[Fixed] The persistent OpenGL font bug

This is where fixed bugs are moved into
RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

02 Feb 2016 21:58

I am x-posting this from SCS forum. I noticed that the OpenGL font/texture bug had been moved to the Fixed thread, but (sorry), I am still seeing it as of PM2 and latest Steam version of ETS2. It is not an all-or-nothing problem, i.e. it is not as simple as "adding any mods to ETS2 with OpenGL will trash the small font."

SCS forum post:

Hi all, I am still struggling with this issue, though my results may be slightly different from what's discussed here... thought I'd add some data in the hope that someone will come up with a brilliant patch for this problem.

I am running on El Capitan (OSX) so OpenGL is my only option.

I do not see any degradation of textures in the visual environment outside the truck. The only problem I see is that the smaller size of font used in the Trip Advisor Screen and on the maps and job boards gets remapped to a filled boundary, that is, each character becomes a filled version of its glyph border. Example: an o becomes a rectangle, a g becomes a more complex shape made up of rectangular sections. This "redacted" look, once it happens, is irreversible.

I can trigger this bug in two ways. The first, or Worse version, happens as soon as I view the Job Market. The second, or Mild version, happens only when I am already in the Job Market and I scroll through the jobs offered to any page other than the first page. Once the font is gone, it's gone. After that the Trip Advisor and much of the menus and control panels are unreadable, and the only solution is to Quit and restart the game. This, for me, restores the font until I visit the Job Market again.

I have found that the bug comes and goes depending on exactly what mods are loaded and in what order. It is very hard to get any correlation with a particular mod. It almost looks (to an ignoramus about modding) like a memory management issue, i.e. something randomly stepping past an array boundary and clobbering a pointer to the font glyphs, that kind of thing.

I first noticed it with only ProMods loaded. Then I started adding more mods (but because I am a n00b, not in the recommended order). I put jazzycat's trailer mods near the end of the list, followed by Realistic Raindrops and Abasstreppas' Flare Pack and SISL's Realistic Flares. The bug was in Mild mode at that point. Then I made some change, I wish I could remember exactly what -- I removed SISL I think, because I was trying to figure out why the AI lights were on all day, not just at night.

The font bug went away! Hooray, I thought, somehow SISL's flare pack patch affects the problem. So I was all happy (except for a rather buggy area in Sweden near Stockholm, which I read today might be an interaction with jazzy's trailers)... until I tried to add RusMap 1.6. In the course of investigating RusMap I discovered that I had not been adding mods in the approved order, so I shuffled all my mods based on the best advice I could find by googling.

Oh boy, was that a bad idea. The fragile balance I had accidentally achieved was wrecked, and now the font bug is back with a vengeance, in Worse mode. I can't read the job board even on first opening it up. If I don't check the job board I will probably be fine, but checking the job board at all is likely to trash my font. The only part of the board that remains readable is the price per km :-) which does give me some idea of whether I want the job; so I can select a job on that basis, then Quit, then restart the game and have a fairly peaceful delivery run.

So this is my $0.02 to add to this OpenGL bug discussion: 1) in my case it affects *only* the small/medium size font, all other textures and game features seem fine; and 2) its behaviour changed depending on the load order of mods, not just on the existence of any mods at all or which particular mods are loaded. Order, for some reason, matters. Now I really wish I had written down or screen captured the mod order I had that was not triggering the bug! I have been trying to reconstruct it w/no success. I have backed out one mod after another, restarting the game with each change, but the bug is persisting. I have got rid of RusMap entirely, I have tried to restore the mod order (I think) I had before, but so far no luck.

O how I wish there were a Mod Manager log file that recorded all mod changes with datestamp. Is there?

Thanks for your patience and I hope this little bit of detail may help.
Last edited by Davyddin on 22 Oct 2018 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed
British living in Canada, over 60, Hackintosh AMD RX580/8GB, OSX Mojave
USBcycle
The Beginner's Guide to SCS Mapping (WIP)
All DLCs + ProMods (sometimes: + RusMap + SR + GreatSteppe) Level 43

RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

03 Feb 2016 06:45

More notes: this bug shows up with some kind of pattern.... more evidence...

