Map format documentation

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
octagonal

10 Feb 2016 12:45

Is there any documentation for the .mbd, .base, .aux, .desc map format available somewhere? Google doesn't find anything.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

10 Feb 2016 13:47

If you want to know what each file's function is, I can give you the following list:
  • .MBD: Map Binary Data file, which contains the basic map-wide properties, such as scale.
  • .DESC: Sector descriptor, which does practically nothing else than noting that this sector exists on the map.
  • .BASE: Base data of a sector, such as roads and fences.
  • .AUX: Auxiliary data, such as props and decorative objects.
If you want to use a text editor or something to edit them, you can't do much with them, since they are all binary files (AKA, unreadable to human eyes). However, you can use the map editor built in the game to edit these files. You can edit parts of the MBD data when pressing F9 in the editor.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

octagonal

10 Feb 2016 15:17

MandelSoft wrote:
  • .MBD: Map Binary Data file, which contains the basic map-wide properties, such as scale.
  • .DESC: Sector descriptor, which does practically nothing else than noting that this sector exists on the map.
  • .BASE: Base data of a sector, such as roads and fences.
  • .AUX: Auxiliary data, such as props and decorative objects.
This is neat, thanks.
MandelSoft wrote: If you want to use a text editor or something to edit them, you can't do much with them, since they are all binary files (AKA, unreadable to human eyes). However, you can use the map editor built in the game to edit these files. You can edit parts of the MBD data when pressing F9 in the editor.
I'm aware of this; I'd like to be able to edit a map with a custom tool so I'd basically need something like this to do it. I've tried reverse-engineering the .base files but I couldn't even figure out how the node coordinates etc. are stored. The only thing I've found are the map scale and city scale settings which are just floats, but everything else isn't it seems.

Edit: For example, let's say I have a map with a sector that only contains two road nodes, one at -388.74 / 0 / -219.71 and one at -161.23 / 0 / -120.64.
http://i.imgur.com/Sigwqv0.png

Now I'll change the X coordinate of the first node to -342.42 with the editor. Here's what the file looks like now, with changes highlit:
http://i.imgur.com/mgnGy9L.png

One of those has to be my X coordinate, but which one is it and what format is it in?

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

10 Feb 2016 16:45

We don't know. We never fiddled around with that stuff, so you are actually ahead of us on that front. Therefore, we are not able to help you.
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

octagonal

10 Feb 2016 17:12

I've just found some posts from someone on the SCS forums who has already done some work in this area:

http://forum.scssoft.com/search.php?aut ... 4&sr=posts

I should be able to find something useful there.

Edit: Turns out he doesn't understand the node format either.

ETS2-User
Developer

10 Feb 2016 18:39

I think you're pretty much the only one who's trying to decrypt these files. I'm afraid there isn't anyone who will be able to help you.
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

10 Feb 2016 20:27

Then my main question is: what's the practical purpose of it all? What exactly do you want to achieve with this?
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information