Modding Q&A

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
ProblamBeMe

09 Oct 2015 17:08

Creating own map, how could I make a map backround such as in europe.mbd (official SCS map)?

Eryman
Developer

12 Oct 2015 22:43

You need a map image in .mat format, put it on material/editor folder then set the coordinates on "editor_data.sii"
(Don't ask me how to create a .mat file haha)

The brazilian guy of ProMods

ETS2-User
Developer

13 Oct 2015 09:49

Er… no. The background map should be a dds image at this very location. Mat files are nothing else but a text document saved in a certain coding.
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

omer584

14 Oct 2015 16:49

I have a question.

I read that you can create objects on 3 DS MAX and somehow you can convert it to use in PROMOD.

My first question is while creating a highway intersection sign, do you add writings, highway, intersection numbers, arrows on 3 DS Studio MAX or do you add them with another method?

I have one more question that can I use Solidworkd 2012 instead of 3 DS Studio?

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

14 Oct 2015 18:17

omer584 wrote:I read that you can create objects on 3 DS MAX and somehow you can convert it to use in PROMOD.
While you can use 3D Studio to model, it can't export to the native format that ETS2 uses. For that, you need to export your model into another format (3DS, DAE, OBJ, Collada) to be imported again in one of the two programs that can export to the ETS2 model format: ZModeler 3 or Blender (with either the Blender2SCS or SCS's own Blender tool set). You always need to deal with one of these two programs for the final export.

One tip I can recommend you is trying to import signs that are already existing in the game and study the elements and structures it is being composed of. Such examples have taught me a lot about the inner workings of ETS2 and its assets.
omer584 wrote:My first question is while creating a highway intersection sign, do you add writings, highway, intersection numbers, arrows on 3 DS Studio MAX or do you add them with another method?
This is something where the game is really efficient in model-usage: instead of re-texturing every sign, you can use dummy objects called "hookups". These hookups can be things like truck wheels, light sources, flares, but also dynamic overlay textures. In the case for signs, you have two options now:
  • the "old" method using "overlays": up to the Scandinavia DLC, this was the only method. Basically, you have static set of 256×64 pixel texture of things like placenames (64×64 four route shields) that are assigned to each hookup. Each sign could hold up to 6 different place names and 3 different route shields.
  • the "new" method using the in-game sign editor to create sign templates: this method is a bit harder to grasp, and it does require some DEF management (since each sign template is saved as an SII file, which you have to re-pack just like map sectors), but it is really flexible once you know how this works. Basically, instead of defining where city names are route shields are located on the sign, you define the location and size of an editable area on the sign with a hookup. Within this area, you can place all sort of stuff in the sign editor. Check out the sign template section in the Editor to see what the possibilities are, how these things work.
omer584 wrote:I have one more question that can I use Solidworkd 2012 instead of 3 DS Studio?
Whatever works, as long as it can export any of the formats I explained above (3DS, DAE, OBJ, Collada).
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

omer584

15 Oct 2015 13:31

Thank you mandelsoft for your answer but my situation is a little bit difficult. The road signs I want to create and use in ETS2 are Turkish Highway signs.

An example: Image

So there are no matching road signs in ETS2 library and that's why I want to create a brand new one.

With quality of PROMOD :)

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

15 Oct 2015 15:22

Yes, I did understand that you want to make new ones. But if you want to make new signs, you better can start to get to know how the current signs work.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

16 Oct 2015 03:46

omer584 wrote:Thank you mandelsoft for your answer but my situation is a little bit difficult. The road signs I want to create and use in ETS2 are Turkish Highway signs.

An example: Image

So there are no matching road signs in ETS2 library and that's why I want to create a brand new one.

With quality of PROMOD :)
That long sign there is no need for a new model. In sign menu, press create new template, then press From existing template, find a sign with the general shape, and then edit the template of it to have the text and images in the correct area (I do this for some things when I map) sadly I don't think Promods included the Turkey font, so you have to make that too. But the second sign you should again find a sign with the general shape, but you then make a copy of it, change the name of it, and then edit the .dds of the new copy you made to have that Blue outline on the sign.
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

gregory.huizer
Donation rank:

19 Oct 2015 08:41

What are good settings for these options in the economy_data.sii?
Is this for the quick jobs and what do they do?

no_cargo_prob: 0.25 # 25% prob. of empty cargo slot
cargo_validity_min: 12 # 12 min
cargo_validity_max: 120 # 120 min

gregory.huizer
Donation rank:

23 Oct 2015 07:27

I wonder what the best economy_data.sii file looks like for a map that's close to a 1:1 scale...
Like there always have to be jobs because Rotterdam is always busy when it comes to freight.

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information