Inclusion of conflicted areas

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
n4gix.bill.leaming
Donation rank:

27 Aug 2015 17:19

If I may repeat myself, this very topic of discussion is in and of itself a perfect illustration of a civil discourse, but even so the wildly divergent opinions make it crystal clear that ProMods is entirely correct to steer clear of these disputed areas!

Concentrate first on the other unmapped areas. Who know, by the time those areas are 100% covered, some if not all of these "disputed areas" may have reached an accommodation with one another! 8-)
Fr. Bill
Global Moderator

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

M4rkus

27 Aug 2015 17:39

You mean that politics might be faster than Promods' mapping?

LA-MJ
Donation rank:

27 Aug 2015 18:04

Ouch? :D

MistahDave
Donation rank:

27 Aug 2015 19:50

I don't see any reason to omit these regions if you do it carefully. The towns in the regions could be represented with out necessarily naming the regions or putting flags there to distinguish who's "in control". That said, you could also follow what it is like in real life. For example with Kosovo, you could put the Kosovo flag because it is there in real life. That way you aren't picking a side necessarily you are only re creating what is actually there.

People do seem to be under estimating the ammount of tension around Kosovo and Serbia, not to mention the Balkans in general. You only have to drive a Croatian car in Montenegro for example and you could be spat at. I imagine Serbia and Kosovo is much worse.

In the mean time though, there is plenty of other stuff to build and rebuild before we will even come to these areas of conflicts so there is a lot of time to work out how to do it before we will even come to be near to building in those areas!

Starfruit 017

27 Aug 2015 21:44

I think you should, include conflicted areas, e.g Donetsk and Lugansk republics and make roadblocks in that area too would be interesting, as trucks still need to deliver food and vital supplies to the areas.

If people don't like the real life situation, you DONT need to drive down there! Problem solved in my opinion...
Join my forum : My Forum!

View my Projects: My Map Work

volan123
Donation rank:

27 Aug 2015 21:47

I just think that Promods shouldn't really map in countries that are in active confict cause people are gonna presume that Promods has become a political organisation and are vying for one side or another. It's best to avoid them for now for everyone's sake :)
Founder of Project Balkans (formerly known as Slovenia map project)

Our thread
My Youtube channel
Facebook page
For more info, please PM me!

Starfruit 017

27 Aug 2015 21:51

MistahDave wrote:People do seem to be under estimating the ammount of tension around Kosovo and Serbia, not to mention the Balkans in general. You only have to drive a Croatian car in Montenegro for example and you could be spat at. I imagine Serbia and Kosovo is much worse.
Macedonia has had problems recently.

I wonder if RusMap will include Crimea...?

Moderator's note: Enver, in the future please EDIT your post instead of creating another one. Thanks!
Join my forum : My Forum!

View my Projects: My Map Work

Westwood255
Donation rank:

28 Aug 2015 01:14

ENVER HOXHA wrote: Macedonia has had problems recently.

I wonder if RusMap will include Crimea...?
If you're refering to all those refugees attempting to get on a train in Macedonia after crossing the border from Greece, it isn't a problem regarding Macedonias sovereignty and thus not making Macedonia a conflicted area like other areas mentioned ;)
927 hours of Euro Truck Simulator 2 played

Profile 1:
HQ: Berlin [DE]
Level 58 (Legend)
Distance driven: 242.241 km

Profile 2:
HQ: København [DK]
Level 39 (Elite)
Distance driven: 119.594 km

Rocar 512E

28 Aug 2015 09:50

Rusmap concentrates on Northen and Southern russia.

Purno
Donation rank:

28 Aug 2015 16:14

Personally, I think we should make those areas and resemble the real-life situation as we always do.

Skipping these areas is both
  • Unrealistic
  • Making a political statement
What I had been thinking about, considering the Crimea area, is as followed;
  • Since AFAIK most countries haven't recognized the Russian claim on the area, it's officially considered part of Ukraine by most countries and foreign institutes. Thus, it'd be part of Ukraine on the world map.
  • It is however occupied by Russian-alligned people, who, I assume, tore down Ukrainian flags and put up Russian flags. They'd probably added some kind of road-block or border control at the border with the rest of Ukraine. Those things can be resembled in the virtual world.
Basically, world map and the game world itself wouldn't match. IMO this is a realistic solution that takes no political side, and only tries to resemble the area as best as it is.

However, by the time we're actually getting close to making the area, the real life situation may already be changed, and we'll have to rethink this whole thing through.

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information