FF2: Filling in the Suburbs

Post your own screenshots & videos of our mods here
krigl

02 Nov 2023 17:12

Trondheim southwards to Oppdal in this set.

We're off to get a repaint.

The tune-up shop/DAF seller in Trondheim, with the HQ conveniently opposite.

Looking at a passing train while the new coat of paint dries out.

Bought the garage and spent the night there.

Time to get the cargo.

Halloween vibe as the sun rises. The cargo is for Dombas, can't remember what was inside.

Let's get going then. There's more to Trondheim, but we'll check it out when we return from our trip down south.

Orkanger and Alesund are that way. We'll return to Trondheim from there. Right now we need to go south towards Oslo.

Back in the countryside.

Looks like we're on the right track so far. Wouldn't want to get lost...

The scenery is fantastic all the way to Lillehammer. Probably further, but haven't got there yet.

Agricultural jobsite.

And here's Oppdal. We left early, so we'll try and find a place to get some breakfast.

Parked here and wandered into the hotel.

Their scrambled eggs and smoked salmon was delicious. Ready to take on the rest of the day.

Goodbye Oppdal - next stop Dombas.
Anni

krigl

03 Nov 2023 10:13

Continuing our journey along the beautiful route from Trondheim to Oslo in PM central Norway. This time: Oppdal via Dombas to Otta.

Leaving Oppdal.

It's nice to take your time and enjoy the stunning scenery, but this is ridiculous.

A stretch of farmland.

And we've reached Dombas.

A view over the town. We've got a delivery to make here.

We'll return to Dombas in order to take the route to Alesund in a few sets' time, but right now we're heading southwards to Otta.

Dropping off the goods at WW.

Continuing the Halloween vibe.

My attempts at customising my truck are never very serious or convincing, sorry about that. At least I didn't paint the tyres green. I went through a phase of actually painting the tyres... because you can.

Driving down to Otta without a cargo, didn't find one I liked at Dombas.

Right, that must be Otta, nestling amongst the trees.

It's about lunchtime, so we stopped off at another hotel.

I think we really upped the tone of the place. They must have been sad to see us go.

Then my colleague took over, and we picked up an elegant new trailer to take to Lillehammer.
Cheers! Anni

krigl

03 Nov 2023 16:41

Driving from Otta down to Lillehammer this time.

Leaving Otta.

A fast train roars by.

Barn No.1

Valhalla? Almost.

Barn No.2

After the jötnar started smoking, it was a hard job for mortals to collect all the butts.

An altogether wider river at this point, not sure if it's the same river as earlier on this trip though. It's never the same river twice, though, is it?

Wider still.

The colourful village of Favang.

We've reached the famous resort of Lillehammer.

It's been a beautiful route so far, and there are still 2 sets to go before we wrap it up in Oslo.
Cheers! Anni

krigl

04 Nov 2023 11:27

Continuing southwards through central Norway today - well more like lower Norway by now I guess - from Lillehammer to Hamal.

First, however, we need to make the delivery to Lillehammer.

Delivery made, we swapped cabs with another driver. A dragon at sunset, very appropriate.

The sun is indeed getting ever lower in the sky. I was hoping we'd make it from Trondheim to Oslo in one day and brought a colleague with me to share driving duties, but it's not going to happen. We'll just have to settle for the next... settlement on the route - Hamar - and finish the trip the next morning.

So, what have W and W got for us today.

A train!!! My deputy driver was a bit nervous about carrying such a load. 'I didn't sign up for this', he whined, in best Commander Shepard style, but I managed to calm him down.

'Just remember your training', I said.

Leaving Lillehammer behind.

It's a long way from New York City.

What NOW?

Oh, okay.

Just waiting.

At last.

My helper was beginning to warm to the task by now and feel a lot more confident. He says I'm a first class coach.

Approaching Hamar now.

There's nowhere to sleep in this place, but our company has good relations with the local DSV facility - they said we can park nearby and sleep there.

Our relations have probably gone down a notch, however, as my deputy unexpectedly lost control of the vehicle as we were heading down the hill, and veered off into the grass. We were going quite slowly, so I've no idea what happened.

They called a local farmer, and he gave us a bit of a helping pull to get us back on the road. My helper was terribly embarrassed, but I don't think it was really his fault.

Although the cab has two bunks, he produced a lightweight tent from a sports bag and said he'd camp outside. Suits me, really, though I made a polite show of not minding if he stays. There are two bunks, after all.

It was hard to fall asleep after the accident, but eventually the sound of the wind through the grasses and frogs croaking sent me off.
We'll complete the journey to Oslo and check out some of that city in the next set.
Anni

krigl

04 Nov 2023 19:27

Finishing the journey to Oslo this time.

Leaving Hamar. Had my deputy drive again - best way for him to get over his accident, I figure. Can't have an employee at our trucking firm who's too scared to drive. And he did fine.

A last bit of open landscape before we reach the big city.

I guess we're coming to the point where PM will somehow segue into the old DLC.

Right about here, perhaps.

Yeah, maybe. The houses on the horizon are 'cardboard cutouts'. Perhaps PM extended this area when starting the road north.

This part of Oslo is pretty nice, anyhow.

A very narrow tunnel this time.

A very tactile-looking road.

