Assets & General Improvements

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
adgjl
Donation rank:

01 Jun 2015 16:06

They are quite big but also have a lot more information on than just one city. On roundabout exits, for example, there are often several signs on top of each other about local destinations, regional destinations, tourist destinations (brown signs) etc.
Bugs are love, bugs are life

MistahDave
Donation rank:

01 Jun 2015 16:19

Actually Purno, I am excited to see how you make bi-lingual road signs when the time comes to rebuild Wales. For example:

https://goo.gl/maps/w3Ot1

And on second thoughts, the size is completely fine.

Tijzemaes
Donation rank:

01 Jun 2015 16:46

MistahDave wrote:Actually Purno, I am excited to see how you make bi-lingual road signs when the time comes to rebuild Wales. For example:

https://goo.gl/maps/w3Ot1

And on second thoughts, the size is completely fine.
There are already bilingual signs in Wales if I'm right...
#JeSuisCharlie

MistahDave
Donation rank:

01 Jun 2015 16:48

Yeah, but they're pretty basic. I'm thinking more in the long term when the UK gets rebuild, and the fancy new sign system gets implemented!

Purno
Donation rank:

01 Jun 2015 18:50

MistahDave wrote:Yeah, but they're pretty basic. I'm thinking more in the long term when the UK gets rebuild, and the fancy new sign system gets implemented!
I'm sure that'll be done "when the UK gets rebuild". That latter will take a while though. For now, these few signs I placed should make these places a little less 'standard'.

MistahDave
Donation rank:

01 Jun 2015 19:45

Oh of course. I am just getting ahead of myself. Any extra signs look good and I don't think they're too big so yeaaah ;D

daelf

02 Jun 2015 00:46

Good to see a small update to the UK; thanks, Purno :)

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

03 Jun 2015 21:42

So I finally got this thing working...

It may not seem like much, but under the hood, a lot has been done here. What you see here is a model based road from the new road system that looks like something from the old road system. It took quite some effort to get this working (bloody material shaders that didn't want to co-operate) and I need ZModeler to get this working properly, but I finally managed to get it completely working (including the texture transitions)

"Why use the old graphics style if you have the new road textures from the DLC?", you may ask. Well, here is the clever part: the texture mapping and the dimensioning of the new road system is EXACTLY the same as the old system. This means you can transit between the two SEAMLESSLY! And that means we can fit the new roads to the old ones without anyone noticing the difference in style, other than the way more flexible road marking options.

These are the benefits that the new system has compared to the old one:
  • Creating 4 and 5 lane roads without having to use railing models for road markings.
  • Creating county-specific road markings, giving the roads a more genuine appearance.
  • Creating proper block markings with a different line spacing than the other markings, long dashes, single-sided passing restrictions and what-not.
  • Integrating geometry-based elements to the roads, such as cats-eyes in the UK.
This means that all work-around methods we required before are now obsolete :D
The way the roads are going to look in ProMods is about to be revolutionised...

Best,
MandelSoft
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

adgjl
Donation rank:

03 Jun 2015 22:16

Hell yeah! Great job on working this out Mandelsoft, it sounds like it's pretty complicated :P I can't wait to see the new road markings in action :D Once again ProMods is moving up a level!
Bugs are love, bugs are life

LoaderSaints

04 Jun 2015 08:23

AWESOME! :mrgreen:

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information