then it would be up to the ProMods mappers to implement these companies into the game world. And because of this, those companies should have to be part of the ProMods map package. So basically that all depends on two things; are the mappers willing to cooperate with us on that matter and are we able to make the companies (I guess if someone just shows us how it is done then we can do it). ;)
Also I have to add that the decisions we've made are based on our limited knowledge of European companies. Basically the ones who have chosen the companies together are uk_daf_fan, Stummer and me (LoaderSaints). The countries we live in affect our decisions as a company that is present in Finland might not be present in Germany at all or vice versa for instance. So the reason for the high number of German companies is probably that those companies are also present here in Finland and also in the UK and that makes us think that they are widespread. Personally I've never even heard of companies like Novartis, Sanofi or Solvay even though they apparently are huge companies in Europe.
jdenm8 wrote:Looking at it, Lafarge isn't a good replacement for Sanbuilders either. They make Concrete and particulates, they aren't in construction. That's reinforced with their pending merger with Holcim, another Cement company. Maybe the new Scandinavian quarry would fit them.

Maybe one of the ACS subsidiaries or their competitors would be a better replacement for Sanbuilders?
After looking at Lafarge's website again I can say that it is kinda suitable as they do actually build foundations. They also provide some sort of planning services (sorry can't find the right words). We might have to rethink this one though.

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

17 May 2015 09:47

I haven't heard of most of these companies either, however it's incredibly hard to find companies that cater for the whole of Europe. It would make it a lot easier if we could split the company definitions up to duplicates of each other but with different logos and names. This is what we aim to do when the time is not so short. There will also be container skins in our pack and other types of trailers, however these are on hold at the moment for unknown reasons.

natvander
Donation rank:

17 May 2015 14:08

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but would DB be suitable? They even operate down here.

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

17 May 2015 14:34

Personally, I think DB Schenker is quite common with other realistic companies' mods.
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

Herdox

17 May 2015 16:38

DB Schenker and DHL operate whole Europe.

volan123
Donation rank:

17 May 2015 16:46

I second that. :D
Founder of Project Balkans (formerly known as Slovenia map project)

Our thread
My Youtube channel
Facebook page
For more info, please PM me!

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

17 May 2015 17:14

zebenji wrote: Well, that's not necessarily the case. Europe is so diverse that it's extremely hard to find a company which would have sites all accross the continent. As a consequence, most industries don't have one leading company, but several.

<...>

To sum it up, I really appreciate the job you're making. However, finding a perfect fit for each default company is an impossible task because no company "owns" Europe. There's still a possibility to add a little diversity, and that's why I'm happy to find a French and a British company. But remember that Promods is spreading South (Spain, Italy) and East (Romania, Baltic States, etc.), where the majority of the companies you create just don't exist. The best solution would be to find a way to create custom companies. In fact, some people in Promods already know how to do this, because he have a lot of these already, like the Iglo companies in Iceland. I guess the trick is to create a duplicate prefab with links to alternate company logos, but it'll be easier to ask someone who created one of these companies. Once you know how it works, it'll be easy to create custom companies and 1. make everyone happy, and 2. have "local" companies in different countries.

<...>

Sorry for this really long message. I just wanted to say that your idea is brilliant, but if we manage to find a way to create local companies, you'll have, without any doubt, one of the best mods ETS2 will have. :)
I agree with pretty much every word in your 'really long message' ;)

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information