[Fixed] [1.01] Game crash when opening job list

This is where fixed bugs are moved into
BULIGO

16 Oct 2013 17:34

@ Moh1336:
One thought that is bugging me: maybe MAYBE it's not the total number of CITIES discovered, maybe it depends onthe number of 'job givers' that causes the bug.
My plan: find a map spot where there are 3 undiscovered cities nearby: one big ans 2-3 small ones. Then save before the big city. Now enter the city, and count how many 'firms' there are, how many transport givers? maybe 3-6. Then go to each of the small cities and count their numbers.
In my case, when the next city to discover was a small one, the bug didnt appear, but when I discovered the next one, big or small, the bug happened, just like if the first city to discover was a big one. Conclusion: if you are 'short' of say, 6 questgivers before triggering the bug, and the big city has 6+ questgivers, the bug is there. If not, if you instead go to discover small towns, the moment you accumulate 6+ questgivers, you reach the ctirical number and crash the game.

Just some observations, because it looks ike when you try to put more questgivers on the job's list (world, total), you trigger the bug.
Someone said that it doesn't happen with the 'quick job', the one where you are hired as a driver. maybe that list is just ....shorter than the first list?
Don't want to sound paranoic, but i dont buy the thing that SCS has no clue about the whole shebang. They are the ones who did the project, they know the game's engine limits. How come the official addon is so small? Even compared to Scandinavia, they did not sweat many shirts to do the GoEast addon. Because they knew that more would crash the game? Just thinking loud...
Last edited by BULIGO on 16 Oct 2013 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

ScuL
Founder

16 Oct 2013 17:36

That's an interesting approach. This problem is really crazy.

I'm also interested to know whether update v1.6.0 makes any difference.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

BULIGO

16 Oct 2013 17:45

ScuL wrote:That's an interesting approach. This problem is really crazy.

I've seen the changelog of the 1.6 patch and there IS some mention about quick jobs generation stuff. It's an extremely short line, I did not understand what it actually means..
I am old enough to remember old style game's limitations, the 'numbers from hell' like 256, 65535 etc, one-byte numbers, two-bytes biggest numbers etc. :roll:

ScuL
Founder

16 Oct 2013 17:49

Yep it could well be that some random variable or array runs out of memory which causes the crash but unfortunately because nothing is logged it's so so hard to find out what makes it trip.

I actually suspect that it doesn't have anything to do with our map or our map content in specific but more so with the game running into some kind of memory limitation based on the number of cities, companies, routes/jobs, etc..
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

BULIGO

16 Oct 2013 18:05

@Scul:
Maybe you missed what I wrote yesterday in my very first post after registering here: I DO NOT own the Scandinavia map (I will, of course install it after I play some more of the TSM map, want to satisfy my craving for 'exotic places' first), nor the GoEast DLC, I have installed only the TSM 4.1 map. Mainly, that's why I regged here, to tell you guys that I am 100% sure your map is fine and has nothing to do with the bug, and ofc, to express my own experience which might help to find the culprit of te bug :)
After some time spent lurking in here, it seemed a nice place to join, this forum :)

NielsChristiansen
Donation rank:

16 Oct 2013 23:22

ScuL wrote:That's an interesting approach. This problem is really crazy.

It didn't make any difference for me. :|

BULIGO

17 Oct 2013 12:42

For a moment I thought the short-jobs extra generaton would change something, but it was not to be. The problem seems not to lie in the number of jobs, but rather in the number of job-givers. I did install a little mod that adds more jobs to choose from, and it didnt make a difference: same number of job givers, more jobs: all fine. I discover 3 more job-givers : kaboom. Dumb me, I forgot you can see all job-givers (firms) from the world map if you use the biggest (closest) zoom. I am planning to actually count the total number of job-givers discovered in my bogus bugged old profile. Might come up with an interesting number.
I started a new profile and this time il' take some care to NOT disclose places with jobs I never used in teh old profile, mostly two or several cities groupled close. Plus, it's a chance to drive (again) something else than my trusty SCANIA R 730 ;)
It suxx that I am forced to wrestle with a bugged game that I purchased wit perfectly bug-free money, oh well, the game is constantly reminding me that I use 'unauthorized' mods. No official support for them. Nice EULA haha.

Moh1336

17 Oct 2013 15:53

Two things I forgot to edit into my last post.

After reloading my main save and continuing to finish the Karlstad delivery, there was one thing I did differently. After completing the job I saved the game, not sure if this would really make a difference but maybe worth mentioning.

The other thing was at the time the crash occurred my system was using a lot of memory on some background tasks I was running. Now normally I do not run these tasks when playing ETS2 as it does take up nearly half of my RAM and since I have not had the issue before, it may give more stock in it being a memory issue when loading the job list.

NielsChristiansen
Donation rank:

17 Oct 2013 16:15

Moh1336 wrote:...The other thing was at the time the crash occurred my system was using a lot of memory on some background tasks I was running. Now normally I do not run these tasks when playing ETS2 as it does take up nearly half of my RAM and since I have not had the issue before, it may give more stock in it being a memory issue when loading the job list.
Hmm, I run Win7 64 on a 8GB RAM system, the game still crashes. Would it be worthwhile to experiment with the mem_pool thing or even attempt to apply the Large Adress Aware patch to this game (I think it gives programmes/games 3GB adressability instead of the 2GB 32bit limit)?
I certainly don't mind helping out here, but would also seriously appreciate input from more clueful people (Nico, ScuL?) about where to go from here.
New profile? Discover roads/industries only in PM territory or GE DLC territory? Both? Help me to help you please. :geek:
Happy trucking (even if I'm sans Scandinavia atm :( )

BULIGO

18 Oct 2013 23:25

Did the 1.6 or 1.6.1 patch fixed anything about this bug?

Return to “Fixed bugs ETS2”

• Information