Development on version 1.x (Finland - Project Napapiiri)

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
ZelvaCZ

10 Mar 2015 15:42

Well, I have to agree too, although not totally.

- it's quite unrealistic*
- the snow textures which are already in game don't have so much quality imo
- snow requires snow models and we don't have a lot of them

+ it gives more variation when driving
+ it really makes you feel you are driving in the north
+ snowy roads can be quite challenging - we already have one in Iceland and it's almost impossible to get up the hill with underpowered truck

*together with DLC Scandinavia and new weather system, we might get more options to edit weather parameters such as temperature etc., but I can't really confirm it, it's just a speculation

But this is just my own opinion, not opinion of the team or anyone else ;)

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

10 Mar 2015 15:45

Quaristice wrote:I'm personally against snow in northern areas, ETS2 takes place during the middle of summer, judging by the length of the day, so unless you're in the pole you'll only see snow on the top of the mountains.
Yeah but sometime the late summer times will end. I adjust my weather and season mods depending on the "day" it is. Since it started from a Monday in 2012, I (although some of you will disagree) took this in note that it started in 2/1/2012. So add the 640 "days" and you'll end up in Autumn 2013. That's why I've got the Autumn mod up and running.

Anyway, to the topic I still maintain that there should be snow. OK, if there isn't any, maybe no ice, but if you put snow in Iceland, why not in Northern Finland?
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

10 Mar 2015 20:59

From what I've seen from WIP material, Northern Finland will have snow, however, it's not fully covered; you will see patches of snow, so you get a variation of snow and grass...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

tkk7406
Add-on Developer

10 Mar 2015 21:01

MandelSoft wrote:From what I've seen from WIP material, Northern Finland will have snow, however, it's not fully covered; you will see patches of snow, so you get a variation of snow and grass...
That's a good idea.
Cheers,
tkk7406, an Image, Image, Image who beta-tests, moderates and develops at Promods

Dannu
Donation rank:

10 Mar 2015 21:47

I have seen snow on Rovaniemi and on Tornio/Haaparanta/Haparanda.
Ex-ProMods Beta Tester from 1.90 to 2.64

marknemensis

12 Mar 2015 08:10

MrSimsFaniFIN wrote:
marknemensis wrote:
MrSimsFaniFIN wrote:Here in Tornio is still snow!
Well as you know i live 30 kilometers south from tornio, so here is snow as well :D
But the main point was that the game is set to summer, so in summer here is no snow.
But if platypus likes to put snow somewhere, it's his decision and i appreciate it.

PS: Sometimes it has snowed on june here, but it's pretty unusual.. :P
In Kemi? Or Simo?
In kemi! :) If kemi wasn't between oulu and tornio, it could have been built (perhaps), because kemi has TWO big paper factories, and many transportation companies. But maybe as "scenery" ? ;)
Over 2000 hours with ETS2 and Promods!

Dannu
Donation rank:

12 Mar 2015 08:47

Yeah, with Isohaara power plant and Kemijoki in Keminmaa, if possible. But, do what do you want.

ZelvaCZ

12 Mar 2015 12:11

marknemensis wrote:If kemi wasn't between oulu and tornio, it could have been built (perhaps), because kemi has TWO big paper factories, and many transportation companies. But maybe as "scenery" ? ;)
In my opinion, Oulu is not really a problem. Tornio is, as it's only around 20 km away. But maybe it could be done as a small town with 1 or 2 companies (as e.g. Porvoo is).
However, I'm not the Finland developer and it's just my opinion. I know that Platypus has already done some work in the area and if it's well advanced, I don't think it's a very good idea to modify it.

Dannu
Donation rank:

12 Mar 2015 14:14

Oulu is 130 kilometers from Tornio. Kemi is 20 kilometers from Tornio.

ZelvaCZ

12 Mar 2015 15:43

MrSimsFaniFIN wrote:Oulu is 130 kilometers from Tornio. Kemi is 20 kilometers from Tornio.
That's what I said :) 130 km is not a problem.

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information