Today after reloading from an auto-save and completing a delivery (in CZ) all was well. I could visit the jobs market and even scroll through the pages of jobs w/o font loss, view jobs offered starting in cities selected by clicking on the map. Everything was fine... until I selected "Mark as GPS route" or wtte, button at bottom of job list when you are not actually at the gate accepting it.

The font went away again after I selected this option. Trip Advisor unreadable etc. So I quit and restarted, and guess what, the font was bad already from a fresh start. (Somehow the badness is saved in the auto-save??) The job was offered in the same yard I had just delivered to, so I didn't really need my Trip Advisor :-) I drove over to the green cube at the gate, accepted the job, drove around to the yard, picked up the trailer, saved my game and Quit.

On restarting everything was just fine. Fonts all fine. All good. It is almost as if the bug only happens when I am between jobs. (Of course that is when I am most likely to be consulting the jobs market!) Does this help?
USBcycle

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

03 Feb 2016 07:30

I do not know of a solution but I know an easier way to change it back instead of quitting and restarting.
Whenever this bug happens go to the Graphics Settings, change the resolution to some random setting, hit Apply, and when it asks you "do you want to keep these changes?" just hit No so it goes back to what setting you were at before. Voila, the text is now fixed :)
Developer for England, Channel Islands and British Columbia.

JayCetic

03 Feb 2016 11:11

penguinaz wrote:I do not know of a solution but I know an easier way to change it back instead of quitting and restarting.
Whenever this bug happens go to the Graphics Settings, change the resolution to some random setting, hit Apply, and when it asks you "do you want to keep these changes?" just hit No so it goes back to what setting you were at before. Voila, the text is now fixed :)

Hahaha This solution is genius. Gave me a good laugh. But it does work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jay
------------------------------------------------------------------
The journey is more important than the destination.
------------------------------------------------------------------

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

03 Feb 2016 16:30

The font bug is bugging us for years now. If we would be able to find the root cause (and contrary to most bugs, this cause is very, VERY hard to find), then perhaps we can bust this bug once and for all. That would complete our OpenGL compatibility.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

RootlessAgrarian
Donation rank:

03 Feb 2016 20:15

@Mandel if there is anything I can do, any comparison test I can run or debug mode I can turn on, I am more than happy to spend a few hours helping gather data to find this darned bug. I am good test bunny I suppose because I have the Mac hardware, restricted to OpenGL only.

At present my only data points are: it has something to do with mods (doesn't seem to happen in vanilla game, though I can test this if you like); it has something to do with the Jobs Market (it never seems to happen if I don't visit the Market in one way or another); and of course it is an OpenGL problem. SISL (scs forum) is convinced that it's due to a corrupted TOBJ file in one or more mods. I don't know enough to have an opinion, but the "pseudo-randomness" of the effect reminds me of memory management errors; almost like taking the "wrong" path through the code overwrites some buffer that contained info about the font (like pointer to the table of glyphs) and once it's trashed it stays trashed. I will mosdef try your video-res fake-out, that would be much faster and easier than restarts... why that should fix it though, scratching my head.

Huge thanks for the workaround... let me know if there is any test regimen I can undertake that would help. I am an old s'ware engineer (retired) and not afraid to install gcc and build tools as needed for debug. I know almost nothing about 3d open world building but I did spend over 30 years debugging large bodies of code :-)
USBcycle

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

03 Feb 2016 21:20

There are no errors in the game.log when you just open the game, visit the job market and then leave it again. If it does, it may hint the location of a buggy file...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

04 Feb 2016 07:57

This bug does not produce any error message, so it incredibly difficult to fix

ScuL
Founder

18 Feb 2016 20:16

I bugged SCS with this bug again, and now they seem to have fixed it.

A comment from Eryk (dev):
I've added a little check when loading .tobj files and code that should correct the values if they are broken and can cause this issue and reports warning in console that the file is malformed.

The build with the fix should appear tomorrow (19.02) so in case it did not fixed the problem please let me know.
This means that this bugfix should be in the next version of ETS2 (1.23)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

penguinaz
Developer
Donation rank:

19 Feb 2016 00:40

Great news

Return to “Fixed bugs ETS2”

• Information