Alright, this is probably SCS DLC-era scenery for sure.

Hmmm... or not?

One last tunnel between us and our delivery point - the port.

Well, that looks very detailed. PM again? I don't know, I give up. In any case, Oslo looks pretty nice, and makes a pleasant end to our epic trip.

Here we are at last.

Delivery complete, and with it the first, slightly smaller, half of the Central Norway tour. A second similarly, or possibly even more stunningly scenic journey is still to come - from Dombas to Trondheim via Molde and Kristiansund on the coast.
Thanks for popping in! Anni

krigl

05 Nov 2023 22:58

Today we start the first leg of our second journey in PM's central Norway - Dombas to Trondheim, via Andalsnes, Molde, Kristiansund and Orkanger.

Picking up the trailer in Dombas.

Leaving Dombas behind.

Cabin in the woods.

Picturesque hamlet.

We're heading roughly west or northwest to Andalsnes, though we won't quite make it there today as the scenery was amazing, so I took a lot of shots.

Good feeling of scale.

This route has some of the most impressive countryside scenery I've ever seen from PM...

Another colourful hamlet.

Approaching Andalsnes. We'll get there next time.
Anni

krigl

06 Nov 2023 09:56

In this set we continue our drive towards Molde in central Norway through beautiful scenery, passing through Andalsnes and Veblungsnes

Here's the lovely town of Andalsnes. Tried to translate it: best google could give me was that nes = nose. Can it really be true that the two places we're visiting today are called Andal's Nose and Veblung's Nose? Seems unlikely... Veblung in particular doesn't look like a person's name. Wikipedia didn't help much either, but I did learn that oil rigs were made and salmon farmed here, that the scenery is considered some of the best in the country (seems about right) and the nearby Troll Wall (Trollveggen) was an early BASE jumping site. You can learn a lot by simply reading about every place you visit in these trucking games...

Loki likes it here.

Crossing the river to Veblungsnes.

View of the fjord.

And ahead, a spectacular mountain view. Perfect place.

Veblungsnes.

So picturesque around here!!! We'll complete the journey to Molde in the next set.
Anni

krigl

06 Nov 2023 10:11

Completing our trip from Dombas to Molde in this set - Veblungsnes to Molde.

Got even more camera-happy than usual on this trip. The scenery is really exceptional, though...

Just about to cross the Tresfjord Bridge.

Bonus side view.

Looking at google maps, it is clear that some liberties had to be taken with the local geography, but PM really captured the feel of the area, I think.

A boatyard which we'll deliver to from Kristiansund in a couple of sets.

Vestnes, perhaps. We're about to catch a ferry to Molde.

Great little detail.

The queue for the ferry. We took the left lane, hee hee.

The ferry deposited us here in Molde - another picturesque place.

Let's make that delivery, then.

It was late in the day by the time everything was dealt with, so I found a place to park and watch the sun set.

And then got asked to move, so finished the job here. The next stage in the journey from Dombas to Trondheim - over to Kristiansund, and then back through Molde to Vestnes. West Nose, obviously. Maybe.
Cheers! Anni

krigl

08 Nov 2023 09:51

Today we're driving from Molde to Kristiansund via the Storseisundbrua.

Post-repaint and tune-up in our garage in Molde. What great views from the windows!

We're taking a cargo from a Boliden quarry somewhere northwestish from Molde, if I remember correctly.

Paused at the marina to check out the atmosphere and the short video PM have added there - a nice detail.

A strange and puzzling structure.

Off to the jobsite.

Here we are.

The village of Malmefjorden is right next to Boliden.

Just beyond the village. It isn't far from Molde to Kristiansund, but as always in this area there's plenty to see!

Now for the main attraction of the set - the Storseisundbrua - which I'm going to attempt a translation of without checking google - the East Seisund Bridge. Ta-da.

Wonderful views again.

A magical place.

Approaching Kristiansund now.

Yep, this is it.

A very complex and attractive place, Kristiansund. We'll visit it in the next set.
Anni

krigl

08 Nov 2023 17:24

Mainly touring Kristiansund today. We won't be back, so there's just one chance to capture it in its full glory...

...and what glory it is! Tons of delicious detail.

Diggers to deliver.

Down... there....???

That way looks a bit safer...

All right then. The jobsite icon was at the bottom of the ramp. Probably best not to let my deputy drive for this one.

Done! Let's go and check out the area some more.

Reversed along the narrow road to the end, just in case it was tricky to turn around. Rewarded with more fine views.

On the way back again.

A handy arrangement, especially if the sea gets a bit feisty.

New job - to take these watercraft back via the Gjemnessund Bridge to Molde and then to that boatyard near Veblungnes. It's the boats with fans on! Happy dance time.

Back under the bridge.

Whoops.

Farewell Kristiansund, it was nice.

Oh wait, one more viewpoint to go!

Alright, definitively goodbye this time.

The Gjemnessund, i.e. Gjemnes Strait (we also use 'sound' for such a landscape feature sometimes).

And here we are starting across the Gjemnessundbrua...

...with a pleasantly Norwegian tiny-house-on-an-island in attendance.
Next set - we complete the delivery, and set off from Molde on the last leg of this journey from Dombas to Trondheim.
Anni

Return to “Share the love”

• Information