Development on version 1.x (British Columbia Edition)

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
Shiva

28 Dec 2020 18:46

Cheers :)
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

sp0q

29 Dec 2020 14:01

Holy crap, the Salmon Arm uphill offroad track is something else. Got myself into transporting a logging machine, the whole set weighs around 160k lbs and there's no way in heaven I'm pulling it up there. I have a Kenworth W900 with a 500hp engine (6x4 chassis) and I've managed to somewhere half way up, doing magic things with the throttle to keep the wheels from spinning but the trailer is like a god damn anchor. I think I'm gonna end up abandoning it :/

edit. I've installed Real Eaton Fuller Transmissions mod and mounted one with a really high ratio, got back there making barely 30mph :D But it's just undoable for me, the tires can't manage the torque and spin on the gravel. I've switched to sequential so I could keep it in a single gear with stable revs but no go. And once it stops I can't manage to pull it more than a few inches before they lose traction. Tried gears 1 through 6, higher than that it won't even move the wheels. Maaaaaaybe if I had a clutch I'd be able to let it slip juuust right but maaan :/ bummer.

Wetarms

29 Dec 2020 19:15

oriz wrote:
09 Dec 2020 19:03
Hey :)
First thanks for the map :)
Second thing i wanted to report (and i'm not sure this is the right place but i haven't seen other places) that since ive installed promods canada my overall fps went down significantly from stable 75 locked to 60 and sometime to 30. Ive tried playing with all kind of graphics settings and reducing the drawing distance with the def file but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?
I noticed the same thing - I wonder if vegetation etc is all more dense then other maps and the detail is taxing my PC - If drive slower it is better, making me feel there is a lot of detail being redrawn constantly as I go past it. I have zero experience doing what these guys do, so no idea if it is a price we pay for detail, or if future versions will have some sort of optimization applied. I could also turn my settings down, buy the current ones work and look good on the SCS maps, which encompass more of my driving... For now I am keeping my speed below 65mph and living with the lower frame rates

ScuL
Founder

30 Dec 2020 00:31

Are you talking about FPS drops while driving in ProMods areas or elsewhere on the map?
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

stumpfarmer

30 Dec 2020 03:47

sp0q wrote:
29 Dec 2020 14:01
Holy crap, the Salmon Arm uphill offroad track is something else. Got myself into transporting a logging machine, the whole set weighs around 160k lbs and there's no way in heaven I'm pulling it up there. I have a Kenworth W900 with a 500hp engine (6x4 chassis) and I've managed to somewhere half way up, doing magic things with the throttle to keep the wheels from spinning but the trailer is like a god damn anchor. I think I'm gonna end up abandoning it :/

edit. I've installed Real Eaton Fuller Transmissions mod and mounted one with a really high ratio, got back there making barely 30mph :D But it's just undoable for me, the tires can't manage the torque and spin on the gravel. I've switched to sequential so I could keep it in a single gear with stable revs but no go. And once it stops I can't manage to pull it more than a few inches before they lose traction. Tried gears 1 through 6, higher than that it won't even move the wheels. Maaaaaaybe if I had a clutch I'd be able to let it slip juuust right but maaan :/ bummer.
As someone who works in the logging industry in BC, that's actually how the roads are up here. Generally lowbed trucks hauling loaders and other heavy logging equipment will require some assistance up an adverse via a push, pull or both from a skidder or whatever's around. Plenty of times they'll stop and unload the machines just before the destination because the road is just not suitable. They're meant for logging trucks, we just bring lowbeds up there anyways because it's faster than walking the equipment. Often times we'll shed a jeep or a booster for maneuverability once we're off the public roads since weight laws are no longer an issue, unless there's a bridge with a low load rating on the route. Logging trucks even are generally pushing 600+hp engines on locking tridrives since the terrain is usually steep enough to warrant it anywhere you go out there, let alone that our legal highway GVW on most trucks is around 138,000lbs. Food for thought, I guess.
On that note, I love the work you guys have done and almost everything I have seen is incredibly true to the real thing. Can't wait to see another update, keep up the great work!

Wetarms

30 Dec 2020 16:21

ScuL wrote:
30 Dec 2020 00:31
Are you talking about FPS drops while driving in ProMods areas or elsewhere on the map?
Only in the Promods area for me

ScuL
Founder

31 Dec 2020 07:34

Well I'd be inclined to say that is normal. We have different limits for texture and memory usage compared to SCS which allows us to add more detail.
SCS has the duty to optimise the game even for the crappiest entry level PCs which means cutting corners.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Wetarms

31 Dec 2020 16:19

I also run triple monitors meaning any details have to be stay 'on screen' longer so I expect that adds to the performance hit. Overall it is not that bad, and so worth it to be able to drive Canada.

SimYouLater

12 Jan 2021 10:00

Love your work! Would donate the price of a cup of coffee, but it seems you really do this as a labor of love and don't even want to profit off the merch sales, so I hope our gratitude is enough!

Is there any chance of improving the Alex Fraser Bridge? As a BC resident who hasn't lived in the Lower Mainland since I was 6, I couldn't tell which bridge was the Alex Fraser without the help of my dad who has been around the Vancouver area more than me. When we finally realized which bridge it was, I noticed that the bridge model you used looked more like this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable-sta ... idge02.jpg ...than like the actual bridge... https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... Bridge.jpg

One other thing. Are there any plans to include Grand Forks, BC in a pending expansion? If you go north from Colville, Washington in the game, Grand Forks is listed on a sign so it wouldn't be unreasonable to put Grand Forks on your map, and I'd love to see my hometown and maybe even put a garage there!

bricksathome
Developer

12 Jan 2021 12:08

Thanks for the feedback :D

The Alex Fraser Bridge actually isn't present in game at all, heading north it goes from the BC-99xBC-17 junction, to SkyBridge, Patullo Bridge and then the Port Mann Bridge. I assume it was left out due to the limited space caused by the game's scale and looking at the remaining space available, I'm doubtful that it will be added in the future.

I would say there's a high chance of Grand Forks being added when when head in that direction, yes
The Best Way To see What I've been Doing Recently Is To Click Here!
http://www.youtube.com/c/bricksathome1

Currently working in mid Wales in ETS2
and the area around Kelowna and Vernon in ATS

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ATS”

• Information